Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: York photos and input, anyone?

Question York photos and input, anyone?

Anyone have pictures of their York or from a showroom? I have only seen the white one from the october 2010 market photos. Can anyone chime in on how they have liked owning it?

I like the elegant, yet simplistic lines and legs on the York. I feel like Hancock and Moore did a knockout job making a transitional sofa, that could be very ho-hum plain, be eye catching with the perfect proportions, scale, lines, and legs. For our sectional, I am debating between it and a very different style, the Lacross, which I feel may have a better "sit" (looks just a pinch higher, slightly more upright, and a touch less deep) and has the comfort of rolled arms. The Lacross appeals to someone who gravitates toward a chesterfield but needs a more comfortable, functional style of it. I do like the Lacross' big, tufted arms, but I keep thinking that the clean lined York fits my unfussy, yet graceful (mostly Shaker) style better, especially with the addition of a line of nails on the bottom to up the elegance a bit.

Would you spring for the down for it? The down seems to add an inviting looking plumpness that accentuates the York's style, but I'm unsure as to how it will compress overtime, leading to puddled leather or comfort issues???

I am also concerned about the two seams running on top of the square arms... How stress on them over time will affect the seam's integrity, being right on top, and if the arms will start to have puddling from it as well... I do have 3 children 5 and under and am planning on another!

Thanks for input anyone!

Default Re: York photos and input, anyone?

Seams are not a problem area on the arm....

Down cores if you like soft and cush. Standard cores if you prefer firmer.

The York series is not prone to puddling at all. Any Ultra Down core will show a bit more however vs the standard core as its more flexible. Probably on average 10% more, its not a lot.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Good to know. Personal preference I know, but would you think down would be good with a pull up leather since it is stiffer than say Capri.

I am mulling over adding a row (or two) of nails to the track arm tops, but I am wondering if it might not be good because of the t-cushions--- would the nails rub the leather and damage it? And would it look odd for the rows of nails to disappear under the cushion?

I definitely want a row of nails along the bottom... The small lone star or el paso. I love the gimp and small spaced nail look on that market photo piece... I think a contrasting gimp in a caramel colorway would be fabulous with the body being tiburon java. However, I am thinking maybe the gimp isn't necessary and I could use that money toward down cushions... I dont know... I wonder how it would look with small *spaced* nails along the bottom with no gimp? Or would regular end-to-end nails be better when forgoing gimp? Oh meticulous decisions...

I don't think the nails on top of the arm of the York will add to it, they disappear behind both cushions (seat and back). if you want more nails other than the base, I'd outline the outside arm on each side, and then ask for 1-piece side panels if they can to it. That would be sharp.

The Lone Star and El Paso nails are PREMIUM nails, so be aware there are two charges for them. You pay a fee to add standard nails to a piece, then another on top of that for Premium nails. The York is very clean-lined an sleek, you don't need a gimp, but if you want one on there you certainly can! Generally nails over Gimp are spaced, and then when not on gimp - usually head-to-head.
    Duane Collie

Ah, I suspected there might be an upcharge for those nails. Hefty?

One piece side panels would be fabulous. I had actually been wishing for that. Do you think they would charge extra?

I think you're right on the nails disappearing. Nails on the outside on the arms- as in line the entire side panels? I'm trying to visualize it.

Perhaps like this one? It even has a t cushion frame too. http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...oma-Plum-Seats. Nails framing the back like that could give it interest when/ if it floats as well (we move a LOT). Would it look too over the top on the elegantly casual York, though? I think that the Paley is even more casual than the York though, and the nails do bring something extra to the table, but so does that suede, which I am not doing.

I am deliberating over slightly spaced nails, 1/4" maybe, for ease of cleaning/ maintenance... How do you think that would look?

Ha, I hope I'm not giving you a headache by now... I will need assistance with the wood finish to dress those legs next !

Yes, Premium nails are pricey. I rarely buy them for floor stock unless I can get them as part of a Market Special.

Nails spaced or not will not be a maintenance issue, its just a visual preference, nothing more.

One piece leather side panels (no seams) should be do-able, but will take the centers of two hides so there will be upcharges due to the waste/salvage. I have a call in to them to see what that might be.
    Duane Collie

Before I proceed with a different nail selection, which nails are premium?

I am tempted to buy the star nails myself and try to have a go at it, but on a sectional, I bet it would be a nightmare for such an inexperienced novice as I... I would hate to ruin my new expensive sofa!

I REALLY like the new pewter FFF nail in your picture that looks like a dark, matte silver/ pewter. Your photo is much darker than what has previously been nicknamed pewter (the CC Carpenter's nail) and HMs photo of the FFF which appears like a matte, bright silver-- makes me nervous that some of them are very light?! Is it a match to BY gunmetal? How do you think it will look on York with Tiburon Java?

I considered II empire and S truscan, but considering the transitional style of the sofa, I'm not sure either of those would look right. I still love the texas star nails, but I just cant justify them at this time for the cost... That "look" does make me gravitate toward the II nail, though. I'm making myself crazy!

You are going to try to hammer in your own nails? That's a REALLY BAD IDEA. You will ruin your new Hancock and Moore piece. It is much hard to do than it looks. If you doubt that, get a piece of maple (not pine), put a piece of scrap leather over it and staple it to the board. Then I will mail you about 20 nails for you to play with. Your goal is to get them precisely aligned in a straight line either head to head or equidistant from one another. It's quite challenging, I've tried it and failed, and I am pretty handy.

You can order nail samples just like you can order leather swatches. A list of standard nails are in the H&M price book I have posted here on the forum. Mostly they will be various colors of the round and smooth nails.
    Duane Collie