Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Buchanan Custom Tables and Demi-Lune

Default Re: John Buchanan Custom Tables and Demi-Lune

Duane,

I think both of your ideas have merit. The major drawbacks for creating a larger rug are waiting a year for it to be resized and then a larger rug may not work with future plans to downsize to a smaller home when I retire and relocate back to an area with some mountains. Your chair rail idea is very similar to what I am already considering, installing wainscot. Since I am already planning on respraying and possibly replacing the trim in many areas of the house, installing wainscot in the living room has an appeal.

As Plan B (near term fix), we pulled a few rugs out of storage this weekend and experimented with using two area rugs to split the large living room into two functional spaces. Although we are still working on determining which rugs compliment each other and may have to find another rug, these three pictures re-enforce something you relayed to me over a course of several months, quality furniture with classic lines, like the H&M and John Buchanan furniture we purchased, can be used to create many different looks and can be used in multiple rooms/houses. Considering I end up relocating at least once every decade, purchasing furniture that can be used for many years no matter where I live was a selling point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9955 small.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	8196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9953 small.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	8195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9957 small.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	8197

Just wanted to say that the tables and demilune are lovely. Particularly the demilune. Wow.

We just started John building a custom Connecticut Highboy in Tiger Maple for one of our forum members. Should be a spectacular piece when finished in about two months time....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    We just started John building a custom Connecticut Highboy in Tiger Maple for one of our forum members. Should be a spectacular piece when finished in about two months time....
    Duane,
    Does John hang onto the written specs for these customs for either future reference or building something identical for another customer?

The reason I ask, is that I'm needing a smaller sized, 3-4 drawer chest & particularly LOVE this demilune he did. I was wondering if he could take all the details & elements of the demilune & transfer that into a chest of drawers?

I don't have the space in my bedroom for a full on 6 drawer dresser, & hang up most of my clothes anyways. But, I do need something for visual impact, as well as practical storage.

Thanks,
    Andrea

These are somewhat similar to what I'm looking for. The examples I've attached are beautiful, but a bit too period-esque for me. I really love John's interpretation & execution of Regency details in a more modern, cosmopolitan design. The attached images of similar chests do have the scale/size I'm looking for: ~ 41"W x 21"D x 38"- 40"H

Can John build a chest of drawers in the same manner of this demilune, or would we need to start over from scratch?

Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	494844-1-1400x1200.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	8697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	494646-1-1400x1200.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	8698  

Those would be from scratch, as you can't transfer a round pattern to rectangles. And they would be pricey, those are complex forms. My guess would be $ 5K to $ 7K
    Duane Collie

Those would be from scratch, as you can't transfer a round pattern to rectangles. And they would be pricey, those are complex forms. My guess would be $ 5K to $ 7K
    The smaller chests are complex, or something like taking the demilune & transferring that into a chest would be pricey?

I guess I phrased it oddly lol...I like the wood & the finishes he used on this particular demilune, esp the brass sabots: could he replicate this exact styled look(tapered foot, modern flare, etc) & finish in a chest of drawers without hitting that pricey price point you mentioned?

The pictures I attached are of Jonathan Charles chests @ they're priced ~ $2,800-$3,250. But, I'm unfamiliar with their quality & durability. I don't know much about Jonathan Charles furniture other than Jonathan Charles is a designer from England & it's sold in mostly higher end stores. Lol, well so's the same for a bunch of other so called "quality" brands like Theodore Alexander & Baker...yet their build quality & country of manufacture compared to their prices is of concern to me. After reading here over the past few weeks & learning all I've learned, thanks to you alone, I'm becoming more & more resolute in my stance of buying only American made furniture. Thank you for converting me

Duane,

I did a bit more searching around on the forum & saw a few posts where you stated you picked up a few Jonathon Charles pieces at Market one year because their build quality stood out to you, despite the fact they're manufactured in Vietnam. I agree, their website is a bit of a headache to navigate if you're not registered with a trade account. Are you still a dealer for them?

I don't remember the SKU numbers for the chests in the pics, & I'm hoping to find something a bit more modern in style while still incorporating the Regency details. I understand John's pieces are truely benchmade & heirloom quality, while Jonathon Charles is production line furniture...hence, the wide difference in value/price. If you're still selling JC pieces, I wouldn't be against possibly looking at purchasing one of their chests although I'd ideally prefer going the Buchanan route.

A Concept can transfer but a Pattern cannot. You can tweak a pattern slightly but usually it requires a new one unless the piece is a recreation of one previously made. Commissioning a one-of-a kind is never inexpensive, all that design work gets amortized into just a single piece.

I have Jonathan Charles in my store and its not bad, almost all the wood furniture is made in Vietnam. It's not even close to a hand-made creation by John Buchanan. That's real art - in the best wood.
    Duane Collie

A Concept can transfer but a Pattern cannot. You can tweak a pattern slightly but usually it requires a new one unless the piece is a recreation of one previously made. Commissioning a one-of-a kind is never inexpensive, all that design work gets amortized into just a single piece.

I have Jonathan Charles in my store and its not bad, almost all the wood furniture is made in Vietnam. It's not even close to a hand-made creation by John Buchanan. That's real art - in the best wood.
    Ah yes, & there's the conundrum: why buy a "beautiful" piece that's just standard production line furniture, when for a bit more you can have both a beautiful piece AND a work of art? Lol, I didn't always use to think like this. I used to be of the mindset that if it looked good & came from a reputable brand, then what the hell...let's get it!!

Now, after doing more research into the history of decorative arts & what makes a piece special, as well as the key things to look for in a quality made piece, my outlook has totally done a 180°.

I see a lot of the examples of John's work here on the forum have been done in tiger maple, which is beautiful, but not really along the lines of what I'm envisioning. I've always preferred mahogany, olive wood, burl walnut & satinwood. I'm not opposed to considering possibly using a less expensive base wood with a high quality veneer(of the woods I mentioned,) to achieve the look. So, with that said: does John typically work with any of the above mentioned woods? Would specifying the piece be done in any of those woods add or subtract from the price of a similarly made piece in tiger maple? I've read the Wood Basics thread, but many of these higher end production level furniture makers are featuring pieces in mahogany, burl walnut, satinwood, etc. I've not seen a single piece of tiger maple anywhere before until discovering the forum & still have only seen it in those pieces showcased here...I may be totally wrong here; but, that's lead me to believe the tiger maple is actually the more rare wood. And as such, more expensive. I may be missing them, but I haven't seen a mahogany or burl walnut piece from Treharn or Buchanan & that's why I ask

I'll look around some more & try to narrow it down to something that's more or so 90% of what I have in mind before further adding to your load with a John Buchanan quote, LOL! I've browsed thru almost all of JC's collections looking for a modern styled chest featuring these period details...so far, I've yet to find anything in particular.

I saw a Treharn chest in tiger maple from @ '10 that was closer to the JC price range, yet it was a Treharn piece slightly modified; NOT, a one-off. I know you use Buchanan for most of your custom work because it is awe inspiring!! I'd love a custom, American benchmade Buchanan piece JUST for the appreciation I have for his passion that's evident in his work. This is a difficult one to decide on: gorgeous & wallet friendly? Or, drop dead amazingly beautiful with a bigger hit to the wallet?