Thread: Your Way Sectional, Ottoman & Pillows

oaklandhills Guest

Default Your Way Sectional, Ottoman & Pillows

We purchased the Your Way Sectional, custom ottoman and sofa pillows from Duane, mostly sight unseen, and had the items dropped shipped from H&M to my husband’s work warehouse in Oakland, CA. Duane provided lots of great advice and I wouldn’t hesitate to order from him again. Additionally, the prices were comparable to what we would have spent at Room & Board, but the quality was significantly better (absolutely no comparison) and we expect our items to last the remainder of our lifetime.

The lighting isn’t great in the room because we had to close our living room shutters to minimize the glare for the photos, but I’ve attached some photos here because I appreciated the opportunity to view the many photos in the Forum before I placed our order. Also, the reason for the measuring tape is because I’m in the process of ordering custom coffee and end tables.

We ordered 21 oz extra firm seats and extra full backs, because we like to sit “on” our cushions, rather than sink “into” our cushions. The sectional and ottoman are Grade 3 Equestrian Saddle. The 18” square pillows (2 total) are Grade 3 Equestrian Saddle with Equestrian Toffee welt and Sonoma Butternut suede. The 18” round pillows (2 total) are Grade 3 Equestrian Toffee with Equestrian Saddle welt and button and Sonoma Chocolate suede. The square cowhide brindle pillow is from Room & Board.

If I had to do it again, I’d order more pillows (they’re so comfy that I wish I’d ordered at least 2 more!) and I wish I’d ordered extra full pillows. They’re fine now, but I expect they’ll flatten over time. Other than that, I don’t think I’d do anything different.

In case you're interested, here are the links for our custom tables that we're planning to order in eastern walnut.

http://www.thejoinery.com/furniture/...n-coffee-table
    http://www.thejoinery.com/furniture/...man-nightstand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sectional (front 1).jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	7750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coffee table new (top 2).jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	7751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	End table new (front).jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	7752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	End table current (side).jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	7753  
    Last edited by oaklandhills; 10-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.

oaklandhills Guest

Default Re: Your Way Sectional, Ottoman & Pillows

Oops, posted the wrong picture at the end. I meant to post this photo instead. We ordered our sectional with simple stitch cushions with no welt and I thought this photo might be helpful to those considering a cushion with no welt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	End table 2 (front).jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	7754

Thanks for sharing, as those are gorgeous pieces! The Sectional is out of this world beautiful in that leather choice and the way you've done the cushions is fantastic.

MattK Guest

Thanks for sharing and it looks great

Did you order in standard depth? We are on the fence as i prefer standard but the wife is set on the deeper.
    Last edited by MattK; 12-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.

oaklandhills Guest

We ordered standard depth and unless you've tried the deeper depth, I'd advise against it. I'm 5'3 and my husband is 5'11" and we find the standard to be plenty deep. We don't sleep on our sofa, but we tried laying down on it found it pretty comfortable. However, if you like to lay together (spoon), then you might want to consider going with the deeper depth.

In case you're interested, here are a couple of things I wish I'd done differently:
    1. Order extra extra firm cushions. We went with the extra firm cushions (not extra extra firm) and extra firm backs because we like a high crown. We also like to sit "on" rather than "in" our cushions. I've been surprised (and a tad disappointed) to see how flat the seat cushions already look after 3 months despite the extra firm cushions. Our last sofa was a 20-year Sherrill leather sofa and I don't see the H&M cushions going 20 years or even 10 years. I have a suspicion we'll need new seat cores by year 5, not b/c the leather is worn (highly recommend the grade 3 Equestrian leather, it truly is bullet proof), but because we don't like flat cushions. We're a two person household and probably spend 3-4 hours a day on our sofa during the week and often double that amount on weekends.
    2. Order more pillows! The ones Duane suggested look gorgeous and are really comfortable. We purchased two round pillows and two square pillows. I wish I'd ordered at least one more of each.
    3. Order extra firm pillows. They weigh and ton and get pretty flat quickly, so you have to fluff often.

What I wouldn't change:
    1. Order from Keeping Room! They really do have the BEST prices and Duane was really great about guiding me through the order process. In fact, he picked out my leather, wood type and advised me on my pillow selections.
    2. Order extra firm back cushions. I'm very happy I went with the extra firm back cushions as we find they provide great support.
    3. Order a custom matching ottoman. We wanted something that would be large enough to seat two people, but not too large that we couldn't use it as an every day ottoman with our sectional. Again, Duane helped us figure out the best height to go with our seat cushions and it worked out great.

By the way, everyone told me that no one likes sitting in the corner but that's actually my favorite seat! I love sitting in the corner with a couple of our comfy pillows behind me and my stretched legs across the seat cushions while watching TV or working on my laptop. It's like having a chaise lounge...

I hope that helps!

Oaklandhills....

Send me an email request and I will see if I can get you a set of 2x Firm cores for the sectional. That's REALLY firm, but I hear what you are preferring.

The pillows are down and goose feathers, you can't order firm in those! You can get them extra full, which will bulk them up a little.

Thanks for the recommendation!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.