Thread: H-M recliner for my big man

djcpa1224 Guest

Default H-M recliner for my big man

Duane,

I bought 2 Austin love seats and 2 Jessica Charles Powell swivel rockers about 8-10 years ago. They fit my (average sized) family & house at that time, they are still in great condition and they are in use every day. However since then I have gotten divorced, moved into a condo and gotten remarried to a wonderful man who is 6'3" 300lb and can't sit comfortably in any of my furniture.

I want to buy him a recliner that fits his frame and fits into our condo. He really likes those old soft recliners that look like huge mushrooms, but isn't interested in buying junk. He sat in the Sadler yesterday and said it was really comfortable. He didn't like the Sundance or Weymuth because they were too hard & stiff. We are going to look at the Journal tomorrow morning.

The most difficult issue is room arrangement. I am going to try to attach a room layout so you can help me decide the best pieces to buy. We are thinking about buying his & hers recliners and perhaps a small sectional or sofa. We would use at least one or both of the Austin recliners in other areas of our house.

The center of our condo is one large room from the front door all the way to the back of the house. As you stand at the back of the house in front of the fireplace facing the front door, the bedrooms are on the right and the kitchen is on the left. We use the front part of the room as an office with a desk, lateral files and a bookcase. The office area is separated from the living area by the walking path between the master bedroom and the kitchen.

I want to continue to use my Jessica Charles chairs. We really like the position of our tv, although we have the electricals set up on the opposite wall if we needed to move things around. We also really like sitting near our fireplace gas logs that we use every day during fall & winter.

Thanks for your advise and for this forum. I have become a very educated buyer through your helpful posts.

Donna

Default Re: H-M recliner for my big man

Check out the Parkway Recliner by H&M. It's a larger version of the Sadler more or less. But if he fits in a Sadler, then you are in good shape. That's what I have in my house....'stiffness' can be adjusted with Ultra Down cushions, btw.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

djcpa1224 Guest

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8137[/ATTACH

Here is a floor plan of the den & office area of our condo. The measurements are accurate to the inch.

I'm now trying to figure out how to reduce the file size of my photos so I can upload those as well.

Is it possible to add a swivel rocker and a leather skirt to the Sadler?

Thanks so much for helping me.

Donna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Den floor plan.jpeg 
Views:	264 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	8137  

Jenny Guest

Edited below.
    Last edited by Jenny; 02-24-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Jenny Guest

My other half is 6'2, and we had a hard time with recliners as well. He, like your husband, wanted nothing but the giant mushroom-block recliners that you see most often in La-Z-Boy. We live in a condo as well, and one of those giant chairs just dwarfed everything in sight.

It also didn't really fit with everything else in the place, so I dragged him around looking for recliners for big fellows that don't take up too much space and actually look stylish, and we eventually fell in love with this one: http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...-Claw-Recliner

sstarrx2 Guest

That is a good looking recliner! I wonder what leather that is...it is so shiny it looks wet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    My other half is 6'2, and we had a hard time with recliners as well. He, like your husband, wanted nothing but the giant mushroom-block recliners that you see most often in La-Z-Boy. We live in a condo as well, and one of those giant chairs just dwarfed everything in sight.

It also didn't really fit with everything else in the place, so I dragged him around looking for recliners for big fellows that don't take up too much space and actually look stylish, and we eventually fell in love with this one: http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...-Claw-Recliner

You might also consider the Weymuth recliner if you like that wingback style. It's a little larger inside width and it's also in the Town and Country Program which is a considerable savings. The married cover is a Gr 3 Gaucho Mocha Burnished.

http://hancockandmoore.com/Products/...ymuth-Recliner

http://hancockandmoore.com/Leather/5...ocha-Burnished
    Last edited by Kyracer57; 02-25-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Jenny Guest

I'm not sure. I couldn't find a picture of it in the leather we liked, but I think we went with a more traditional brown. It is a beautiful recliner though, and it really is hard to find good looking chairs that fit taller, broader people.