Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattresses

buckheaddon Guest

Default Re: Latex vs Memory Foam Mattresses

Pstein,
    I have a pretty high opinion of OMF. I think they have excellent value, and the shopping experience there is pretty good with no high pressure sales people. I knew they had discontinued their pure latex bed, and their Serenity Latex offering didn't have quite the setup I was looking for.

You're spot on about latex mattresses being heavy. I would go further and say they're insanely heavy. The guys that delivered my mattress worked for a local company who moves mostly latex mattresses, but they were still struggling to manhandle the thing to my house and bedroom. The combined weight, flexibility, and relatively compliant edges make latex hard to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by pstein15 View Post
    Our source is The Original Mattress Factory. Check their website. They no longer sell the pure latex. The model they now have is Serenity. They have 3 Serenity models. The Serenity latex is the flippable one. Don't know how the pull handles stay on, with the weight of the mattress.

Bustardsfather Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MollyDoris View Post
    Any thoughts on latex vs. memory foam? They both feel about the same when I test them in the store. I thought memory foam is supposed to be heavier, firmer, more supportive than latex mattresses. But is it true?
    Latex mattress just like this one: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...LI&searchidx=0
    Memory foam mattress: http://www.langria.com/10-inch-essen...-mattress.html

Any thoughts from the masses?
    There is no doubt that it's a self promotion.

Les_Garten Guest

My first post here, great Forum.

I "built" a bed out of Pure Latex about 5 years ago for my wife. It's a Queen.

There are forums out there that will advise you how to do it. I bought most of it from Foam By Mail

I read enough threads top figure out the firmness for the core and then the varios topper layers.

Mine is about 14" thick.

It cost somewhere around $800-$900 6 years ago.

It would have cost thousands to buy one like it from someone like Prana Sleep

I found a Temperpedic base on Cragslist for $100

It is the best mattress I have ever been near and I am totally sold on Latex

It is supposed to last forever.

It is VERY heavy to move.

Will not own another Select Comfort, conventional mattress, or Memory Foam.