Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock and Moore Value Sofas

Jake8 Guest

Default Re: Hancock and Moore Value Sofas

I like the West End sofa so I guess I need to get a sample of the Alberta Harness. If we think we could settle for it, it sounds like that's the best value. We need to get two of whatever we get, so I do have to watch what I spend. We are also thinking that instead of getting 2 sofas, we may try one sofa and 2 chairs but that may even be a higher price. I will request a sample from the quotes page. We are in our early 60s and I know that this will be the last furniture we ever buy so I want to do it right (within reason). Thank you for your patience and knowledge!!

Jake8, The West End Sofa is often carried in the store inventory of H&M Dealers. I have typically seen it in the Alberta Wine, but I don't know if that is just by chance or if it is a higher volume seller than the Albert Harness. I have no idea where you are located, but you can easily find the H&M Dealers that are nearest you by visiting the H&M Web Site. What you need to do though is call any area dealer and specifically ask about their inventory. My experience is that some of the H&M Dealers actually have very little or no inventory while others may have quite a number of pieces. When we were looking for our Sofa we did like the West End and the Alberta cover. If you do find the Sofa and are able to look at it you still will want to get a quote from The Keeping Room, as offer excellent value in service as well as price. Shipping is easily arranged and is likely covered by saving the sales tax. To me you would need a rather large room if you are thinking of two West End Sofas in one room.

Jake8 Guest

I think we have finally decided on a frame. We like the H&M Martini. We wanted something without rolled arms this time and looked at Campaign (nice), Maxwell (also nice), and Emilio (too big), and Martini (bingo). We love how it looks from the side and like the arm too. I looked at several of the pics that CrunchySue posted of her Martini chair in green. Love it!
    Thank you Duane for the additional leather samples. We have a couple of definite favorites..... Cameo Carmel and Mesquite Saddle. Between the two, which would you recommend? If you had to choose between them, what would you do? I've looked at lots of pics of the burnished leather and we like it if it is done very lightly.
    We also want to get an ottoman, maybe in a darker brown. Right now my favorite leather for it is Brigade Saddle, but I don't have too many dark brown samples. Not sure which frame to go with for that. I was looking at #9760 Harbison because it is only 16" high and the seat height of the Martini sofa is 18.5".
    Thoughts?

You have two really nice hides selected, and would probably be happy with either one. It comes down to preference. The Cameo is more subtle in variation. the Mesquite is max'ed out in its look. Depends on what you prefer. I sell 5x the Cameo over the Mesquite if that helps and between those two my personal taste would be the Cameo as well. That 2" + drop on an ottoman is really nice to have.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jake8 Guest

This is REALLY HARD! I don't make decisions easily anyway and this one is a tough one. It is so hard to decide based on 2.5" x 4" samples!! Looking/feeling the samples we have of the 2 leathers, the Mesquite feels the smoothest and looks the least shiny. I know that may not be, might only be on these particular samples. There must be a reason why 5x people choose it. Or not??
    Duane, what does maxed out in its look mean?
    As far as burnishing goes (never heard of it before this sofa quest!), we have looked through the thread with all the wonderful pictures put together by anaye, and we seem to like it only if done very lightly. From what I understand you can specify how heavily you want it burnished. Right?
    I feel like I've learned so much from this forum but yet I'm still so undecided!

Yes, the 2 x 2 squares can be challenging and I realize that. That's exactly why I have a photo library here on the forum, to put in photos of as many chairs and leathers as I can. You will be fine with either leather, they are not that far apart from one another. The Mesquite will show pressure marks as its pull-up based, the Cameo generally will not.

You can request light burnishing but its no guarantee you will like the end product. Burnishing is the art of applying a toner coat over an existing leather than sealing that toner coat in. Its done by hand, and with anything that is artistic, it will vary from day to day and from artist to artist. There is not a lot of burnishing on the Cameo series to begin with - its pretty mild.

FYI, You are not the only one that struggles near the end of an order. I see many folks that approach near-paralysis in their decision making because they are not sure of their choices. Some can never get past that. Rest assured I will not let you make a mistake...and I mean that. If I see a customer going down the wrong choice path, I will tell them so and sometimes to the point where I will not accept the order. Your choices, either way - are good and solid and you will like whichever one you decide upon.
    Duane Collie

Jake8 Guest

Part of what I struggle with is that once I make up my mind, then some of the fun is over. This might sound strange, but I enjoy having something to obsess over. I have enjoyed having little 2.5 X 4 pieces of leather all over the place, looking at them in the morning, midday, evening, sun, clouds, and even the dark! Oh, once I place the order, I can obsess over what if I don't like it, what if he doesn't like it, what if it doesn't fit, what if it's damaged in the shipping, etc, etc, but the actual decision making process, which I love, is over. Weird, huh?

Lol...I can't help you with that!
    Duane Collie