Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cover selection

kalapaani Guest

Default Help with cover selection

Hi,

I am trying to decide between Columbia and Aspen. I need a protected cover but within that I prefer one that is more soft and supple and less over-processed. Columbia is softer while Aspen has more special effects (and is a higher grade) based on the 4S ratings from H&M. I read that Aspen is painted while Columbia is aniline (with a protective topcoat). This sounds counterintuitive. Which do you recommend between the two? I will order swatches to do my due diligence but I don't expect to get a good read from that alone.

Thanks.

PS: I suspect there is some issue with the "quotes and orders" private forum that may be causing missed notifications on your end for new posts in existing threads. Can you please check?

Default Re: Help with cover selection

Columbia is listed as an Aniline, but really its a semi-aniline as it is topcoated. Both Columbia and Aspen are decent hides, Columbia will show more gloss but its not 'glossy' per se. Also look at GR 1 Gunner and Kip, those are more matte and look more expensive than Columbia. In GR 2 one of my new favs is Angelo, which is so good it can almost be confused with a high end pure aniline, even though its a finished leather.

I will check on the quotes and orders page. Once in a while I miss a post...
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

kalapaani Guest

Thanks, Duane. Do you know where Angelo is sourced from? Do you see any risk with choosing a newer hide that has not be around as long (less than a couple of years)?

I have requested samples on the private forum.

Angelo is from a tannery is China, as are the majority of the GR 1 and GR 2 Finished leathers from H&M (i.e., Protected). The leathers from China seem to be very consistent to the point of nearly being boring. Each batch is just like the one before it and they are solid performers. Keep in mind too, that those Chinese leathers are USA cow hides sent over there for processing, as China has no cattle industry.
    Duane Collie

kalapaani Guest

Thanks, Duane. Any idea when I can expect to receive the samples?

Leather sample swatches typically take 4 to 5 days to arrive, however Holiday closures will extend that time frame right now.
    Duane Collie

kalapaani Guest

I received the samples today. Duane, thanks for ordering these for me. Can you please share the 4S ratings for Angelo? Of the 3 samples (Angelo, Aspen and Columbia), Angelo appears the thickest and Columbia the thinnest. The Angelo also appears to have the most grainy surface while Columbia the least. Columbia has most gloss, Angelo the least. Columbia smells like leather, Angelo is neutral while Aspen smells like something I can't place. Are these observations representative or is it just my batch? Would a thicker hide last "longer" all other things being the same? Would it stretch less i.e. have less puddling over time? Would a more grainy surface hide scratches (I have a dog) better? I know you are a pure aniline guy but if you were looking to buy a 2038NB+8131NB (that would get daily use) and had to choose from among these 3 hides, which would you choose?

Thanks.

The 'ratings' have pretty much faded away on the new leathers, there are none published for Angelo.

Remember that samples are made from scraps, parts of a hide that did not get used in production of a piece, so you really can't go by grain as it could have come from neck or belly leather. The only way to tell for sure is to get several samples of a leather and average them out. Angelo is not a particularly grainy leather, in fact its quite smooth when you see it made up. Thinned cut leathers tend to tailor up more crisp, wear through is really not an issue, it rarely happens. For example,when is the last time you saw a pair of leather upper shoes that were completely worn through? They are exposed to a much more hostile environment than residential upholstery, too. All H&M leather is GRADE A Steerhide (not cowhide) and that is the least prone to puddling, but all leather will stretch some over time and use.

No bad picks among the three. I'm slightly partial to Angelo of those, but not by a large degree.
    Duane Collie

kalapaani Guest

Thanks, Duane. Do you have any recommendations for wood finish and nail trim that would work well with (Angelo) Mink? Do you know/remember what was used for http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...tessence-Mink? I am looking for something that is not loud/flashy. What do you think of Belgian Chocolate with S nail? Is the welt trim wear an issue with 2038NB+8131NB? Looks like the welt trims are out of the way...

Is 2038NB+8131NB covered by your FB promotion? What is the current expected turnaround time for such an order (I am in San Diego, CA)? What is the preferred way to place an order with you?

Most the time one of the darker woods is used with the Mink colors series. On something like the Austin series, the bun foot is not highly visible, so its not really a critical component. I certainly would not spend the additional money for a premium finish like Belgian Chocolate on an Austin, it adds $ 223 to the price and its not really worth it unless you just got to have it. The premium finishes ARE worth it on pieces like the Chantal sofa where the wood wraps around the top of the frame. Plus, they are very difficult to repair if they get hit.

Nail trim all depends on what you like. I tend to like the A nail on that leather, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the "S" nail, either. Wear is not an issue, welts are never touched on an Austin serles.

Yes, any item can apply to the Facebook coupon until the end of January. There is a new H&M price book that was mailed out yesterday coming as well - I am anticipating a price increase - how much I do not know until it gets here, so be advised of that as well and expect new pricing to go into effect near the end of the month.

It H&M has the leather in stock at time of order, typical delivery times are 6 weeks to build then 4 weeks transit time to CA via West Express once its done. Best way to order is call the store at 703-360-6399, however you can do it via email or here on the forum via the QUOTES page, though either requires you to type in your cc number and information and that will not be secure. Thanks!
    Duane Collie