Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood finishes

Default Re: Wood finishes

Hi, Duane.

If that's what Savannah wants to do, I am happy to ship directly to her. Easy-peasy!

TXCajun

Piney woods born and raised girl here... Oh how I miss the huge pines, towering oaks, oil pumps humming away, pastures, and shady oil top roads through God's country! I married "into the military", so we are all over the place now. Headed to Hawaii next for a few years.

Ok, my heart says oiled mahogany sounds just right, but my brain is still struggling wanting to make sure a non-distressed normandy is not what I want instead. It would help if I could compare it to my existing furniture and see it with my leather choice. I might take you up on the wood ring offer, but I really dont want to spend more money right now... Duane, do you know how much the shipping is for that and the nails? And how much time I have left to decide?? I dont want to hold up the production AT ALL!!!

Which of the two would you say best matches this (sorry not my own photo, so it may be blurry...I saved and cropped)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8232

Savannah, please thank your husband for me. I greatly appreciate his service and sacrifice.

The picture, as I can view it, seems to suggest gold undertones in some places. Have you viewed the H&M website wood finish photos? I know nothing beats having the samples in hand, but those photos do a pretty good job representing the colors...at least on my monitor. If you haven't, take a look and post what you think you see.

Also, to my untrained eye, I say the Mahogany, Oiled Mahogany, and Normandy are not glaringly different. Of the three finalists I was considering, it was the same thing. They were fairly similar, therefore not an easy decision. Realistically, my husband and I could have put those three in a sack, shaken, pulled one out, declared it the winner, and would have been thrilled with the final product! But, I completely relate to your desire to get it just right.

TXCajun

Hm, now that you mention it, I think that does lean golden, and my woods do too. We build most of our furniture, and I do all the finishing, and I always mix up a stain concotion that is "just right" and finish with shellac . I just hope normandy isn't too dark-- Does the grain still show up on it? You're so right about picking one out of the bag lol.

And thank you for your appreciation!!!

The Normandy sample does still show some grain. It's a tight grain, but does show. Is that what you'd originally ordered?

I wonder about the wood grain-- I thought all the legs were made of maple, so the grain should be the same???

No, I originally ordered dark oak. Upon further inspection, I decided it might be too light and too orange-toned.

Oh! The Dark Oak is very handsome! All of your selections are good-looking. I know your head is spinning with choices. Been there...done that. Try to defer to Duane's suggestion that with the sofa you selected, there isn't much leg/wood showing. It seems you've hit the sweet spot with the wood finishes you're considering.

Oh and yes, I have been looking at the wood finish photos on hancock and moore's website and the photos in their e-catalog side by side, as well as googling photos of pieces made up of these to compare as best I could. Normandy looks so dark in the few photos I was able to dig up on pieces indoors that I couldnt tell much about it. I "think" there might be a better color representation of the finishes in their e-catalog??? Pages 13-16. What do you think? I appreciate this help so, so much!!! http://www.hancockandmoore.com/ecatalog/index.html#17

It is??! Lol, Im going to lose my mind now . Maybe I should just get the samples...