Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing four new pieces

Barbara Guest

Default Choosing four new pieces

I am replacing a sofa/loveseat and two great room chairs. I think I have been going around the world and back with ideas, and mainly because I (and my husband) have only sat in one chair that we love for comfort--the TK McNab recliner L6913-H. We really were not looking for recliners, but if we could find one which did not look like a recliner and was comfortable sitting in an upright position, why not? Unfortunately it was only shown in leather and we do want upholstery to further differentiate it from a regular recliner. We are looking for leather for the sofas and definitely want H/M because we have had that for nineteen years and the comfort can't be beat! We have not seen anything in person that we would order since we want a transitional to somewhat modern look. I am also considering the apartment size sofa in the Your Way line and getting two instead of the sofa/loveseat combo. I would really appreciate any comments on any of these issues. Duane, I really appreciate your quick response regarding prices for the above items---just still unsure if this is right direction, and then there is the color issue! I was looking for a medium grey leather and am looking at Piazza Pewter but wondered about the pic you posted from market in Document Smoke. I love the new styles of H/M and notice the many narrow track arms of TK. So many thoughts running through my mind . . .

Barbara Guest

Default Re: Choosing four new pieces

I realize that I was unclear on my questions, and need help for these:
    1) What kind of leather is H/M Piazza Pewter vs. Document Smoke?
    2) Would you recommend two apt. size sofas instead of sofa/loveseat if there is room? Is this just a personal preference?
    3) Can you recommend any chair 30-32" wide that does not look like a recliner in transitional style?
    Thank you for any insight.

Both Piazza and Document are leathers that come out of China, and both are finished (painted) hides, and both are GR 2. I have had less issues with Piazza over the years (actually none) vs. Document. Once in a while the Document shows some adhesion issues on the color to the hide and that manifests itself and small flake or white dots on the sofa. For that reason I generally do not recommend Document if asked.

Yes, personal preference on size of pieces, you know what fits best

There are dozens of chairs that would meet that criteria of 30-32" wide in transitional styles. I can't make recommendations without seeing a photo set of the room as well as knowing the models of the other pieces going into that room.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Barbara Guest

Thanks for the info on leather. I really want a medium grey color and with limited choices I will probably stick with Piazza Pewter. I hope I have seen all the colors available though. If you can suggest another better leather I would appreciate it. We really only considered Your Way because of the ability to get smaller sizes, and I do not see that many sofa styles offer the loveseat matching piece. For example we like the 5161 Claudette, 5832-3 Benny and 6026-3 Landers (to name a few) but they do not offer a loveseat---at least online. If we chose an English arm or track arm on Your Way the size would allow two small sofas. You commented somewhere, Duane, that Your Way was too plain for your taste, and I am concerned about that too. We sat in the City and the rolled arm Your Way, and liked the Your Way feel better because it was very slightly deeper it seemed. I also saw a picture of 1065 Sinclair Recliner H/M that I think would look great in fabric and not like a recliner. It is just so difficult being unable to "see" the choices, so I really value any comments you make in helping us make decisions.

Barbara Guest

We are still undecided as to colors and specific frames, and have a question regarding the interchangeability of Taylor King and Hancock and Moore. I think you stated that fabric from T/K can be used on H/M and vice-versa. Is this also true for leather? We recently saw a Taylor King leather---Cortina Stone VII which was a nice color, but the salesman had no info on type, price point, etc. We just saw it on a chair on the floor (that we were not interested in). How does this compare to the McKinley Larkin Haze Grade 3? We are really trying to find a medium grey leather for sofas and a coordinating fabric for chairs, and having more difficulty than we expected. We are not giving up though! Thanks for any advice.

The Your Way series is very popular, I just like a little more jazz-up in my pieces I buy for myself is all. It's very 'safe' and conservative - nothing wrong with that. You are correct that many pieces don't come with a corresponding loveseat - that segment is a slow selling size and as a result many companies only build a portion of their sofa models as a loveseat.

Yes, you can interchange any cover back and forth between H&M, Taylor King and Jessica Charles, including leathers.

There are three new grays from the October Market - a pair of Documents and a new Burnished leather that I think its superb. Those swatches won't be out until March or so but the leather itself will be in around February. I did a short video of the new hides and its posted here in the forum.
    Duane Collie

Barbara Guest

Thank you for such a quick response. Could you comment please on the Taylor King Cortina Stone VII leather since that is a good color for us? What is your opinion of it and what type is it. Until I started reading these comments I had no idea anyone chose on the basis of anything but color. I am grateful to be learning so much!

I will have to take a look Tuesday when I am back in the store....
    Duane Collie

Barbara Guest

I really look forward to getting your information on that leather. I also just noticed the picture that flips through on this sight of the Taylor King Giles sofa. That is a style I really like also, and I wondered if you have any information about it--such as are the dimensions for seat depth and height similar to the H/M City? I have found that even when dimensions look the same on paper they do not always "feel" the same. I find the City pretty comfortable though the seat depth could be slightly more but want a more transitional style. Do you actually have it in your store? The picture looks like it is fabric, but I even like that. Our plan is to do two pieces in leather and two in fabric, but we go back and forth as to which . . . and can't seem to find a coordinating fabric that would be durable. We will eventually get to an order . . .
    Last edited by Barbara; 12-07-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Here's the specs on the Taylor King "Giles" sofa..

http://www.taylorking.com/product.asp?PID=5287&CID=1

The H&M City comes in two stationary models, the 9840 (smaller) and the 9844 (larger) you can find the specs for them on the H&M website. I do not have either of these frames in my store at this time.

Here's the leathers, with the larger swatch being the Taylor King Cortina Stone, and the smaller one the McKinley Larkin Haze. Both are pure anilines, and both are very nice. Rather than the color shifts/shading between the two, the biggest difference is the Cortina has a 'pull-up' effect where it shows color bursts on pressure and the Larkin does not. Ultimately the question is if you want a pull up hide or not. Myself, I'd buy the pull-up in a blink - but most of us in the leather business do whereas most not in the trade tend to steer away from them. Its like fine wine, when you first start drinking wines you want sweet ones and the more complex ones are bitter. But once you get into it, you only drink the the dry varientals and the sweets are not touched. Pull up leathers are for the connoisseur of fine leathers. You can't go wrong either way, its just two different looks. Note this photo has NOT been color corrected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leathers.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	7901
    Duane Collie