Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock and Moore Value Sofas

Default Hancock and Moore Value Sofas

I had a customer request a list of all H&M sofas that are priced (from my store) in the $ 2,700 to $ 3,350 range (before shipping costs) and since I made this up for him, thought I would post it here. All are in the Town and Country program and in the married cover leathers - you can see them all here in a forum thread as well.

9840 City
    NC303 York
    9749 September
    8134 Austin
    8138 Austin
    5831-3 Ricki
    5635 Anderson
    5161 Claudette
    4827 West End
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jake8 Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Value Sofas

Interesting Duane. We have been shopping for new sofas and have been struggling with wanting to buy H&M but thinking we surely could not afford them. We like several of those styles, specifically the West End, York, and Claudette. Not sure I really understand about married covers though. Married covers?? Our favorite leather is Mesquite Saddle and I'm just sure that it's not married!! LOL!

Here you go, all about the Town and Country Program.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tional-Program
    Duane Collie

Jake8 Guest

Thanks for the link Duane. I have actually read that before, but for the non-furniture people, it's hard to understand. I will go back and re-read it and try to make some sense of it.
    Last edited by Jake8; 12-10-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Jake8 Guest

I went back and read it again and it makes a bit more sense this time. We like several of the frames in the T&C program, specifically the Emilio and the West End. The West End is in your list above. I'm not so sure about the leathers they offer though. We got our samples from you (Thank you!) and we like a couple of them a lot..... Mesquite Saddle, Hyde Park Tan Burnished, Cameo Carmel Burnished, and Palamino Bone. It just figures that none of the ones I like are included in the program!

Well, those are the least costly H&M sofas in the promotion, they are going to have a 'value' leather on them, i.e., finished (painted) from China. The ones you are looking at are all higher-tier Italian leathers.

Alberta is a married cover ONLY. They don't swatch it and you can't order it on other pieces, only the ones in T&C that spec it. And its decent enough, but un-remarkable.

Every frame in Town and Country is a main-line frame as well, just your price points change.
    Duane Collie

Jake8 Guest

I have champagne taste with a beer budget! Mesquite taste and Alberta budget?

Let's do some math...Using round numbers as I am not supposed to post actual prices, but these will be close.

West End 4827 in Alberta Promotional leather lets assign a $ 3,000 price to it.
    Emilio 5712-3 in GR 3 Gaucho Mocha lets say its $ 5,400.

Price difference is $ 2,400. That seems like a lot. HOWEVER, if you just take reasonable care of the leather then this piece has 30 years in it, easy (I have H&M in my own home that is now 30 years old). Divide the price difference by the usable life span of the product and it comes out to $ 80 a year over that projected time frame. That's one dinner out for you and the S/O.

What to do? I can't answer that for you because everyone has their own financial comfort zone they have to work within. However, I can tell you this ...

In my three decades doing this I have had many, many customers return and tell me "I wish we would have got the leather we really wanted instead of the promotional one". And in all the time I have never had the first customer tell me afterwards that they regret getting the premium leather and should have bought the cheaper one and saved the money.

For most people, these pieces are the cornerstone furniture in the house and gets used daily. Since these are technically wants and not needs, then I suggest get the one you really have your heart set on.
    Duane Collie

Jake8 Guest

So if the Emilio in the Gaucho Mocha is 5400, what must it be in the Mesquite Saddle that we want? Gaucho Mocha is the "value" leather that they show it in. What makes the Emilio so much higher that the West End?

For specific quotes, please fill out the Quote Form here on the forum and I will be glad to price for you.

Gaucho Mocha is not a value hide, its a standard class III leather that is in the Town and Country program and is simply a premium hide they chose to feature in the program. There are many instances of that in the Town and Country program.

The Powers That Be at H&M often decide to run one piece at a steep discount just because they can - there is no rhyme or reason to it other than to offer a variety for all buyers. The West End unit has great design elements such as the 'picture frame back', and if you look at the MSRP of both the Emilio in a GR 3 ($ 11,535) and the West End in GR 3 ($ 10,905) you can see they are not far apart from one another in price out of the regular mainline book. Dealers were asking for a larger, popular sofa in a value leather so H&M put the West End into the T&C program in a value leather and there's your hot price point. And its probably the single best buy in the line, there's a lot of sofa there for the $ 3K-ish price point in Alberta.

Would I buy a West End in Alberta for myself? No, I would not. I know what hides I like and I'll spend more to get what I want. No different the Rolex Submariner I wear every day - I could have saved money and bought an Omega Seamaster - which is also a fine watch - but that's not the one I wanted. I would however, had bought that West End in Alberta 25 years ago when my wife and I were having babies and had to budget tightly as a new family. I would still get the H&M top shelf quality build even if I did not get the cover I wanted. Ultimately its all about your comfort level for the amount you are spending.
    Duane Collie