Thread: Help with style choices

Barbara Guest

Default Help with style choices

Some sofa frames that I have seen which are 81" wide (outside) have two cushions, and others have three. What are some of the reasons that one would prefer one style over the other? Does one look more "traditional" or "transitional" for example? Does one "sit" better? My second question is what do nailheads do to the look of the sofa--make it less formal, more modern or more traditional etc? Is this just a style preference? Thank you so much, Duane, for your instruction regarding the leather differences between H/M Piazza Pewter and McKinley Larkin Haze. I am going to investigate that line more, but if I ever thought it was hard to see H/M pieces in my area, I cannot believe how difficult it is for the other! I realize my investigation process takes much longer than the average . . . and I appreciate all your help.

Default Re: Help with style choices

So much is just do to style and design, with no right or wrong - just its a preference. I happen to like nail trim, but many do not. You will not see a major difference in the way one sits vs another if just looking at style variations.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Re: The two cushion vs. three

One item that I read that made since to me was that visitors will feel more comfortable sitting with two others on a three cushion sofa vs. a two. I'm sure there are other considerations, particularly from a "style" perspective but this one issue would have me ordering three cushions all else being equal. As far as nail heads go, I would say they generally make furniture less formal, but also more "comfortable" looking. Nail heads can be placed in a traditional or classic way or can be larger and spaced such that they offer a more modern or artistic look. You could however visit a very exclusive "formal" Club and find leather nail-head seating throughout. Thus ..."Formal" can have a diverse meaning.

Barbara Guest

We began our quest to buy a leather sofa, loveseat, and two fabric chairs for our transitional great room. We decided on recliners because they were both comfortable as recliners and as straight chairs, and they did not look like the typical recliner but rather similar to the two fabric chairs we were replacing. We assumed we would get leather for the sofas. Now the dilemma---after finally narrowing down some leather and sofa styles, and the chairs (McNab recliner by Taylor King) we are undecided, or at least I am. My husband would like the leather on the recliners because the two of us sit in these chairs daily. (We are empty nest.) We do not personally really use the sofas so we are most concerned about the comfort of the chairs that we use constantly. I think that fabric on the chairs has a nicer look, rather than fabric sofas and leather chairs. His answer is to do all pieces in leather then. I think that would make the room look like those stores where the whole room is the same. I am hesitant to go into a furniture store and discuss this with a designer because I would not order from them, and do not want to unfairly take their time. Would someone please give me some advice that may move along our thought process? Incidentally, there is no TV in this room, the chairs are in a bay window, but with a southern exposure. The fabric we like best is a Taylor King level 3, 71%polyester, 29% rayon, however we may continue to look. Thank you for any help you can give us as we narrow down our decisions.

I have all leather in my great room and most the house. My wife was resistant to it at first, but now prefers it MUCH more than fabric. The only fabric pieces we have left are in the formal living room....

No right or wrong, its just your preference. Leather will last MUCH- MUCH longer in a recliner than fabric, however.
    Duane Collie

Barbara Guest

We go one step forward and a couple steps back in this furniture decision it seems! Thanks Duane for the suggestion of the Arrington sectional. I don't quite understand how the dimensions work from the H/M web. For a two cushion sectional as opposed to 3/2 what is the back wall dimension for either side as opposed to 3/2? Secondly,
    since my husband really wants an all leather room, I am willing to do this if we can find pieces that have a "lighter" look which I think the Arrington has (compared to Tower for instance). I think that means that we need different chairs because the McNab seems "heavy" to me. I am willing to look at non-recliners at this point, but he would rather we start there. I guess at this point all we have is the leather . . .

To figure out a sectional wall space measurement, it's quite easy. Here's how if the maker doesn't put them in the dimensions.

For the H&M Arrington....http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...gton-Sectional

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5638LAF-5638-2RAC_Arrington_SE1_PR.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	7906

When adding or deleting a seating position, then 21" is a good round number to use.
    Duane Collie

Barbara Guest

Thanks for the explanation. You did make it seem easy!

Barbara Guest

How important is the height of all pieces in a room? Two sofas that we like (now) are two inches different in height---35 and 37. Will picking one or the other dictate the height of the other three pieces (chairs) in the room? Many chairs we like are 40-42 inches in height, but the room has a two story ceiling. What are the "rules" here---or at least style guidelines. Thanks.

2" in difference is negligible unless they are sitting in front of a picture window with a stellar view. The trick with chairs is to group similar heights together. If you are going to use two different models keep them reasonably close in height to one another if in the same visual frame. A big wing that is 44" high looks odd next to a small 31" Federal chair, for example.
    Duane Collie