Thread: Quality chairs?

Rolodetective Guest

Default Quality chairs?

Hello all....I haven't been able to find out much about this brand of furniture.

Construction components seem to be quality, but I am asking to see if anyone has any feedback on these pieces. My apologies if this should be in the craigslist finds sub forum. Duane please move to that sub if you feel it would be better placed there. My thoughts process was that I was asking about the brand quality, as opposed to "look what I found".

Btw, the weight of each piece is 42 lbs I think.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/fuo/5394017041.html

All my best,
    Rolodetective.

Default Re: Quality chairs?

Not familiar with that brand, but I can tell you for sure that frame is surely not made of Walnut - more likely its plywood with a walnut-colored foot, and its highly unlikely it has a pure feather and down seat/back as those flatten like a pancake especially in leather. I can see the hide is a pure aniline, however. Other than that...who knows?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Rolodetective Guest

Just learned the manufacturer of these chairs are Southern Furniture Company.

Reading up on the company now, but additional insight is appreciated.

Rolodetective Guest

Well, there's not A LOT out there reference Southern Furniture....most of the online info has been written in this forum, with some thin info in other online sources. Seems Southern is a bit eccentric in their business model as far as customers go. Beyond that, I can't seem to get a solid impression of their build quality.
    I'm not expecting B-Y, or H&M....but for 30% of the cost of those two, would I be getting 85% of the quality.

I'm looking at these pieces today, wondering how I can best access the build quality of them? Any advice?

Use your eyes and hands. Push outwards on the arms, how much flex is there? Look at the tailoring and how tight the leather is pulled to the frame. Pinch the arms and back...do you feel the shape of the wood or is it padded? If its an 8-way coil spring deck, you can feel the outline of the springs on the bottom of the seat deck with your hand. That sort of thing...
    Duane Collie

Rolodetective Guest

Went and saw the chairs not long ago.....nice....but TINY.
    They felt well built with little flex. The construction utilized a serpentine suspension system. The aniline leather was quite nice however.

We also went to our local B-Y dealer. We've decided on a B-Y recliner and I initially wanted a 3 way Morgan, though the more I thought about it...between my wife, myself and 2 young children I've considered a power recliner might be better. Though slightly more expensive, I think they tend to take less "abuse" than the mechanical systems, and they have infinitely more position options than the 3 ways.

Unfortunately they sold their Morgan so we weren't able to see it in person, but they power Roswell in leather. I liked it. It was priced nicely at $1849 out the door. Not sure of the grade but I assume prob their entry level and had espresso legs.
    That price BTW was the sale price paid for with cash/check/store credit card.

Duane, do you have any opinions on the Roswell vs Morgan, power vs mechanical and finally with the the limited info I have...the price on that Roswell?

Please fill out the quote form here on the forum and I will be glad to quote it for you.

One thing to be aware of with power recliners, they have no safety stops in the scissors mechanism. You mention you have young children, and some kids can be rowdy and adventuresome. If they get to playing around and some sticks a finger in there while another one is playing with the buttons.....here's a video I made on it.

https://youtu.be/ph7ik5wzSSM
    Duane Collie

Crs2x7 Guest

this may be off topic but I need some help. I'm looking at buying a couple of recliners and have been searching the internet for the best brands (quality and price). I currently have a credit at a local furniture store because I ended up not liking the couch that I originally ordered. Instead of returning my money they let me have a credit. I'm trying to find a recliner that I like that will stand the test of time and also be extremely comfortable. Would love some suggestions on what brands and models to look at. I also wanted some opinions on Smith Brother's. I'm looking at 2 manual reclining chairs from their 414 leather collection. I'm getting quoted at $1900 per chair. Is this a fair price? Also, are these chairs going to knock my socks off with comfort?

Hey Crs, I know Smith Brothers has been talked about around here, if you do a search you'll turn up some posts. For good quality recliners around here you'll probably hear the usual brands of Taylor King, Bradington Young, Hancock & Moore, etc. Search for recliner on this forum and I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.