Thread: HM Sofa cushions pet damage

jap1123 Guest

Default HM Sofa cushions pet damage

I have an HM Sofa purchased about 14 yrs ago. Over time and my negligence the cushions have gotten quite worn from dog paws. I've been considering getting some leather dye and coloring the cushions but thought I would check here first. I have never thoroughly cleaned or conditioned the leather. Can it be helped? Unable to upload photo.

sstarrx2 Guest

Default Re: HM Sofa cushions pet damage

I was pretty much in the same boat with my Flexsteel Sofa and Love seat. It can be helped, but it is not a permanent solution. It will require maintenance on a regular basis, every few months. I do not know what type of leather you have on your sofa, but my flexsteel is Semi Aniline leather. I bought this product called Furniture Clinic Leather Re-Colouring Balm. It is made in England, if you could not tell from the spelling. It has the consistency of chocolate pudding or nutella. I rub it in with an old tee shirt and wipe it off after 20 minutes. You may need to repeat on tough areas that are really bad. It does a pretty good job and will make your scratches almost vanish to the eye. You purchase the shade that is closest to the color of your leather. I have dark brown and it works fine with my dark sofa. It will only color the areas that are scratched, so you do not have to worry about your good leather getting darker, it will wipe right off of those areas. Duane may have a better solution. I am sure he will pipe in when he feels better.
    Last edited by sstarrx2; 02-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Send the casings to Pam at Leather Solutions International. If anyone can restore them, she can.

Leather Solutions Int'l
    PO Box 2014
    Asheboro, NC. 27204

Phone:
    (866) 875-7446
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

astropixel Guest

Hi jap1123,
    Can you remember which leather you bought? Is it a finished leather or a more natural one, i.e. protected vs. unprotected?
    I'm curious because we're about to order several pieces and we've got two Australian Shepherds who will be climbing up with us. We certainly plan to keep our furniture for more than 14 years too. ;~)
    We're going to get an unprotected pull-up leather, but it would be nice to know your experience in any event. Two different sets of sofas with protected leather have gotten scratched, but still nothing too bad.

Good luck with your reconditioning.