Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&M Mesquite or Prairie leather? Martini or District?

Jake8 Guest

Default H&M Mesquite or Prairie leather? Martini or District?

This is our room, well part of it. It is a large great room, about 34 x 26, with the kitchen and dining area on one side and the living area on the other. The floors are lightly stained character hickory and the rug is 10 1/2 x 13. We currently have 2 large BY leather sofas that we need to replace. They are placed L shape and that works. We would like to get 2 new sofas and an ottoman. We've been looking at the H&M 5736 Martini, but are now interested on the new style, District, #6214. Not sure about that. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3259.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	8101

This is the Martini and the District....

Name:	5736-3_Martini_SO1_HR.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	8102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-6-2016_10-59-44_AM_1_HR.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	8103

We had picked Mesquite Saddle leather but I just got the new Prairie samples and we like it too. I would be very happy with either of them The Prairie is a bit darker and I like that. The Prairie is grade 2 and the Mesquite is grade 3. Duane, could you take a look at your Prairie sample and compare it with the others and tell me which you think is a better quality leather? I'll try to attach a picture of the samples we are deciding on against the rug.....

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	8104

Left to right: Cameo Tan Burnished, Cameo Carmel Burnished, Mesquite Saddle, Prairie Caramel, Prairie Chestnut

We've been thinking of doing the sofas in a saddle color and the ottoman in a darker color (Prairie Chestnut?)

SuzanneSLO Guest

Default Re: H&M Mesquite or Prairie leather? Martini or District?

Is the Martini Sofa in the Cameo Carmel Burnished still available in the Town & Country promotion? If so, it might be a significant savings over the other options.

We looked at it seriously, until Duane convinced me a sectional was a better fit for our room. We decided on a City sectional in Cameo Tan Burnished. We are really pleased with the color and feel of the leather. It can be hard to decide when there are so many great options! -- Suzanne

Jake8 Guest

Suzanne - I believe that it is still available, at least it was a month or so ago. Duane had mentioned that to me. We weren't ready to order yet at the time. I'd love to see a picture of your sectional, would really like to see the Cameo Tan Burnished made up in a sofa.

SuzanneSLO Guest

Here's the post with my (poor quality) photos: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ighlight=Cameo

By the way, you can search on this site for photos of the various leathers by using the search function. An Duane's photos are much better than mine!

Best of luck in your decision. -- Suzanne

Yes, the # 5736-3 Martini Sofa is in Town and Country in GR 3 "Cameo Tan Burnished" leather.

Two different looks in those sofas, which style do you prefer? The District has a picture frame back and more padding on the arm tops, the Martini has more of a high back look, and flattened arms, with swoopy lets. Pitch and sit angles will be similar on either, so it mostly comes down to the look.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jake8 Guest

Suzanne - thank you for posting the link to your sectional. It's good to know that you had a good experience with buying sight unseen. That makes me a bit nervious! I trust Duane to do his job, but I doubt my own ability to make the best choice.

I do believe that I'd like our sofas to be a bit darker than your sectional so maybe the Prairie Caramel would be a better choice for us since it's darker than our original Mesquite pick. Duane.... please take a look at your Prairie samples and let me know what you think of it. Since it's a new leather, I hesitate with it. Also, is there something else that you would recommend we look at? I'm looking for unprotected aniline. (Wonder where I learned that? :-)

Taking a look at the samples, I like the color of the PRAIRIE series, but I think it has to much topcoat and is too slick - and the hand is - well - there isn't much of one. Not my fav... Here it is next to Mesquite Saddle (on the right side)

Name:	Prairie  Mesquite.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	8110

I will tell you what I would buy...if this were my piece. I'd get the Hyde Park Tan Burnished, which is on the right side of this photo next to the Prairie Caramel. Yes, you have to go up a grade to a 3 class, but its softer, much more matte finish, you won't slide around on it and it won't give you a crinkled look after a few years use.

Name:	Prairie Hyde Park.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	8111

Prairie series reminds me of Rio, a leather I never used much as when its made up has too much gloss and not enough softness. Sorry to throw you a curve ball....but that's my assessment!
    Duane Collie

Jake8 Guest

I'm looking at my vast collection of H&M samples. I have the Hyde Park Tan and it seems pebbly (not in a bad way but not really what we wanted), the Prairie seems thinner and shiny, the Cameo seems shiny, and the Mesquite feels best. It is smooth, not shiny. Smooth and thick. Just worried about the color. It may be too light. Duane, yours looks darker. My little 3 x 4 piece is much lighter than yours. Are all of the above mentioned leathers aniline? I see that the sale is starting, gotta make a decision!! I am going to request a quote.

Jake8 Guest

I was just looking through that great post with all the pics of burnished leathers
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...esquite+saddle

There is a pic of the Martini sofa done in the Hyde Park Tan Burnished. It doesn't look at all pebbly. It doesn't look anything like the sample that I have here!
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Oct2012085.jpg

As I have posted many times, samples are made from salvage leather, parts of the hide that are cut out from the patterns and dropped on the floor. They are suitable for color, sheen, softness - but not grain pattern. Almost all leather near the neck and belly of the cow is discarded, as the grain pattern is too severe in those areas - and that's what a lot of samples are made from.
    Duane Collie