Thread: Hancock and Moore # 4263 Studio Sofa in Equestrian Truffle

Default Hancock and Moore # 4263 Studio Sofa in Equestrian Truffle

Mahogany Wood Finish, no nails.

While I liked the color of this piece, Equestrian is split a little on the thick side and I think the Studio sofa will tailor better in the thinner hide. This would be crisper and more refined in a leather such as Capri Harness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0040.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	7872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg 
Views:	744 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	7873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0042.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	7874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	7875
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bubbaonline Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore # 4263 Studio Sofa in Equestrian Truffle

I love Weston Cane Burnished!!

APTanner Guest

I am in the process of leather selection for a Highlands sofa, chair & ottoman. I have narrowed down my choices to Capri Harness & possibly Equestrian Saddle. In the image above, the studio sofa noted in Equestrian Truffle looks significantly lighter....actually more like Equestrian Saddle. I understand that in all leathers, there will be color variation with each hide, and that getting a cutting is best if uncertain. I, however, do appreciate the variation in natural untreated leather. I also do not want to delay my order by waiting for & approving a cutting! I live in the Columbus, OH area. I was able to view a sofa in a local showroom upholstered in Equestrian Saddle...it appeared a bit more orange than the sample I brought home. I am now leaning more towards Capri Harness, which simply speaks for itself! It is exceptional in both feel & appearance. I'm just trying to get a handle on the upgraded price point, but agree that it's minimal when you consider the quality & longevity of Hancock & Moore furniture. I would like Duane's opinion in whether to go with Capri Harness or Equestrian Saddle on the Highland sofa, chair & ottoman. Please let me if you have any other suggestions for similar color of leather that I may have missed in my search!! Initially, I was also drawn to Antelope Harness, but ruled it out after reading about the flaking etc...also couldn't justify paying a class 4 price for a "painted" leather, when I could get Capri....no comparison!! I still have samples of Yardley Tobacco & Atticus Chestnut in my home....both unprotected, class 2 leathers. Your thoughts & honest opinion are greatly appreciated! Once I have chosen my leather, I would be happy to PM you for a quote on Highlands sofa #5010, chair #5008 & ottoman #5007. One last question, do you feel that the Ultra Down seat and/or back cushions are worth the upgrade? Thinking about getting upgraded back cushions, but honestly don't know. FYI, we are an average sized family of 4, with two teenage girls, ages 15 & 17. The furniture will get daily use in our family room. We are replacing a 25 yo Roche Bobois leather sofa. We obviously take care of our belongings, and have taught our girls to do so as well! We believe in buying quality vs quantity. Thank you....we look forward to your reply!

Oh boy, this is a tough call. Capri and Equestrian are world's apart and it comes down to your lifestyle.

Capri is world-class and luxury soft, it feels like a treat every time you sit on it. It tailors up beautifully and even my delivery guys - jaded as they are (a sofa is sofa is a sofa), stop and remark "Wow, look at that one! That's the real deal. Good pick!" when we deliver a piece in Capri. However, Capri is not for a rough and tumble household, it can absorb stains easier than Equestrian.

Equestrian is a thicker cut, Italian aniline with a slightly pebbly surface. Its great and very tough for a pure aniline, however the thicker split of the hide means it won't tailor as well as a thinner hide, the upholstery can't be as crisp. I like this leather for things like kitchen barstools that take hard use, and a sofa that gets used harder by an active family, who still want pure aniline.

Yardley has wide swings in color - be careful on that one. Atticus is the best of the GR 2 anilines. These are both South American hides whereas Capri and Equestrian are European, and the South American leathers just don't have the feel of the European ones. I think their cattle are not fed as well and live a harder life on the range.

Hope that helps....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.