Randall Allen brand is a line of leather furniture sold by Hancock and Moore but its made 100 % in China. Many dealers sell it as 'Hancock and Moore's value brand', and that would be incorrect. Because there is much confusion on what Randall Allen is as a line and how it relates to Hancock and Moore, I called up the CEO of H&M today and we had an informative discussion about what it is and how it differs from the flagship branded line. I'd like to share that information.

Because I pride myself on having the right answer - I called the CEO of Hancock and Moore today and asked him specifically how Randall Allen differs from Hancock and Moore and we talked for 15 minutes on it. So here are your primary differences:

H&M Frame: Solid Maple Hardwood, Double Doweled, Screwer and Glued
R-A Frame : Plywood

H&M Springs: 8-Way Hand-tied / knotted, 4 rows deep
R-A Springs: 8-Way Looped, 3 rows deep

Wood Finish H&M: Multiple coats, hand-rubbed
R-A: Quickshot lacquer

Cushions: H&M: Dupont Qualux cores, best in the industry
Cushions: R-A : Standard generic foam

H&M Workmanship: Best in the industry, Artisan
R-A Workmanship: Production Line

The company in China that produces the Randall Allen line also is the Tannery for several H&M Leathers such as Document, Cavalier, and Angelo. Jimmy Moore actually went to China to help them set up the factory, and its huge with four plants that would dwarf the H&M facility in Hickory NC. They are considered to be the best of all the Chinese upholstery factories and in addition to Randall Allen they make the Bradington Young Seven Seas line , Flexsteel Latitudes, all of Henredon's leather furniture as well as Bernhardt's.

I have tried both Flexsteel Lattitudes and Bradington Young Seven Seas and found the quality to not meed my personal standards, so long ago I decided to not carry Chinese-made upholstery and this includes Randall Allen. I can get any of these lines but I'll tell you something - they don't compare to what we make in the USA. We still make the best leather upholstery in the world, right in North Carolina. The Chinese brands do serve a price point of course, and I will give them that. Most consumers shop by price first, quality second and that is the consumer for this Chinese-made market. I have this (probably mis-guided) business ethic and philosophy that if I am not passionate about a product, then how can I sell it to my customers? It has served me well over the past 30 years, but no doubt I lose my fair share of sales to customers that want cheaper price points. On the flip side, that Randall Allen will be in the landfill many, many years before the Hancock and Moore is even close to that. Being made better and with American hands gives you that. Your Money - Your Choice, just know there really IS a difference.