Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: John Buchanan Custom Tables and Demi-Lune

Default Re: John Buchanan Custom Tables and Demi-Lune

A master woodworker can create in any wood, or veneer for that matter. Figuring prices is done on an hourly rate + cost of materials. Let's say a project takes 300 board feet of Tiger Maple @ $ 6 a board foot. That's $ 1,800 in lumber. You want it made of a High Grade Mahogany instead (there are many grades) that might sell for $ $ 7 a board foot. That only alters the price by a $ 300 increase over the Tiger. Or lets say you take it and make it of plain soft maple which is $ 2 a board food. Now material cost is just $ 600. The labor charge will be the same on all three.

I use John Buchanan for custom work as he has 'an eye' for proportion and look, whereas Treharn not so much, and they are less likely to execute a concept well on the first build. And we don't want to do multiple builds unless its going to be a production piece. Treharn uses machine and tool operators, Buchanan is a Master Woodworker. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Tiger Maple (also called Curly Maple) is unique to America, and typically is rarely seen outside of New England. It only grows in VT, NH, upstate NY, parts of Maine and southern Ontario. It requires board-matching by hand and also a particular finish method to show the stripe effect. For that reason, its ill-suited to production furniture and when companies try to do it, they find out quickly they can't get the right look and its not worth the trouble. For that reason it remains in the hands of the small workshop where they can pay attention to detail rather than run through a production line.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok, I am understanding. Being from the South, it also probably explains why I've not seen any Tiger Maple pieces LOL

I do love the look of mahogany, esp flame mahogany but I'd have to research the various species to get a feel for how it might look in a finished state.

IIRC, that 1st pic of the JC chest states it's crotch mahogany. I'm unfamiliar with what that it is, etc & that's the sorta research I need to do. I know that burl is a naturally occurring phenomenon of wood, but NOT always...thus, it's a more rare/expensive wood. I've seen it more in olive woods than walnut.

I'm not familiar with satinwood, tho I've seen pieces state their satinwood inlaid, etc. Perhaps this is a wood traditionally only used for inlays & veneer?

I love the look of Cypress when it's done right & with my dad being born & raised in New Orleans, there's a LOT of Cypress in Louisiana. However, the nicer woods are hard to get to & that can exponentially raise the price of the wood. I don't think Cypress would particularly work for this chest I'm envisioning.

It'd be interesting to read a thread with a mini-bio on both Treharn & Buchanan. I'm now intrigued on how they got started out & what drew them to becoming cabinetmakers, etc

Asomer,

Yep, I'm a Louisiana gal, as well. The most beautiful kitchen I have ever seen was fitted with Cypress cabinetry. Hand waxed. Salvaged brick flooring. Lots of natural light so that the space wasn't like a dark study. 14' ceilings with salvaged beams. Absolutely gorgeous, but not in a froo-froo way. Handsome gorgeous, if that makes sense.

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Asomer,

Yep, I'm a Louisiana gal, as well. The most beautiful kitchen I have ever seen was fitted with Cypress cabinetry. Hand waxed. Salvaged brick flooring. Lots of natural light so that the space wasn't like a dark study. 14' ceilings with salvaged beams. Absolutely gorgeous, but not in a froo-froo way. Handsome gorgeous, if that makes sense.

TXCajun
    Absolutely makes sense! I know exactly the type of flooring you're referring to & can only imagine the cabinetry!! Was it in a New Orleans house, Garden District, French Quarter, etc?

TXCajun, we have a "village" here in The Woodlands by the name of East Shore & it's all brand-new construction homes on Lake Woodlands(man made lake,) that are replicas of famous Charleston & New Orleans houses. A lot of ppl building custom homes in East Shore are doing their kitchens &/or entire ground floor in reclaimed brick, or "aged" brick & it's beautiful!! Esp with wide open windows overlooking the lake...there's usually a cpl recently completed homes listed on Zillow(zip: 77380 & 77381) if you ever wanna peruse pretty pictures going down the online real estate rabbit hole

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Absolutely makes sense! I know exactly the type of flooring you're referring to & can only imagine the cabinetry!! Was it in a New Orleans house, Garden District, French Quarter, etc?
    It's in Shreveport. Lots of gorgeous, huge...HUGE...old homes there.

TXCajun

And, if I correctly recall, I think the Cypress was salvaged, as well. I think it's called sinker Cypress...been fully submerged for ages before being pulled for use. My Mammaw's house was on a Louisiana lake. Lots of Cypress trees, and knees. When boating/skiing, one has to be very careful of those knees!

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    And, if I correctly recall, I think the Cypress was salvaged, as well. I think it's called sinker Cypress...been fully submerged for ages before being pulled for use. My Mammaw's house was on a Louisiana lake. Lots of Cypress trees, and knees. When boating/skiing, one has to be very careful of those knees!

TXCajun
    Yes, Sinker Cypress is the cypress that's fallen into the swamps & bayous & been there for God knows how many years! The water actually enhances the wood's grain & character...but, somebody's gotta go in there & figure a way to get it outta the water. It can be dangerous, considering all the critters in those waters

It's pretty rare too, since shows like History Channel's Ax Men showcased, & now everybody's trying to retrieve all the Sinker Cypress. If you can still find some & it's useable, it'll cost ya...I've seen live edge Sinker Cypress dining tables going for $12,000!! Beautiful wood tho; it's kinda like our version of New England's prized Tiger Maple

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    A master woodworker can create in any wood, or veneer for that matter. Figuring prices is done on an hourly rate + cost of materials. Let's say a project takes 300 board feet of Tiger Maple @ $ 6 a board foot. That's $ 1,800 in lumber. You want it made of a High Grade Mahogany instead (there are many grades) that might sell for $ $ 7 a board foot. That only alters the price by a $ 300 increase over the Tiger. Or lets say you take it and make it of plain soft maple which is $ 2 a board food. Now material cost is just $ 600. The labor charge will be the same on all three.

I use John Buchanan for custom work as he has 'an eye' for proportion and look, whereas Treharn not so much, and they are less likely to execute a concept well on the first build. And we don't want to do multiple builds unless its going to be a production piece. Treharn uses machine and tool operators, Buchanan is a Master Woodworker. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Tiger Maple (also called Curly Maple) is unique to America, and typically is rarely seen outside of New England. It only grows in VT, NH, upstate NY, parts of Maine and southern Ontario. It requires board-matching by hand and also a particular finish method to show the stripe effect. For that reason, its ill-suited to production furniture and when companies try to do it, they find out quickly they can't get the right look and its not worth the trouble. For that reason it remains in the hands of the small workshop where they can pay attention to detail rather than run through a production line.
    Duane,
    I looked around some & found several period antiques that feature the look I have in mind, tho they're not in the woods or finishes I'm wanting:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMF_W81_16A22_01_v2_z.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	8699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1814032_l.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mon3048.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	8701

These 3 chests are what I'm thinking of(tapered leg with brass sabots, Regency/Directoire era details, scale, etc.) I love John's use of the walnut veneers on Kevin's demilune & def would like crossbanding in the drawers. If it's more economical to use maple as the base wood over mahogany or walnut, I'd prob do that.

I like the finishes of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	494653_b06b1038-8cb2-4631-925b-52274198ff9a_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	8702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06427 COM-1024x960.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	8703  

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Yes, Sinker Cypress is the cypress that's fallen into the swamps & bayous & been there for God knows how many years! The water actually enhances the wood's grain & character...but, somebody's gotta go in there & figure a way to get it outta the water. It can be dangerous, considering all the critters in those waters

It's pretty rare too, since shows like History Channel's Ax Men showcased, & now everybody's trying to retrieve all the Sinker Cypress. If you can still find some & it's useable, it'll cost ya...I've seen live edge Sinker Cypress dining tables going for $12,000!! Beautiful wood tho; it's kinda like our version of New England's prized Tiger Maple
    Oh, yes, my Mammaw and Pappaw kept the rifle and pistol nearby because of the gators and cottonmouths. I clearly remember the times they had to use those guns. Their backyard was at times, quite the danger zone! And, sometimes just thinking about all the times we went water skiing in that...Yikes!

TXCajun