Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for that perfect sofa

mandyg Guest

Question Looking for that perfect sofa

Hello! New here
    I found this forum recently as I searched for how to find a quality sofa, brand, and then searching reviews. I appreciate all the great info available on this site.
    My husband and I found a local store that carries good quality furniture, but none of the styles we like are on the floor. I'm scared to order something I can't try first. Previously we've bought based on looks and limited budget only to be disappointed within the year. Now we have a much nicer budget and experience to know what not to do.
    We found a Bradington Young sofa we like, Connery from the motion sectional line. It sits great for us and the gray/taupe leather is nice, but we aren't in love with the overall style for the cost. The reclining seats are a nice feature we weren't expecting, but not enough to seal the deal. We like the lines of the sofas available from the Envision line better than the more traditional sofas, but worry about durability and quality. We also have 3 kids and 2 cats that will all be climbing all over the furniture. Any suggestions for a sofa that sits firm but cozy, clean lines/mid-century look, and still durable and quality?
    Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Looking for that perfect sofa

You can view each and every Bradington-Young style and / or Hancock and Moore style on each of their web sites respectively. Duane handles both of these manufacturing lines at The Keeping Room so once you decide on a style and cover, he can provide a quote including shipping. We had our H&M sofa delivered to Ohio from Virginia for about $250. Also, each of these manufacturers has a Dealer Locator feature on their web site, so you can find all Dealers in your area once you choose a style and call around to see if they have the piece in their show room.

One thing to keep in mind if your kids are say 14 and younger, is that recliner sofas attract kids to play with them like bears to honey. There are no safety stops in these scissor mechanisms and they can have a slicing effect if a finger or cat's tail gets caught in there. Also, recliner mechanisms can and do get damaged by kids climbing on them when the are extended. For a busy household with young children and pets, and to avoid trips to the Emergency Room and/or Vet, I'd suggest you get a stationary sofa and then a big ottoman to go out in front of it. The comfort level will be the same with the ottoman, its much stronger and no moving parts to catch little hands in. Bradington Young brand can take the torque, its what I had in my house when my kids were growing up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mandyg Guest

Thank you both. Good point about the motion sofas. I grew up in a house with my dad's Lazy-Boy as the main piece in the living room so I never thought twice.
    My husband loves the looks of the Oslo on Hancock & Moore's website, but I'm worried about ordering something we can't sit in first. The depth is listed as 42.5" which I fear may be too deep for me as I was surprised the Connery's 41" depth felt good but I attributed that to the back cushions. Generally I find myself liking 38" depth. I like the Giana or Greco, maybe the Rylan, Piper, or Cooper. We like the two cushions of the Camden but fear it may look too casual as the description seems to focus on puddling cushions and we don't care for that.
    On Hancock and Moore's website, we love the Benny and the Nelson. I also like the Arrington, Rachel, Sorenson, Smithfield, and Claudette. Again none of these are available to try locally. I've looked at demensions but Then I worry about the slope of the back or the cushion firmness.
    Would any of these feel like the Connery as far as firmness and height from the floor? I do not have the outer demensions of the Connery but not the inner/seat height.
    Last edited by mandyg; 11-15-2015 at 04:44 PM.

mandyg Guest

Never mind, we just ordered the Hancock and Moore Landers sofa and custom love seat from a local small store. I do appreciate all the valuable information on this website. Thank you!

Barbara Guest

I also like the looks of the Landers sofa, and did not know that a loveseat would be available. I cannot find it to look at, however. Do you have a suggestion of a chair that would go with this? Do you think this is transitional or blatantly modern? I would love to hear your thoughts on how you decided. Thanks,

mandyg Guest

The loveseat is a special order. Apparently H&M will do some custom work. We just couldn't fit two full sofas, so while they cost the same it will work best for us. We are going for a more transitional look. We have some Lane Acclaim mid century/Danish modern coffee table and end tables. Then we have two clean lined wing back chairs. My grandparents had the same tables. We are considering this transitional or updated retro.

Barbara Guest

Did you see any other style of sofa that "feels" like the Landers. I have seen maybe a half dozen sofas, yet they all "sat" a little different for us. I do not have room for two sofas either and considered Your Way apartment size, but that too has issues if anyone wanted to nap etc. I would love to know what other transitional styles you considered, and why you ruled them out. Also, what color did you get? Thank you for helping me along in my thinking process.
    Last edited by Barbara; 11-18-2015 at 05:06 PM.

mandyg Guest

We live in a very traditional area so there were not many we could actually try. We were mostly able to try other brands like BY Twirl but it was too modern and we wanted better construction. At a different furniture store a salesman ran us several BY but I didn't get all the names, a Henredon, and several brands I didn't recognize. We found basic demensions that we liked but none we tried had the overall look we wanted and many were too short, too deep, or too reclined. Once we found the Landers and a few others online we went back to our preferred store and the very patient salesman showed us everything with similar demensions and construction so we could get an idea of how the Landers would feel. It's scary buying a sofa we have never actually tried but we think we have a good idea of how it will feel. We liked the taller seat height and the similar cushions we tried felt nice.
    As for color we went with Caress Charcol and walnut legs. The leather sample was a nice gray in the store but when I looked later online it almost looks green. We considered a light real/blue but decided to stay more neutral.
    Good luck finding what you like! I can post pictures in 8-12 weeks when the furniture arrives.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaressCharcoal.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	7828, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaressGranite.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	7829 These are two Caress Leathers from the H&M web site. The first is the Charcoal which comes off with some Blue/Green/Gray tones, and the second is Caress Granite which comes off as light Blue/Gray. ...just in the event that a "Gray" is what you are expecting.