Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shallow chesterfield?

Rachelm Guest

Default Shallow chesterfield?

Hi there, thank you very much for this forum I am learning a lot! My husband and I are getting ready to decorate our apartment in DC - we have never purchased a sofa before. We love the chesterfield style sofas. However, we are both pretty short - I'm 5'5 and he's 5'7 and most chesterfield sofas are too deep for us. I want to be able to sit in the sofa with my feet on the ground and my back against the sofa without needing a throw pillow. Today I sat on a button tufted sofa at arhaus that was very comfortable and they said it was 38" deep (as opposed to 40 which seems to be more the norm). I do think arhaus are overpriced, but so far all I have access to are big box stores. Duane, can you suggest any brands and models that you carry (we are local to you) that would satisfy our love of tufts and buttons but be shallow enough for us shorties to be comfortable in? Can you also give an indication of price range for a standard size leather sofa in that style from a quality manufacturer? Thank you very much for your help.

Default Re: Shallow chesterfield?

Surely,

You should be good on the Hancock & Moore# 8876-77 Kent Chesterfield Sofa. or the # 8172 Chesterfield. Both have low seat heights and neither is large format. If need be it can be customized to make either less deep, though I would not go under 20" inside depth based on your height, and the standard size may be fine as well - and most likely is. And I will guarantee you that no other maker button-tufts like H&M, they are the best in the business. H&M requests I do not quote prices, but I do have the MSRP price list here on the forum under LEATHER and you can use the multiplier in the notes to get pretty close on price.

Sorry, I do not have a floor model of these in my store. I do have a Sanctuary sofa and Chantal, which have the button tufted backs but they are not full-on Chesterfields.

Thanks
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rachelm Guest

Thanks! Do the sofas you mentioned above have a similar feel to the chesterfield? At least we can come in and test them out ��

Well...not really the same feel, but you can explore the button tuft workmanship and see lots of leathers. The Chesterfield sits unique, and you can find some photos here on the forum in the Library of ones we have delivered. Go to the search box top right and key in CHESTERFIELD and it should take you to the photos.
    Duane Collie

In reading your post, I am wanting to ensure that the "inside" depth is what is being compared as you consider various sofa styles. Even when looking at sofas with the same depth measurement, often the various back cushioning can make one sit differently than another. Also some specific styles may fit your interests but not necessarily show up as "Chesterfield" ...a case in point could be the H&M Tavern Sofa:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=tavern

We purchased a 8372 Chesterfield (seat height and depth are slightly different from the 8172 Duane mentioned) and couldn't be happier. I'm 5'10", wife is 5'4" and we both find it very comfortable. The slightly lower arm height of the 8172/8372 is a big difference to me.

We have a H&M Chesterfield loveseat (8171) and it is very comfortable and I think the depth would be a good size for you. If you are looking for that style, I d heartily recommend them. The only downside is the extra care it takes to clean/condition them with all of the buttons and creases.

Rachelm Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    We have a H&M Chesterfield loveseat (8171) and it is very comfortable and I think the depth would be a good size for you. If you are looking for that style, I d heartily recommend them. The only downside is the extra care it takes to clean/condition them with all of the buttons and creases.
    Thank you all so much for the advice! Now I just need to find a showroom where I can test some out!

Baker's Furniture in Georgetown had a Kent sleeper sofa on the floor last time I was there....probably still there.
    Duane Collie

Here's a photo of the Hancock and Moore Kent Chesterfield in GR 3 leather Tiburon Basil that they were showing at the October 2015 High Point Market. This shows off the button tufting detail very well. No one tufts like H&M, with precise diamonds and deep, well-centered tufts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3666.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	8076

I took this with my FujiFilm X100T camera. Looks Professional, doesn't it? Best camera I have ever owned, I don't even use my big Nikon any more with all those lenses, too bulky!
    Duane Collie