Thread: sit marks on leather seats

McCall Guest

Default sit marks on leather seats

Ok this is a silly question, but how soon would one expect to see sit marks on a seat cushion? What I am talking about his a kind of scrunched stretched well sort of area in the sit spot of the cushion. Hard to discribe but I am sure you know it when you see it. Is such a depression/stretched area considered a good or bad thing overall, Patina and all that?

The reason I ask is that my furniture arrived yesterday and I have now sat on my new Bradington Young chair 3 times for about 5 min per time and it all ready has such a depression. Which is funny because I do not remember any of the models in the store having them in spite of the fact many people sit on them every day.

What do you say Duane is this good or bad? I like old chairs with patina but didn't expect it to act this way in one day.

They all do it! Every brand, every model, every hide. The leather has some elasticity to it (stretches, just like skin) and you're seeing the result of that. Thick leathers are a little less prone to the pocketing but not my much. They smooth out easily with just a rub of the hands. If it gets severe over time you can put a hair dryer on the area and that will tighten it up, or remove the internal cushion and have it 'wrapped' so that it fits the leather casing much tighter, and have some crown added to the top of the cushion.

If you get a chance, post a photo of the 'pocketing' on your chair seat before you smooth it out and let me take a look to see if it might appear excessive. If it is, B-Y will wrap your cushion for you at no charge (as described above).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.