Duane,

I think both of your ideas have merit. The major drawbacks for creating a larger rug are waiting a year for it to be resized and then a larger rug may not work with future plans to downsize to a smaller home when I retire and relocate back to an area with some mountains. Your chair rail idea is very similar to what I am already considering, installing wainscot. Since I am already planning on respraying and possibly replacing the trim in many areas of the house, installing wainscot in the living room has an appeal.

As Plan B (near term fix), we pulled a few rugs out of storage this weekend and experimented with using two area rugs to split the large living room into two functional spaces. Although we are still working on determining which rugs compliment each other and may have to find another rug, these three pictures re-enforce something you relayed to me over a course of several months, quality furniture with classic lines, like the H&M and John Buchanan furniture we purchased, can be used to create many different looks and can be used in multiple rooms/houses. Considering I end up relocating at least once every decade, purchasing furniture that can be used for many years no matter where I live was a selling point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9955 small.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9953 small.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	8195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9957 small.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	83.0 KB