I am a huge fan of the aesthetics of mid-century modern furniture and am currently looking for manufacturers that make quality furniture in this style. I am also trying to educate myself on what goes into a quality sofa and what techniques are used (things like eight-way hand-tied spring systems). The problem is, I am having trouble finding where these worlds merge. In other words, it seems that most of the manufacturers that use these high-quality techniques do not create sofas in the style I am looking for.

I have been to several furniture stores around town but keep getting differing points of view from the salespeople/stylists. One told me that a "webbed spring system" is actually better than eight-way hand-tied because the latter is "known to burst". Well, I found that highly suspicious and hard to believe and wound up walking out of the store. At another store, I was told that I "will not find" non-traditional looking sofas (like in the mid-century style) with the eight-way hand-tied system because "they were never made that way, only with sinuous springs." I'm also suspicious of this comment, but I am beginning to believe it because I cannot find what I am looking for.

I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction and maybe suggest some places to find quality pieces in this style. As an example of what I'm looking for, one sofa that I liked a lot was this piece by Precedent Furniture:

http://www.precedent-furniture.com/c..._per_page=9999

The piece was comfortable and reasonably priced ($1600 on sale in the store), but I am suspicious of the quality knowing that it is made with sinuous springs.