Thread: Just saw Royal Pedic!

Barbara Guest

Default Just saw Royal Pedic!

We have been furniture shopping (looking) for a few months now, and finally saw a Royal Pedic mattress is a store that handles H/M and T/K that we went to see. They were very impressive and now we are considering postponing two of our four furniture purchases to divert the funds to one of these mattresses! I know you (Duane) really like the all cotton model, but I would like to know your opinion of the latex and why you chose cotton. We have latex now, and have loved it for eleven years (the only con is its heaviness), but the body indentations on the pillow-top are uncomfortable now. Would you recommend cotton over latex? My husband was also very impressed with the adjustable bed, and wanted to know the pros and cons of this (aside from cost). I know if you get adjustable it must be latex, but there are two--regular and quilted top. I think we made a mistake last time in getting a pillow top on latex, but when it was new it was fabulous. Does the all cotton mattress weigh considerably less? Any additional information you could add regarding the latex models would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Judyg951 Guest

Default Re: Just saw Royal Pedic!

I bought the latex model and really like it. It took a little getting used to as our old bed had those body impressions and was to quite Duane "used up". Once we adjusted to it we have been happy and sleeping well.

Barbara Guest

Thanks for your reply. Did you get the regular or the quilt-top? On the literature it says the quilt-top is softer. The regular is a firmness rating of 2 while the quilt-top is a 4. It looks like the all cotton mattress without any topper is a 1--the firmest.

I sell about thirty cotton units for every latex. I know in my house, I have (4) R.Pedics and all are the basic All Cotton - for my wife and I, the latex is too soft for us. It really comes down to what feels good to you. They are all heavy, dense beds, there is no air you are paying for in a Royal Pedic.

There are two basic kinds of Latex, synthetic and natural (quite costly).
    The Standard Royal Pedic Latex is 70% Natural and 30 % Synthetic, and the latex is formed and molded in Holland, where the best core maker's factories are located.
    The Organic Royal Pedic is 97% Natural with 3% binding agents added. Its more costly because it is all natural (except for the binding agents needed) but has a stronger, concentrated "rubber" odor.

The standard is more durable and less costly. Unless you simply much have the Organic unit, the Standard is a better bed in my opinion.
    Cheaper latex beds come out of Malaysia and make use a Polypropylene core and are surrounded by the latex, and built using the 'Dunlop' method which is faster/cheaper than the traditional method in the Netherlands.

I have never sold an adjustable frame bed so I have no experience with them, sorry.

The "Quilt Top" model is built over the same foundation as the 7-Zone, there is just an added layer of padding on each side of about 3/4 of an inch.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

We bought the Quilt top standard latex model. The quilt top does not seem to provide that much extra padding to me, but then I don't really remember trying the standard latex at the store. We bought it without the extra mattress topper even though we had tried and liked the mattress with it. Duane suggested that we go without it at first. We are pretty used to it now, but still want the extra softness of the topper. So one of theses days.......soon I hope.

The advice I've heard is never buy a "pillow top" mattress because the padding just wears down within 2 years and you have dents and there is nothing you can do but replace the mattress ($$$). It is better to buy a flat mattress and then a topper because when the topper wears out it is much cheaper to replace than the whole mattress.

Judyg951 Guest

My pillow top mattress lasted close to 10 years before developing those dents so I do think it does depend on the quality of the mattress that you buy.