Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood finishes

Default Re: Wood finishes

I know it's making you batty. I am happy to quick-ship the samples. It would put your mind at ease and that's worth a lot, right?

Haha, yes "batty" about describes it! I actually do think the York's legs will be clearly seen; they help complete the look of that sofa... And there are a lot of them on a sectional. They are tapered and look to be about 4" tall. How big of a pkg would all that need to fit in?

Savannah,

I just returned from the post office. The box of samples should arrive at your place, tomorrow, likely after 3:00 p.m., but don't hold me to that! The box is not big...approximately 12"x12"x5". It does weigh a bit, but not anvil heavy. More like filled with a few books heavy. I'll PM you with more details regarding how you'll ship it back to Duane.

Happy sampling!

TXCajun

Yippee!!! Thanks a million!!

Hey, Savannah.

Now that you have those samples, what are you thinking about your original wood finish candidates? Please, remind me as to your leather selection, as well.

TXCajun

Hi!

The samples are so nice to have! I will share my findings!

Belgian Chocolate is beautiful, it's a warm brown with a yellow undertone and a finish so clear that the grain pops no matter what angle the wood is at. If you cannot afford this premium finish but want that warm chocolate brown colorway, consider Dark Oak or Mesa.

Dark Oak is very similar to Belgian Chocolate, but it lacks the some of the darker tones. It has a nice finish. Very pretty.

Mesa is nearly identical to Belgian Chocolate and has a beautiful shine, though it is not as shiny as the ultra finished BC. It also come standard with distressing marks. Without distressing, Mesa could be BC's sibling. Loved it the second I saw the sample.

Normandy surprised me. I thought it was going to be a warm brown, but instead it looks like the cousin to walnut, just verrrrry slightly more yellow undertoned.

Espresso, java, walnut looked like the photo listings on h&ms website... No red or yellow undertones for warmth, just dark/dark dark browns sort of in the black family. Java looks painted and is almost black , zero grain whatsoever.

Mahogany- beautiful. Slightly reddish. Not red like cherry wood red, though.

Distressed mahogany- beautiful. Slightly more yellow warm and less red. Still cannot figure out what is distressed about it... No dents... Maybe it is because of the tiny darker stain flecks? Luxorious shine.

Oiled Mahogany- warmer (in the yellow family) than all of the mahoganies. No shine at all really... Has a matte finish as if there is opague sheet on top when the light hits it from an angle. Darker streaks. Close to distressed mahogany but a little darker and with a dull finish. Really love it with tiburon java. I do wish it has a little shine in the finish, though.

As I was comparing the samples of wood in our home that I have finished myself in my preferred stains, I discovered matches to both Mesa and Oiled Mahogany. I like them both apparently! Then I compared the two to my hide, Tiburon Java. Tiburon Java is funny because the tone of it changes so much as it is manipulated and how the light is hitting it. One second the warm chocolate Mesa looks perfect, especially with the hide's caramelly/ tan colorbursts , the next second Mesa looks a touch too yellow for it (if I was trying to match) and the Oiled Mahogany is perfect. Most of the time, the Oiled Mahogany looks like a match to the Tiburon Java leather. I did not initially think I wanted the hide to match the legs, but I think it will give it a more streamlined appearance. I still love Mesa minus distressing, but I THINK I may go with Oiled Mahogany, but I'm not quite sure yet.
    Tiburon java with oiled mahogany:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	8236

Views:	269 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	8237

Tiburon java with Mesa. See how it matches the warmth when I colorburst it from behind:

Views:	295 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	8238

With oiled mahogany left, mesa right:

Views:	287 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	8239

As you can see, Tiburon Java really changes with lighting and angles. This is a hard decision!!!
    Last edited by Savannah; 03-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.

I will be mailing the samples back on Monday I am happy to compare and/or take photos of wood finishes for anyone having a hard time deciding as time permits this weekend .

Savannah,

Your detailed observations and photos are excellent! That is very helpful. I'm sure this is an oversimplification, but it seems to me that there are two basic kinds of people with regards to making these selections: one-and-done people and ponderers. In this arena, my house is divided. My husband is a one-and-done. I am very much a ponderer. So, I go looking for descriptions, photos, advice, and so forth. You hit the nail on the head with your post! It's in line with the posts with leather comparison photos and stain tests photos. (I can't recall the names of the members posting those, but they were extremely helpful.)

I see exactly what you're describing and understand your decision.

Good job!

TXCajun

Jake8 Guest

Savannah..... oh yes! Please show me how the Java looks with Antique Oak, Nutmeg, Provence, and Waxed Pine,, or make a suggestion. I'd like a finish that is lighter than the Java yet complimentary to it. I'd like something slightly distressed and not shiny. Our room is large and open to the kitchen. We have built in bookshelves done in the same wood as the kitchen cabinets, woodwork and doors and they are all within this large great room. It is all quarter sawn oak in a light golden stain. Floors are hickory. Here's a picture....

Name:	IMG_3591.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	8240

In this arena, my house is divided. My husband is a one-and-done. I am very much a ponderer.

That's because men are hunters - women are gatherers. Been like that for centuries.

Men see something - pull out their bow and arrow and shoot it. Kill it.
    Women gather a little here, go over to another place and gather some more, then even another place and gather-gather.

I see it all the time in the store. The 21st Century version of it goes something like this....

Man: "That chair feels good - get it - that one is fine." (the one shot kill)
    Woman: "Let's look through all 535 leather samples, what color do you think will go best? I may need to take some samples home." (gathering information)

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.