Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for that perfect sofa

Barbara Guest

Default Re: Looking for that perfect sofa

I do hope your sofa is everything you want, and even though I would love to see pictures, I hope I can decide and order before yours arrives! Since I am also looking for a gray (although lighter) I have been looking at other lines too. I wondered about McKinley's "Larkin Haze-A" Grade L3. I like the color but would want to know Duane's opinion of the quality of it compared to H/M Piazza Pewter which is lighter. I have been confused because of the fact that I cannot actually "see" products, and because of conflicting explanations from sales people. Local stores have leather handles to view which is where I started, but I am so thankful to have this blog to keep reading and learning.

There is no comparison, Larkin Haze from McKinley blows the H&M Piazza Pewter right out of the water. Its a MUCH finer leather and an Italian pure aniline, whereas Piazza is your typical painted / finished / chinese tannery hide. No contest. However if you want to match apples to apples, then look at H&M's Tiburon Stone GR 3, that would be the equal of the Larkin Haze.

You can always order samples, from me, they are free of charge (up to a dozen per maker). Just do it on the quotes page or send an email to sales@keepingroom.com
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Barbara Guest

Thank you so much. This differentiation is very helpful to me (who obviously knew nothing about leather). Is pure aniline (Larkin Haze) the same as "pull-up," and is protected leather (Piazza Pewter) the same as semi-aniline leather? Do different companies use different terms, or are these really different classes? I apologize if you have covered this on another thread, and if so could you please direct me. H/M Tiburon Stone was a darker grey than I wanted, so I will email to check the McKinley price.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...leather+sticky
    Take a look through this thread and post any additional questions you may have after reading it.

Keep in mind too, that any aniline leather will vary in color from one dye lot batch to another, because its DYED, whereas a finished leather like Piazza is PAINTED, so with paint you can mix up the same formula each time and spray it on, therefore it will be very consistent. Cows, like people, have all difference colors of skin and when you are dyeing the hide, then you are putting color into that animal skin and as such, hides will have a range of color within the same sample swatch. All the other questions should be answered in the thread wisejd sent to you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.