Thread: Hancock and Moore - fun photo to share

Default Hancock and Moore - fun photo to share

I am amused by this photo, sent to me today from the workshop floor of the factory at H&M.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	8116

What are you looking at? Well, there is a level across the back of the chair and seat back cushion and you will notice they spent some time to have that bubble perfectly level. This is one of a matching pair of 5691-1 Bohemian chairs ordered for one of our forum members and going into final trim today.

http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...Bohemian-Chair

I have this same chair in my store, and by design the back cushion is 'below' the height of the back in order to show off the back detail. Here's the one in my store, you can see that with the ruler....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boHem.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	8117

We made a special request with the order that the seat back cushion be level with the top of the chair back frame, just because that's what the customer wanted. Not only did they make sure it got done that way, they sent me a picture! Now I ask you, how many manufacturers would do this? If I asked any other of my upholstery suppliers to do this they would laugh at the thought their workers would take the time to read the work order, tweak it so, and then be bothered to get a level and take a photo.

This is why I love this company, and why they operate at a different level than others. It's called "Pride in Worksmanship", and it still exists. Those of you that have taken a tour of Hancock and Moore know of what I speak.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore - fun photo to share

That's amazing they would go to those lengths to make an alteration to their design.

Default Re: Hancock and Moore - fun photo to share

Here's the difference between a company like Bradington Young and Hancock and Moore:

Bradington Young: "We don't do custom"

Hancock and Moore (this from the CEO): "Test us. We can do it"

Now in some cases, you will have to pay for that custom (in the above instance it was done at no charge). And sometimes people come up with things so complex that we take a pass on the order, but 98% of the time, they can accommodate a customer's request. Just yesterday we shipped a pair of # 1724 Journey Sofas to Texas and both had 10" added in length to the frame. Custom charge in a GR 2 leather was $ 1,050 per sofa, as an example.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.