Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pottery Barn Turner vs HCM, Brad Young

Comfortablepants Guest

Default Pottery Barn Turner vs HCM, Brad Young

Hi guys. First off, really appreciate the forum. I'm obsessive over large purchase research, and finding info on couch quality is very scarce as you all are well aware. I've done what I feel is appreciable research on the part of 8-way hand tied construction and frame construction of couches and have experienced in person the difference in quality between brands like Hancock and Moore and Bradington Young vs. Arhaus, Pottery Barn, RH, etc but I'm still outside my comfort zone on making a final decision so I want to share my scenario with you guys and welcome any feedback good and bad.

I'm looking for a sofa/chaise combo >90" width and a matching sofa >80" width to fill a living room on the home I'm building.
    I want a FIRM, DEEP seat. My old lady and I are generally easy on furniture, only us and a 6 pound dog.

To date, the firmest seat I've felt is the Pottery Barn Turner leather sofa in their showroom. The firmness was more than anything I've felt in any store and I loved it. According to their website, they have good specs on the construction: "kiln dried wood frame, hand tied coil springs". No idea if this is true 8 way hand tied or not... which is my primary reservation. I love the look of the non-shiny leather, the color was cool, seems solid. I haven't been able to track down a review anywhere online on these...

Restoration Hardware seems like quality stuff but I don't like the look of the leather. The cushions are too soft.

Arhaus seems nice but way overpriced on the leather offerings. A couple of fabric sofas look decent in the Dune and Remington.

Bradington Young Hanley sofa looks awesome. Saw where someone else ordered one thru this site via Google search. I'm under the impression that these can be sold thru this forum which I would be interested in entertaining, but not sure the proper way to go about it.
    Also, I sat on a BY sofa at the local store and was impressed. It had a SKU # on it as 9127-88. It was a 2 cushion leather sofa with awesome nail heads.

Where can I get some quotes on Hancock and Moore equivalents or Bradington Young equivalents?

Does anyone have any experience with the Pottery Barn Turner line?

Thanks so much for the help, I apologize if this is a bit incoherent, not really a forum guy....

Comfortablepants Guest

Default Re: Pottery Barn Turner vs HCM, Brad Young

Quote Originally Posted by Comfortablepants View Post
    Hi guys. First off, really appreciate the forum. I'm obsessive over large purchase research, and finding info on couch quality is very scarce as you all are well aware. I've done what I feel is appreciable research on the part of 8-way hand tied construction and frame construction of couches and have experienced in person the difference in quality between brands like Hancock and Moore and Bradington Young vs. Arhaus, Pottery Barn, RH, etc but I'm still outside my comfort zone on making a final decision so I want to share my scenario with you guys and welcome any feedback good and bad.

I'm looking for a sofa/chaise combo >90" width and a matching sofa >80" width to fill a living room on the home I'm building.
    I want a FIRM, DEEP seat. My old lady and I are generally easy on furniture, only us and a 6 pound dog.

To date, the firmest seat I've felt is the Pottery Barn Turner leather sofa in their showroom. The firmness was more than anything I've felt in any store and I loved it. According to their website, they have good specs on the construction: "kiln dried wood frame, hand tied coil springs". No idea if this is true 8 way hand tied or not... which is my primary reservation. I love the look of the non-shiny leather, the color was cool, seems solid. I haven't been able to track down a review anywhere online on these...

Restoration Hardware seems like quality stuff but I don't like the look of the leather. The cushions are too soft.

Arhaus seems nice but way overpriced on the leather offerings. A couple of fabric sofas look decent in the Dune and Remington.

Bradington Young Hanley sofa looks awesome. Saw where someone else ordered one thru this site via Google search. I'm under the impression that these can be sold thru this forum which I would be interested in entertaining, but not sure the proper way to go about it.
    Also, I sat on a BY sofa at the local store and was impressed. It had a SKU # on it as 9127-88. It was a 2 cushion leather sofa with awesome nail heads.

Where can I get some quotes on Hancock and Moore equivalents or Bradington Young equivalents?

Does anyone have any experience with the Pottery Barn Turner line?

Thanks so much for the help, I apologize if this is a bit incoherent, not really a forum guy....

So to whom it may concern, went to a Pottery Barn in Louisville today to check out the Turner sofa...
    Good:
    Loved the leather fabric, it feels dense and gets lighter on the areas that get more wear; a feature I like. The cushions felt really solid. I'm 6'8" 310 and they withstood my weight beautifully, and when I say this what I mean is there wasnt a huge gap between cushions when I sat down in the middle cushion of a 3 cushion sofa like there is on nearly every other piece I have ever sat on. The salesperson verified that they were made in "Asia" and that they have 8 way hand tied springs, frame constructed from solid hardwood. Great depth. Just enough for me but not overwhelming for the old lady who's a mere 5'7".

Bad:
    They look like they were made for children. They are so low to the ground that the end tables were several inches higher than the top of the roll arm to where you would be reaching up in order to place a glass on the standard sized end table.
    That's the only drawback I could find, and it's enough to be a deal breaker for me. At my size, if someone walked in they'd surely ask why the largest guy they know is sitting on such a low sofa. Disappointing....

I sat on the PB Comfort sofa and the Turner fabric sofa as well which both have Sinuous Springs. They both felt weak. The central cushions would lean as if the springs were sagging right in the middle. When I moved to a cushion near the ends of the sofa, the cushions felt more firm but also leaned towards the middle. Granted I'm a heavy body but I have not felt this anywhere else. Pretty much a heart breaking experience as I walked in planning on confirming the Turner Leather sofas as my go-to and preparing to purchase.

This brings me to my remaining options:
    Also stopped into Arhaus and sat on 3 sofas: the Remington, Pavo, and Emory. The Remington had 8 way hand tied coils as well as coils in the cushions which I thought I could feel within the cushion but had no problem with it. These were sweet but look a bit too modern and minimalistic for me. The cushions supported my weight very well and had a great deep seat.
    The Pavo and Emory are cousins in that the Pavo is an ultra deep version of the Emory. I dont remember if these were 8 way or not. The Pavo was too deep, not for me but for the old lady. The Emory was perfect and felt about as good as any couch I've sat on that wasn't leather. Normally I insist on an ultra firm seat, but these convinced me there was adequate support despite being more "enveloping".
    Not sure if I could get myself to buy into these designs though as I prefer something with cleaner, more traditional lines and these were slipcovered. Although they are offered in a "fitted" design, these will be a solid #2 in my list overall and #1 on my Fabric list.

End of month I'm going to Cincinnati and will hit the Restoration Hardware. I think the Lancaster sofa is beautiful and I hope they have it on the floor. I sat on a Maxwell in Columbus and that ultra modern look doesn't do it for me. The Lancaster appears more traditional and although I don't favor the Brompton Cocoa leather they offer for friggin $800 less than the Berkshire matte leather, I think i'd be willing to pay for it if the seats were firmer than what I've felt in the past (probably the optional down blend). When it comes to leather, it seems these companies (especially RH) roll out these mooshey seats that eventually turn into goo. I'd custom order leather wrapped concrete if someone could do it. I love an ultra firm seat... which is what initially drew me to the Pottery Barn Turner...

A lot of views and no replies. If anyone has any info on a Hancock and Moore or similar sofa with a deep seat, simple design, and a firm seat I'd be all ears....
    thanks

Your posts cover a very broad spectrum, but in general I can tell you that performance of a sofa is over time, not on an initial set upon. While you may like the feel of the Pottery Barn piece, their upholstery does not have a reputation for durability or performance, and I think you were told a lot of smoke and mirrors on their build. Unless P.B had drastically changed their construction they are not a solid hardwood frame company, nor 8-way build. If you decide to try it, I would be interested in hearing your feedback on it at 24 and 36 months if use to see if it is still serviceable by then. At 310 lb, you do need a well made sofa.

You are shopping all the trendy mall stores (Pottery Barn, Arhaus, Restoration Hardware). They are known for high-profile locations and mediocre to poor quality. Why not go into a REAL furniture store and try out some quality goods?

Cushion cores can be changed on many makers, its just a matter of getting a different foam density. At 6' 8" your Hancock and Moore sofa is the # 4192 Settlement, upgrades to either 21 oz cores of 25 oz super firm. Expect to pay more than the units you are looking at. The H&M will still be in daily use while those other brands have been in the landfill for years.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Comfortablepants Guest

Man, I was hoping you'd chime in soon!
    Yeah the trendy mall stores....believe me, it's not my preference. I don't know of anyone around here who sells Hancock and Moore or I for sure would've take a look by now. The stores listed on the Hancock and Moore website actually don't have jack squat in their showroom. When I go to one of these mall stores I atleast know that theyre going to have in the store what I see online, that's my best defense...
    To be perfectly honest that #4192 is nearly identical to what I envisioned getting before I even began looking. Something in a distressed whiskey-like color (yeah thats an RH reference, sorry...I don't know what else to call it).
    How much depth are we talking on the #4192? Man that thing looks too sweet.
    I want to know everything about this piece. What's my next move?
    Thanks

Comfortablepants Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SettleSFA.jpg 
Views:	5706 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	8046

Y.E.S.
    Are you kidding me, that thing is unreal

It's very deep, and its VERY heavy. We have a difficult time delivering these because this really is a solid maple frame and with the size of it - approaches 280 lbs with the cushions off. You do need a wide doorway for it as well. 35" is good, and the feet are removable if you have only a 33" door.

The 4192 is in the Town and Country program however to get the leather you describe will be a GR 3 hide and more costly. Comes with four pillows and its built like a tank. Downside....1) Cost 2) At 5' 7" your wife will feel a little lost in it, but your size it will be perfect.

Put in a price request in the QUOTES section and I will send you the current pricing and delivery fees for the two hides mentioned if you like.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie

bubbaonline Guest

comfortablepants:

If you are coming to Cincinnati, check out Verbargs. They are an H&M retailer and a "better" furniture store.
    They don't have a lot of H&M on the floor, but at least 4-6 of their sofas, last time I was there.
    Less than a mile from Kenwood Towne Center, where you are going for Restoration, Arhaus, Pottery Barn, etc.

Prices are okay there. Customer service is fantastic. I custom ordered new sofa/chair/ottoman from them.. hated it, and they took it back for full store credit. (I know.. I'm an idiot).

Comfortablepants Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    comfortablepants:

If you are coming to Cincinnati, check out Verbargs. They are an H&M retailer and a "better" furniture store.
    They don't have a lot of H&M on the floor, but at least 4-6 of their sofas, last time I was there.
    Less than a mile from Kenwood Towne Center, where you are going for Restoration, Arhaus, Pottery Barn, etc.

Prices are okay there. Customer service is fantastic. I custom ordered new sofa/chair/ottoman from them.. hated it, and they took it back for full store credit. (I know.. I'm an idiot).
    Thanks for the reply. I will check it out...my new goal is to find a place to witness this 4192 in person.

The 4192 may be hard to find to try out, its a huge sofa.... I had a floor model in my store that just was delivered last month. It was too big for my small showroom, so I will not re-order one for the floor.
    Duane Collie

BevoGal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You are shopping all the trendy mall stores (Pottery Barn, Arhaus, Restoration Hardware). They are known for high-profile locations and mediocre to poor quality.
    I thought I'd chime in as well - those stores are okay for accessories, but I would not purchase your core furniture pieces from them. There is a reason you see "Pottery Barn Sofa" listed for sale on Craigslist so often - they do not hold up. I like my furniture to last for a VERY long time, and I plan to have my Hancock & Moore sectional forever. If you are committed to building a quality furniture framework for your home, H&M is worth the investment!