Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the H&M Harbison Recliner the right chair?

karlos Guest

I have to reply I think you are right , I have to note the leather in Bmw seats is tough compared to the japanese cars that start cracking and ripping in 5 years...?

Japanese car leather is THE WORST. I think its made of the same stuff as Nike Tennis shoes from China. Its simply painted leather.

BMW Leather is better, but the germans don't use very good quality hides either. The best leather interiors, other than the high-line luxury exotic such as Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin is in American cars! Some of the leathers in Cadillac's are decent.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Japanese car leather is THE WORST. I think its made of the same stuff as Nike Tennis shoes from China. Its simply painted leather.

BMW Leather is better, but the germans don't use very good quality hides either. The best leather interiors, other than the high-line luxury exotic such as Rolls, Bentley, Aston Martin is in American cars! Some of the leathers in Cadillac's are decent.
    I know a few years ago I was researching getting a leather kit for my cars interior, the one company offering a group buy claimed to be the domestic oem for some of the German car makers. I didn't do the deal so can't comment on quality of the leather.

I have cloth in my current ride again because the leather version left me feeling it was too much like Vinyl.

Very well could be. BMW X5's and Z3's/Z4's have been made in Spartanburg NC since they came to market. (Z4 production is going back to Europe with the 2010 model). Would make sense to have USA supplier for vehicles made in NC.
    Duane Collie

jchrestman Guest

Default Back to the Harbison Reliner,but first....

Yeah, I like cars and motorcycles too. Fell in love with Formula 1 in the late 60's early 70's when Jackie Stewart was 'King of the Road'. Usually only Monaco was televised back then or maybe a US Grand Prix, if we had one. Motorcycles.....MotoGP, the 'big boys' although FIM is getting close. Love that stuff and with the miniaturization of video cameras the shots you get from both the F1 cars and bikes are astounding. You really begin to get a sense of the speed and razor's edge control attained by man and machine. I was fortunate enough 4 or 5 years ago to be in Melbourne when the brother of a close friend working for a large telecommunications company had his clients bow out and we were able to attend the season opening F1 race. The 'room' was second story, extending to nearly the edge of the track, about 100 yards past the start/finish line, and just past pit exit, white table clothes, breakfast and lunch served, open bar ALL day, with servers in attendance the entire time. One of those 'in my life I would like to do' items.....checked off. I grew up going to the drags when top times were around 130mph if they could get the thing fired. No guard rail no fence just cars parked along the sides of the 1/4 mile. Never been behind the wheel of anything but a 'vanilla' street car, but damn I love the speed and the people behind and in/on them. No matter, football was my thing. Eighteen, 6'3", 235lb doesn't lend itself to slipping into a racing vehicle, even 41 years ago. By the way Aston Martin had a good showing at this years Le Mans and sometimes that begins to translate to showroom costs, so start squeezing those pennies boys.

OK, this is a furniture forum.

If you could help me with this Duane and I hope you're busy, so when you can. Are you able to identify the leather on H&M's website items:
    1296 (There was another chair/ottoman similar to this but the color seemed almost a black/ebony and 'distressed' and I can't find it. It was not a solid 'finished' black (class 1 or 2).)?

More questions. What's with the Imperial burnished leather? More specifically the Imperial Natural. I have read what you have written about burnishing and the application of glaze but is this clear or dark or a specific color or? Ultimately I like a smooth (not pebbly) soft and supple leather ( mostly classes 3 and 4) and I somewhat like a glossy (some might say shiny) look to the leather. Also, at this point I like the look of the leather on #4563 because it really doesn't look colored....just natural and glossy and maybe a little distressed. I use a lot of these adjectives and know they can easily be 'lost in translation'. So stick with me....ultimately this will be hashed out over the phone and with samples. Anyway I'm running out of steam and this post is running too long.

ANYONE who wants to chime in on any of this please do. Comments, opinions, and questions are all welcome.

Regards,
    John

I've been enamored with cars and motorcycles since I was a pup. I have no clue how I wound up first in the grocery business, and then later in furniture, but I should be working for Porsche or BMW <g>

John, do yourself a favor. Get into a Formula 2000 car one day and try it out. You will flip - it will make you feel like a 15-year-old and you will get to experience the F1 'feel' though at about 1/8 the horsepower. Believe me when I tell you that there's enough power in that Ford Pinto engine behind your head to give you as many thrills as the Roller Coaster at Six Flags. A bunch of pals and I routinely rent track days from Bertil Roos with their cars and we have the BEST time. Once you drive one of these, even a Porsche Turbo seems clunky. And you're not too large, one of my buds is 6'6" and 290 and we wedge him in there. The oldest in our group has been 67, and he was grinning ear to ear when he came out. You actually lay down in these cars, and the steering is so accurate that with no fenders to obscure your view you can put the front tire right on the a spec of gravel in a corner if you want. I used to take my BMWs to the track, but after driving Formula cars I'm ruined. Absolutely the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

http://www.racenow.com/b02b_one.htm

Back to furniture.....

The # 4563 leather shown on the website is Mesquite Saddle, Grade 2. Looks very nice, but I will tell you that it 'surface scratches" if you just look hard at it, so you have to like that effect. Has a nice sheen to it.

# 1296 is in Pecos Chestnut, Grade 2. Not as dark on the sample as you seen in the web photo, and it too is a 'scratcher' with good sheen on it.

Both those leathers will get a 'worn' look to them quickly because of the way they are designed to show marks. They are both smooth, but I'd not classify them as particularly supple. You definitely get the feel of a topcoat on them. Most customers do not like the way these 'scratch' so you'd want to get samples and try them out yourself before ordering.

Burnished leather is simply a lighter crust hide that is glazed at H&M after the piece has been made. The effects are great to look at, but all Burnished and Antiqued leathers are not as soft and supple once they undergo that treatment.

Look at Antelope and Luggage, both grade 3 hides. I think from what you described these might be just what you want.
    Duane Collie

jchrestman Guest

Default Talking leather for the Harbison Reciner.....sort of

Duane,
    Thanks for your input. Don't think you'll be getting me into anything racy. My stats were from when I was eighteen. As a sophomore in college I had a cord injury playing football against Tennessee and since then a number of head and back injuries. I expect you may relate to some of that riding and driving as you have. At this point it's a chore to get into my wife's Accord passenger side.....forget getting behind the wheel. Still 6'3" but the rest of the body is a different animal, considerably lighter and much more fragile.....went from 19 yrs old in '68 to feeling 65 in an instant. Now I feel about 90 and just happy to still be upright. Believe it or not my ride is an '89 4x4 Suburban with a 1 ton front and rear end and 3/4 ton suspension. A US Forestry truck we bought in about '96 or '97 and it had only about 10,000 mi per year on it. Serious truck, HORRIBLE gas mileage. It is absolutely hilarious to watch me getting in and out of the pecker. Up until a couple years ago I had an '85/'86 4x4 Jeep Cherokee with a 4 cylinder turbo-charged diesel. 20 gallon gas tank and almost 30 miles to the gallon.....loved that truck. Engine was an overrun of diesel engines Renault was providing for some NATO Jeeps so they took a few and along with a German transmission tossed them into some Cherokees (remember Renault owned half of Jeep back then). As time went by parts became hard to come by or had to be jury-rigged until it was becoming just too difficult to find someone that wanted to touch it let alone actually do the work. It was still running and I gave it to a friend with a small ranch. Most favorite ride I have ever owned.

For not being a car guy I sure blow a lot of smoke....oh well, we are recliner bound and talking leather.

Per your post, nothing in the Antelope line on the H&M site 'speaks' to me. In Luggage, Meerschaum and Russet look interesting, but I would definitely have to see a piece of the actual hide going on the chair. Don't worry we are not to that point yet. I keep coming back to Equestrian even though it may not fit the general leather criteria I laid out. I am intrigued by some of the colors and the selection is large. I am interested in some color variation that is due to the hide and not something done purposely. After having said that I still do find the two Luggage colors I mentioned above intriguing. Also I continue to imagine a contrasting welt on the chair, but that is a consideration that would come after selecting a base leather.

I will continue to seek out what you and others have written/photographed on this forum regarding leather. Thanks again.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jchrestman; 06-20-2009 at 12:41 AM.

jchrestman Guest

Duane,
    If we pull this off right I am hoping to get my wife into a smallish quality leather couch to replace the fabric chair and half she has now. I think she does not yet realize the true lounging experience good leather will afford her. Wish me luck.
    Regards,
    John

jchrestman Guest

Default Duane, the leather swatches from H&M arrived today

I definitely liked the Equestrian, Capri, and Montana. Of course they're grade 3 and 4 leathers. After looking the samples over I realize I like the matte or flatter appearance (a little glossy isn't bad) better than a shiny/glossy one, am not bothered by some 'pebblyness', am inclined to stay away from a leather that scratches too easily (it's not an issue with me but I think it would be with my wife), and am frightened by burnishing because you just don't know what the final result will be. I know that's a one-eighty from previous comments but seeing and feeling the leather is an eye-opener. I liked the Capri Butternut, the Equestrian Desert, and the handle but not the color of the Montana Harness.

Can you tell me the origin/source of Equestrian, Montana, and any other leathers that might come to mind based on the quote below and anything I've said in this post? Big question but I will defer to your opinions, experience, and knowledge so we don't get too carried away.

Also, after reading and rereading ad infinitum posts on this site let me quote part of an older one:

"I have a good customer in Maryland that has a real brood....six rowdy boys, and a girl. Seven kids in all. He only buys Serviceability 3 hides that are pure anilines and loves the way they look after they're 'broken in' as he tells me. "Like a baseball glove that's played a few games" he tells me. He would never buy a finished hide piece."

I feel similarly, particularly when I think of the Wilson A2000 baseball glove my Dad bought me when I was 14. Though I readily admit the Equestrian is very appealing despite being a serviceability of 2.

You earlier provided me a quote for grade 3 leather for the 7007 Harbison Recliner. Would you please give me a quote for grade 4 leather on this same item. I doubt shipping has changed much, but just in case, my zip is 92107.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,
    John

Hey John,

So my picks were not too bad? I tried to give you a range of leathers, and put some Grade IV's in the group because you mentioned you really wanted a WOW leather for your wife to relax in.

Between your three top choices:

Equestrian is the most durable. Its thicker, has a slight pebble effect to it, soft and looks and feels plainly elegant when made up. Italian.

Capri is richer. A German hide that comes from the same tannery as Quintessence (less durable) and Antelope (more durable). Has a shaded look to it, and very soft with the feel of luxury. If you were to walk in my store you would find three recliners and two sofas on the floor in this leather, thats how much I like it.

Montana would be the marriage of Capri and Equestrian. Its very soft (not many color choices) and thick. Does not have any shading or 'special effects' to it to speak of. I am not sure the country of origin of this hide, but its far too nice to come out of the Pacific Rim or South America. Without calling, I would guess USA/Canada or European.

No change in any shipping quotes or fuel surcharges.

Grade III is $ 2,387, Grade IV is $ 2,673

You can't really go wrong with any of them. If you tend to bring a lot of snacks, food and drink to the chair, then I'd go with Equestrian as thats going to give you the best stain resistance of the three.

Thanks John!
    Duane Collie