Thread: Need advice on private sale

ampz1 Guest

Default Need advice on private sale

Merry Christmas all!

I'm trying to sell a new H&M sofa and realize it's a very select group that I'd have to get the attention of. The typical person isn't in the market for a 8 way hand tied made to order sofa. With all the bells and whistles as far as frame etc.

Knowing my target customer, other than this forum, do you guys have any suggestions otherwise? Ebay doesn't seem to target the correct buyer. Any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: Need advice on private sale

It appears to be this sofa you wrote about earlier on the forum from a dealer near you?

I'm at store currently which is about an hour from where I live and they have their own deal on the arrington in kip pyramid or kip wheat for 2875. Is that reasonable for an arrington?

If so, your ad has it for a higher price than you paid for it, or am I mistaken? If you want to move it out - get the price down to the mid-$ 2K. Put it on your local Craigslist and EBAY and be patient. It may take a year to sell as people are very specific on color choices that they want. Or you can slash the price to under $ 2K and it will most certainly move quicker.

If you are just missing getting into your room by a few inches, a carpenter can remove a door frame and re-install it, its not that hard and they won't charge that much. Good luck
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ampz1 Guest

Unfortunately it's a hallway that is stopping me. Which sucks in comparison to a doorway. And the mid 2k is what I'm looking to get. I just will never list lowest price I'll take from the gate for room to haggle. Since most people don't accept the price people list at. My price isn't firm whatsoever

There is a good chance that the eventual buyer will know specifically what they are looking for as they decide to purchase your H&M Sofa. They will be more motivated by a obvious bargain price than by the need to haggle. Many folks considering an H&M piece won't need to get the last $100 out of the transaction, but rather know they are getting a quality product they otherwise wouldn't get at your price. Remember, they aren't going to get a choice on Style/Model, or on cover/leather ...or color ...so, The H&M reputation and your asking price are key to your sale.

I think you turn off a segment of potential buyers by having a high start price, even though I realize that some people enjoy haggling. But there are many that do not, or lack the skills to negotiate and they just move on past your ad. When I sell things myself, both privately and in the store - I put one price on it and that's it. No negotiation, no adjustments and I tell folks that right up front. That gives the people that don't enjoy the bartering process relief and for those that just HAVE to get a slightly better deal, then I'm not their seller. Yet most will recognize a good deal when they see it. Certainly nothing wrong with starting high and negotiating, but you will lose about 1/3 of your potential buyers who see it as out of their price range.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.