Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Leather Choices and My Growing Family.

Default Re: Leather Choices and My Growing Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Oh, and the movers will be arriving the third week of June. We will see our things again, (God willing that it all makes it there and does not end up on the bottm of the Pacific ocean), mid August. We will be in Hawaii for exactly two years, then back to the mainland somewhere for about 3 years... Then we would loooove a european tour...we shall see. So far we have been in 5 homes in 8 years... This next home will be our 6th! On the household goods inventory that the movers fill out with all of the box and furniture tag numbers and descriptions, there is a special section for high value items where I would have to write down this sofa and its monetary value so that if it is damaged or lost, it can be fixed or replaced... Something this expensive otherwise would not be covered under their policy. In our last move (from hawaii to florida), we had SO many things broken by careless movers. It was sickening. The moving company reimbursed us the money of the paid value of all of the broken items, but some things, like my grandmother's antique washstand that was if great sentimental value to me, cannot be replaced... They dropped and irrepairably broke both pieces of it literally right off of the truck two times in a row right in front of me. Well life goes on anyway... I cant take any of my things to heaven anyway!
    Oh, yes, I completely understand about the whole movers-destroying-family-pieces thing. So sorry that your washstand couldn't be repaired. That's pretty bad!

TXCajun

I love that! Using salvaged materials is much like the enduring Texas spirit! I bet it will all be fabulous. I hope you will post photos of it all. Have you watched Fixer Upper? I love that show. Joanna has such great taste and does amazing things in the homes she takes on. The product is always "Texan" to me. I like the rustic and reclaimed items she includes within the mix of more polished decor. I dream of building our own home some day back in that great state, but the Lord knows me best and is keeping me humble right now... It is easy for me to take my eyes off of my Savior and start to love the "things" he has blessed me with too much! Isaiah chapter 55... He satisfies my soul!
    Yes, just recently, a friend told me I needed to watch Fixer Upper. I don't know how I had missed such a fun show!

TXCajun

And thank you, jake8 . Half a sectional... Yep lol! Funny how we do deliberate for hours and hours over nail and wood finishes. In the end it really does not even matter THAT much because you arent going to have your expensive sofa sitting in bright sunlight to examine and critique the differences in nail, hide, and wood color. I ended up having to keep the dark oak finish I originally selected, and I love it! It's a warm chocolate. I cant wit to see how your wood turns out! I'm so glad I wa able to help!

Andrea, nail selection is 100% your own taste and opinion for your piece with how much you want it to pop... I don't believe a nail can clash! I *personally* like the CC carpenter nail with the java leather because I dont think any other nail would have shown up much, other than the more outspoken ones such as the brassy one or the really shiny nickel nail. I wasn't paying extra money to add nails to accentuate my piece for them not to even be noticeable. CC is not very shiny. It is pretty dull with a little shine. Just get whatever you like.
    Savannah,

They aren't all that shiny, really. I just was assuming they were a small, aged brass nail like your standard upholstery nail, purely going off photos on H&M's site.

You're right in that there def are some other choices that are more showy & flashy. That wouldn't be for me & for this piece. It'd be just to serve its functional & slightly(LOL) decorative needs on the Parisian. Thanks tho for your description & now that I'm looking at them again, they're growing on me

Everyone keeps mentioning Duane's nail post, but I'm not finding it & I've looked nearly everywhere. Where is it?? Lol, I hope I'm not being a complete idiot & it'll have been right there, under my nose this whole time!

Nail board is here, click the photo 3x for hi-res

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...l-Trim-Options
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

West Express has a truly excellent leather restoration person for small damages in transit. They have Savannah's piece ready to go back and sent me this photo of the restored area this morning. It looks good to me and should ship back next week. Yes, its a headache to have to wait for the restoration cycle, however it always works out well in the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-08-2016 003 (1).jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	8428
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    West Express has a truly excellent leather restoration person for small damages in transit. They have Savannah's piece ready to go back and sent me this photo of the restored area this morning. It looks good to me and should ship back next week. Yes, its a headache to have to wait for the restoration cycle, however it always works out well in the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-08-2016 003 (1).jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	8428
    I honestly would have felt better had they just replaced the leather panel since we do a lot of moving, BUT I know this was faster... And certainly less costly and less of a headache for everyone. Their photos were so blurry! It was nice to them to send some, though. That one pic might be the clearest, thanks... Hopefully the darker spot where they worked on it blends into the overall look with it being a pull up with areas of high and low. We shall see... Tuesday morning it will be back again. It was a quick restoration, the majority of the waiting is because of waiting for the truck to come back. Still a few weeks isn't bad. Here's to hoping they got it into and can get it off of the truck without any more damage this time ! My family is here visiting from Texas, and my father-in-law law has been napping on my half-a-sectional... I would love to have the other half so I can lounge on it too lol! I love curling up on it!

Panel replacement is a major headache and would take a 6-to 8 week cycle, assuming they can get a panel to match from existing leather stock. The logistics behind a panel replacement are complex and wait time is uncomfortable. This really is the best option as long as you are satisfied with the way it looks. A good leather restoration person can do a very nice job on a panel. I will say most people will tend to focus on a repaired area like a laser-beam, and if so can often detect some shading or similar. Best to look at it in the overall view of the piece from a cosmetic standpoint. Don't accept a substandard job, however know that no repair is 100%, most the time 99% is going to work.
    Duane Collie

Talking Re: Leather Choices and My Growing Family.

I haven't had a chance to update y'all. We accepted the repaired part of our sectional. I am not crazy about the darker spot they created while repairing it since it is pretty large, considering the original damage was only around an inch big, though. It is seamless, just darker.

We are VERY happy with our York sectional. I am absolutely loving the low arms-- it really opens up the room even though the piece all together is large. It really makes my living room look more spacious, which is surprising considering the sectional is 124x124. It's very comfortable, and we are enjoying lounging on it! Oh and btw, my 6' husband actually canNOT be feet flat on floor while sitting all the way back, his feet come a few inches short. He likes to lounge curled up anyway, and there is plenty of room for his legs to do so. He really is loving being about to sprawl out too!

I haven't had a chance to update y'all. We accepted the repaired part of our sectional. I am not crazy about the darker spot they created while repairing it since it is pretty large, considering the original damage was only around an inch big, though. It is seamless, just darker.

We are VERY happy with our York sectional. I am absolutely loving the low arms-- it really opens up the room even though the piece all together is large. It really makes my living room look more spacious, which is surprising considering the sectional is 124x124. It's very comfortable, and we are enjoying lounging on it! Oh and btw, my 6' husband actually canNOT be feet flat on floor while sitting all the way back, his feet come a few inches short. He likes to lounge curled up anyway, and there is plenty of room for his legs to do so. He really is loving being about to sprawl out too!
    There you are, Savannah! Have y'all made the move, yet? (I can't remember the date you mentioned, and I'm too lazy to go back and read through the entire thread.)

Thanks for the update. I know you're sort of bummed about the repair job, but it sounds like the positives more than make up for that. Now that you have the full sectional, and if you can find some time, would you post some new photos? I would love seeing your new sofa in all its glory!

TXCajun

Savannah,
    You said it's a pull up leather, correct? Is there anyway of maybe massaging, or stretching out that darker area so it'll "pull up" & lighten without compromising that part of the sectional's appearance? I.e. you don't wanna pull it too hard & loosen up that back panel