Thread: I went to another furniture store today....

Default I went to another furniture store today....

After the Washington Post did a glowing article on another small furniture store that is just 8 miles from mine, I had to go see what it looked like and did so today. I grabbed my wife and off we went today, and quite honestly I was expecting to be impressed and rather blown away based on the Wash Post article.

We got there and looked around, and I did not get the vibe that this was a $ 3 mil in sales store annually as in the article - you can kind of tell when you are in the business. They had quite a bit of American Leather and its not a very impressive product I have to say. The three brands I have in my store are all at a higher build level in my opinion. The "Amish" furniture in the article was your average garden-variety mid-level high speed production product, certainly not exceptional nor as romantic as the writer put in his article. It's just common belt sanded, lacquer-finished with many a poor board match on drawer fronts, etc.

They do have location And that appears to make a difference. Prices were pretty high and I came home a bit perplexed and shaking my head at how I have far superior product for less money yet they get the Washington Post article! I guess that's the press for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: I went to another furniture store today....

It's not nicknamed the Washington Compost for nothing, Duane!

Time to invite the reporter to The Keeping Room. Im sure the Washington Post would want to further assist their readership in fully understanding and appreciating the value an extra eight mile drive.

I tend to avoid reporters and newspapers, as I have found they twist the truth to suit how they want the story to come out. I was broadsided by a Washington Post reporter 16 years ago doing an article on furniture who made me look pretty bad in the article as a person, not the subject I was addressing. I was stunned when it came out....and quite upset. In retrospect, one has to be very careful in how you talk to them, you cannot speak like you would in a normal conversation with someone, you have to have all your guards up at maximum.

It's not all bad though, after going into that store yesterday I know I have much better product, better prices, and no where near the rent payment /overhead they have. I imagine they will be one in another year or two, I'm still in the same spot 30 years now and not going anywhere....
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The "Amish" furniture in the article was your average garden-variety mid-level high speed production product, certainly not exceptional nor as romantic as the writer put in his article. It's just common belt sanded, lacquer-finished with many a poor board match on drawer fronts, etc.
    As you once said, "I am trying to dispel a myth that if its 'made by the Amish' you have something really special". You have not yet succeeded.

The article suggests that they have found something of a niche, selling custom furniture that is somewhat smaller than production pieces. (Among others, they serve "area residents seeking custom-made furniture designed to fit into slightly downsized spaces such as townhomes, co-ops and condos.") The store seems to emphasize the romantic vision (the idea of getting a custom "dining room table made on a farm in southern Virginia").
    Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I was broadsided by a Washington Post reporter 16 years ago doing an article on furniture who made me look pretty bad in the article as a person....
    Yeah... that's quite a hit piece. I think part of the difference is that the story mentioning you was written by a person who was really writing an entertainment / movie story, and she approached the story as would a nasty gossip columnist, while the recent story is written by a columnist who is ostensibly a business expert, and who could be sold an image of a nice couple from Ohio who came up with a winning business model for local yuppies (if we still use that term).

"They do have location And that appears to make a difference"

I live in New York and drove seven hours round trip to shop at your store...I hate the car but will drive for experience and quality.

You are too good a detective, Aaron!
    Duane Collie