Thread: Bradington Young # 463-85 Kirby Settee in leather 9593-96

Default Bradington Young # 463-85 Kirby Settee in leather 9593-96

Here's a quaint settee that is done in the highest grade (6) B-Y leather, a black Italian Pull-up hide. This customer has a small weekend cottage in Middleburg VA that is very tight on space, and in fact we had to remove the front legs to get it through the 32" main front doorway. This is one of the best leathers from B-Y, but it is NOT for everyone. If you don't understand and appreciate what a pull-up leather is and how it responds to pressure marks, then you will not like the 'scratches' on it during production. I have done one close up photo to show you what that looks like. But for those that DO understand it, a great piece - she was thrilled with it when we delivered it today. I thought it looked a little 'dry' when we unpacked it and went over the whole piece with leather conditioner prior to delivery (and taking the photos) so its a little more 'wet' looking that you would likely get a piece when ordering one.

The tufting work has improved considerably at Bradington Young over what I have seen say .. 10 years ago. They have good pattern lineup on the 'diamonds' and button set depth is decent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	8177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	8178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	8179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	8180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	8181
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-20-2016 at 04:46 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Bradington Young # 463-85 Kirby Settee in leather 9593-96

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Here's a quaint settee that is done in the highest grade (6) B-Y leather, a black Italian Pull-up hide. This customer has a small weekend cottage in Middleburg VA that is very tight on space, and in fact we had to remove the front legs to get it through the 32" main front doorway. This is one of the best leathers from B-Y, but it is NOT for everyone. If you don't understand and appreciate what a pull-up leather is and how it responds to pressure marks, then you will not like the 'scratches' on it during production. I have done one close up photo to show you what that looks like. But for those that DO understand it, a great piece - she was thrilled with it when we delivered it today. I thought it looked a little 'dry' when we unpacked it and went over the whole piece with leather conditioner prior to delivery (and taking the photos) so its a little more 'wet' looking that you would likely get a piece when ordering one.

The tufting work has improved considerably at Bradington Young over what I have seen say .. 10 years ago. They have good pattern lineup on the 'diamonds' and button set depth is decent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	8177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	8178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	719 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	8179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	8180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0014.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	8181
    Of all the B&Y pure aniline leather samples I've received(everything from Gr1-Gr6,) the 9593- series is my absolute favorite. It's so soft & pliable, almost as if it were nothing more than a leather sheet! Lol

It does have a very dramatic pull up effect, but I happen to love that & it's really evident here on the backs & sides of this settee. The other anilines, even just a grade or 2 down don't come close to the softness & drape the 9593- leathers have.

Any "scratches" that show up on this leather have been easily rubbed out just using my fingers. Even if you may not like the "scratches," just know that they can easily be conditioned & buffed out immediately. It's really a beautiful leather & I think the best in B&Y's lineup.

If you can't tolerate the pressure marks in a nice Italian Pull-up, then its not the leather for you. Don't buy it with the intention of 'rubbing out' the pressure marks - select a different leather. A Pull-Up hide is for a seasoned and sophisticated leather consumer that understands and appreciates what it is. If I can present an analogy....

Let's say someone is used to Kraft Macaroni and Cheese out of the box and that's what they have had all their life. Then a plate of homemade Mac N' Cheese made with real cheddar and al dente' pasta is put in front of them. They won't like it, because they are used to powered cheese and mushy noodles. Think of a basic Finished leather as that Kraft product, and a nice Italian Pull-up as that homemade 'real' mac n' cheese.
    Duane Collie

Jenny Guest

I feel silly but I still don't understand what a pull up leather is. I tried to zoom in on the settee but I am not seeing it. Does it refer to that waxy finish that I've seen on some gr5-6 leathers that marks easily with each and every soft scratch?

Read the thread : LEATHER> A PRIMER IN LEATHER
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I feel silly but I still don't understand what a pull up leather is. I tried to zoom in on the settee but I am not seeing it. Does it refer to that waxy finish that I've seen on some gr5-6 leathers that marks easily with each and every soft scratch?
    Jenny, the way I understand a pull up to be & you'll see it evident on this settee: the back & sides, & really anywhere the leather has been pulled taught it appears lighter. Some pull ups are mild & only display a little of these color bursts. Some, like the 9593 leathers, will show a higher degree of a color burst. Keep in mind, I'm solely basing this on my sample of the 9593-88, which is a dark brown. This settee is in 9593-96 which is black. If you look at the hi-res larger images, you'll see what I'm referring to.

Do you see how the backs & sides of the settee this black leather looks lighter than in other areas? The lower back corners on the settee's left-hand side almostappear grey: that's the color burst effect of a pull up.

When it's pulled(in any direction: not just up,) it lightens in tone. With my 9593-88 sample, I peeled off the B&Y description label on the back & really worked it: I pulled at it in all directions, bent it, rolled it up, etc. Firstly, I noticed how easy it was to work with: it's an extremely soft leather with a beautiful drape to it. Secondly, in those areas of stress(the creases where it was stretched, bent & rolled,) it lightened up, but as soon as I relaxed the sample, the color burst faded. It's not supposed to be permanent.

From what I understand, it's the waxes the tannery rubs onto the hide that creates this pull up effect. I don't know how exactly,(I'm not a chemist LOL.)

I personally prefer a wax pull up leather to a leather that's been made to look like a pull up that's been really stressed, i.e. worn. Just from what I've seen so far, which granted is probably only a 1/4 of B&Y's entire leather lineup. A good aniline pull up will take on an "old bomber jacket" look within a few years. I personally, think it's worth being patient those few years to attain that authentic, lived-in look rather than opting for a brand-new leather made to look similarly. I've yet to see one that has an authentic look to it. They've all been too distressed, or overly processed & finished looking.

Hope that helps explain it a little, in layman's terms

"A Primer In Leather" will explain it all in more detail. It's a good bit of knowledge to have

Jenny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Do you see how the backs & sides of the settee this black leather looks lighter than in other areas? The lower back corners on the settee's left-hand side almostappear grey: that's the color burst effect of a pull up.

I personally prefer a wax pull up leather to a leather that's been made to look like a pull up that's been really stressed, i.e. worn. Just from what I've seen so far, which granted is probably only a 1/4 of B&Y's entire leather lineup. A good aniline pull up will take on an "old bomber jacket" look within a few years. I personally, think it's worth being patient those few years to attain that authentic, lived-in look rather than opting for a brand-new leather made to look similarly. I've yet to see one that has an authentic look to it. They've all been too distressed, or overly processed & finished looking.
    So that's what it was. I kept reading the descriptions, but I just couldn't see it and assumed the coloring differences were just a photography thing or maybe fading due to sun (okay, not sure what I was thinking there since it's clearly new). But now that you point it out specifically, I see it now. I think you and I have similar tastes - I love that waxy look that tracks every scratch so you end up with a lovely, character piece. Re: pull-ups - I'm not at the mature leather connoisseur stage yet, but it's good to know what it is now (high quality, not some weird color defect)

Mac33 Guest

Is the BY Armando line available only as a sectional or is it available as sofa and chairs?

The # 930 Armando series does come with all the usual sectional components, and even chaises.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    So that's what it was. I kept reading the descriptions, but I just couldn't see it and assumed the coloring differences were just a photography thing or maybe fading due to sun (okay, not sure what I was thinking there since it's clearly new). But now that you point it out specifically, I see it now. I think you and I have similar tastes - I love that waxy look that tracks every scratch so you end up with a lovely, character piece. Re: pull-ups - I'm not at the mature leather connoisseur stage yet, but it's good to know what it is now (high quality, not some weird color defect)
    Lol, well I'm not a leather connoisseur either, but I do own some high quality leather handbags & shoes...& I personally love the slightly pebbled look of my BMW's leather interior. Over the years, I've just come to appreciate certain leathers & dislike others.

An example: a lot of Prada bags are done in Saffiano leather. You can find it on everything from Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Tory Burch, etc all the way up to an Hermes Birkin bag! I can't stand Saffiano leather. It looks too processed, with its stamped/impregnated pattern. I'd never buy a $1,000+ bag in that leather. I'd go for goat skin, or calf leather personally. Most of my bags are Louis Vuitton & I do have their Epi leather drawstring bag. That leather is on the thicker side & is embossed with a subtle wave pattern. But, it's a very good leather & that bag is 18 years old now & still looks not more than a year old.

Saffiano's texture & appearance are not even in the same league. Now, I know there's probably good Saffiano leathers & bad Saffiano leathers...but, they all look cheap to me.

Regarding my various samples of B&Y's leathers, ranging from a Gr1 aniline leather to the Gr6 9593 aniline; there's a marked difference in their hand. With the lower grade leathers being stiffer & not as easy to work. As well as their surface grain. The 9593 is just silky smooth to the touch & it moved easily(even tho its sample was no thicker than my other samples,) it felt significantly thinner & less stiff. I'd love it in this black on a weekender duffle bag
    Last edited by Asomer; 05-01-2016 at 11:23 PM.