Thread: Need help identifying desk and some refinishing suggestions please

bebez Guest

Default Need help identifying desk and some refinishing suggestions please

I just purchased this desk from Offerup and was wondering if anyone could give me some info about it, age, maker? I assumed it was older, perhaps 60's because of the legs but I'm not sure. The bottom part is a nice wood and could easily be lightly sanded and refinished. But the top is a veneer that is very "plastic" like and I was wondering if it would be possible to lightly sand an refinish. Any suggestions, info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am trying to attach the photos but it keeps indicating that the files are too large no matter what I do to them. If its possible anyone want to help me I can send the photos to them?

I figured I would put on imgur here is a link, hopefully it can be accessed.

http://imgur.com/a/cHE8q
    Last edited by bebez; 02-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: Need help identifying desk and some refinishing suggestions please

The top on that desk is a formica-like product and not suitable for refinishing. If that were my desk, I'd detach that top and toss it in the trash, and have real wood top made. Strip and refinish the base and you're good to go.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bebez Guest

Hello drcollie,

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I agree with you. I took some sandpaper to it in the corner and confirmed to myself what you said. However I am on budget on both time and money and was thinking what if I cover the top with faux ( nice faux not gaudy) plain, matte leather .. no padding. and refinish the bottom?? But if I do have a real wood top any wood in particular that you recommend. I also was wondering after staining. I've already started sanding the base. What would be a good finish? I don't like the shiny look of polyurethane. I just like the soft, warm glow of wood. Thanks again.

bebez Guest

I meant I sanded the top before I saw your post.

You will have to chemically strip the finish, sanding will take too much material off.

A faux leather, or even real leather top will fail. You won't be able to pull it tight enough and it will eventually puddle. You see leather inserts, not entire tops covered with it. Maple tops are best, they are the least expensive hardwood and can be stained most any color. The best finish is an aniline dyed one, built up with Shellac and then a final thin coat of Poly. Too much to type it all out here right now....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.