Thread: Sofas for Short People

Hybrid View

Riddle Guest

Default Sofas for Short People

I found you via old posts on Garden Web. This a wonderful site!

I'm in the market for a new sofa. I hadn't considered leather, because I generally like more feminine furniture. There are far few fabrics available in the natural fibers that I perfer, so I decided to branch out and consider leather.

I sat on an H&M Sloane sofa today. I thought it would be too deep (I'm 5'3"), but it was surprisingly comfortable. Too bad that my local store didn't have the shallower sofas to try. Any comments about the differences in these sofas beyond the obvious size and style items?
    • 1940 Garden
    • 4111 Garden
    • 4354 Sloane
    • 5037 Griffin

Could you estimate prices for Sloane in classes 1 and 3? I thought that the local price was a bit high for class 2 leather, but tufting and nailhead trim are labor-intensive, so maybe not.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Riddle; 06-01-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks!

It's hard to find a sofa for your size that will feel like it fits you. Leathercraft makes a few recliners specifically made for petite ladies, but there are no similar sofas.

In Hancock and Moore, this one will probably fit you best:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...?productid=933

And you can get any H&M piece in both fabric and leather.

Another option would be to slightly customize one of the H&M pieces you list above if you like. I think we can probably drop the seat height an inch without too much difficulty and shorten the inside seat depth by an inch as well.

The Sloane is not a small sofa. I sell it for $ 2,480 in Grade 1 plus shipping/delivery. In Grade 3 its $ 3,545.

All the models you selected are mainstream sizes, and will sit about the same. Nothing to extreme from one model to another.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Riddle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The Sloane is not a small sofa. I sell it for $ 2,480 in Grade 1 plus shipping/delivery. In Grade 3 its $ 3,545.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I expect to compromise on length and seat height because my husband is a six-footer. He's starting to realize that sitting straighter feels better, so reducing the depth of a sofa by an inch is interesting. Of course, switching to a shallower sofa would be much less expensive. It’s not as though I have my heart set on a particular sofa – yet.

My local store's prices definitely reflect the rent at a prime location. Their grade 2 (not 1) price was well above your grade 3. I understand charging whatever the market will bear. Their mark-up-to-appear-to-mark-down game, however, makes me a wee bit owly. I suppose it works for them. Your prices are very friendly and I prefer your more direct approach. I need to learn more about the different leathers. If we decide to go with leather, you’ll definitely hear from me!

Actually, we can gain that inch on the inside seat depth just by going with overfilled inserts, which cost nothing extra. One of the things I really like about H&M is their willingness to make slight mods at no extra charge. Another option that some of my customers choose is to make a small bolster pillow in the same material as the sofa that fits in the small of your back, just enough so you don't feel like Rosanna-Rosanna-Dana from SNL swinging your legs on the sofa.

As I've posted many times, every store has to set their prices where they are comfortable. I'm more aggressively prices than the majority of H&M dealers, but I have to rely on volume to keep those low prices! So pass the word and keep the orders rolling in!

There's lots of info already here on the forum about leathers, but if you have a question and don't see an answer, just ask away. You can also do fabrics on H&M (and use any of Jessica Charles or Council Craftsmen fabrics on H&M).
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.