Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wood finishes

Jake8 Guest

Default Re: Wood finishes

I'd be happy to Viv. I had my husband put some holes in a couple of leather samples so I could stick the nails down into them. (I doubt we have a future in nail placing at H&M!). The dark one is Equestrian Truffle and the lighter one is Weston Cane Burnished. The nails are all small.... we didn't want the large ones. They are DD, CC, Y, S, L, J, and A. Let me know if there is anything else you need. I know how you feel, I stressed about nails for a good week!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3620.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	8383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3621.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	8384

ViviV Guest

Thanks Jake8!! This absolutely helps! I like DD on the dark leather and S on the lighter leather. Now I just need to decide on a leather. I'm stuck on the leather choice mostly because we're going to order a sofa that's not my first choice for looks but is what my husband wants in terms of dimensions and how it sits. He doesn't care about the "look" of the sofa; he wants it to be deep and comfy. We've selected the Salvatore sofa and chair (I REALLY don't like the chair , it's shorter than the sofa and it's back cushion looks too short!). These pieces are in the T&C program which is great for the wallet my husband says! The leather for it under the T&C is Cameo Luggage. I don't like that color of Cameo so I'm going to the second tier of the program to choose another Cameo color. The only two I like are Cameo Carmel and Cameo Mocha which are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd say one is too light and one is too dark. But the "middle " color is Cameo brown and it's too orange for my taste. So I'm stuck. I'm leaning towards the Mocha more because I'm afraid of how the Carmel color might change as it ages and that it might show darker areas due to usage since it's very light tan. I would probably ask for light burnish on the piece (afraid of brush marks showing like some have mentioned) so the leather will be very light in color. On the other hand, the Mocha will be more forgiving on stains and will age to a darker brown so that I know is okay but it's sooo dark. So I'm stuck. I wish I could have some else decide!!

Jake8 Guest

I have a Cameo Carmel sample, but not a Cameo Mocha. Is it darker than Tiburon Java? Do they burnish dark brown leather? We were all about a lighter carmelly color until we saw Tiburon Java. Did a 180 and never looked back. It's funny how a person is absolutely sure about something, then switches to something so very different. I tend to be be pretty indecisive most of the time.

ViviV Guest

Ha, ha, ha!! I'm indecisive when it comes to furniture. It's a struggle and my husband gives me no input on the colors. He just decides what size he wants and that's it. I am also challenged in the "decorator" department and I shy away from patterns, too much color, motifs, trends (nautical, country, etc.) mainly because I don't know if they look good together with other pieces. I will use magazines, books, internet, high end store displays, etc. to guide me in decorating a room but living room furniture that you have to get married to for decades is just plain difficult/intimidating for me. I also get bored of looking at my "plain" choices (chocolate brown microfiber sofa and love seat for 10 years.... BLAH! just plain BORING!) and now I want new, fresh, exciting sofas. So I had decided I would not order dark brown for the sofas. Well, here I am leaning towards Cameo Mocha. I think it's a little lighter than Tiburon Java but totally different because it's burnished so there's some "shine" to the leather. It's probably squeaky too. I've never seen a piece made in it. I think it's beautiful but not my favorite leather. I honestly would prefer a pull up like Tiburon much better. Grrrr...... but the savings are there if you order the sofa in Cameo leather so I will choose one of those. :S I know it will be beautiful just need to pull the trigger! The Cameo Carmel is nice but the uncertainty of how it will change in color as it ages and as it's used heavily is deterring me from choosing it. I've read that tan leather will darken and show wear a lot more than darker browns. And if I recall correctly, I have a few Coach and Dooney purses in tan, saddle type leather that didn't age so well. So I will stick with the dark brown. Probably.....

90% of all my customers echo the same sentiment, you are far from alone in the decision-making process. And of that 90 % I would say half become affected by decision paralysis, and can't move forward without a gentle push from yours truly. There are too many choices in the H&M Lineup, not only with leathers, but woods and nail trim and that before you even get into doing some of the fun custom stuff. What I try to do is make some suggestions, but I don't really 'push' to a closure like most salespeople do, though that is far more time-efficient. But I do have a good sense, especially when in the store, when someone is struggling and moribund and can't go any further - that's when I will help aim them in the direction they wanted to go and usually it was their first choice anyways. I will however, voice a strong opinion when I think a customer is making a mistake and won't like their choice of frame, mix, cover, etc. Most customers appreciate that. When I REALLY think you are making a mistake I will up the deposit from 20% to 50% and classify it as a full house custom and type up a short disclaimer form for them to sign saying I recommend against their choice and they understand there are absolutely no returns on their order under any circumstances. That usually puts a halt to that choice.

The Cameo series are handsome leathers, but they will be pretty much single-shade uneventful and if you are looking for spark in the cover, likely that not the choice. It will not have any of the drama that the pull-ups do or the more aggressive burnished leathers. It does not tend to change color much as it ages, unless subject to hard and direct sunlight. Safe but not inspiring.

On those purses, did you ever clean and condition them? <g> Probably not! My wife doesn't....I do them for her, usually when she's not even looking, especially her favorite Louis Vuitton with the natural leather. I see ladies carrying those all the time and the natural leather handles and corners are stained and water damaged. When they get unsightly enough then they stick them on EBAY and go get a new one. The handbag sellers never tell you about care of the leather. I use the Leather Solutions Aniline Kit on hers and the barrier product as the last step of the three-part kit resists not only water damage, but the soiling on the handles. Every 6 months it gets a treatment and it looks great - because I'm not buying her another one!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hi, Savannah.

Now that you've received your sofa, what do you think of your wood finish selection? Happy? Please, remind me of your final choice.

TXCajun

ViviV Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    90% of all my customers echo the same sentiment, you are far from alone in the decision-making process. And of that 90 % I would say half become affected by decision paralysis, and can't move forward without a gentle push from yours truly. There are too many choices in the H&M Lineup, not only with leathers, but woods and nail trim and that before you even get into doing some of the fun custom stuff. What I try to do is make some suggestions, but I don't really 'push' to a closure like most salespeople do, though that is far more time-efficient. But I do have a good sense, especially when in the store, when someone is struggling and moribund and can't go any further - that's when I will help aim them in the direction they wanted to go and usually it was their first choice anyways. I will however, voice a strong opinion when I think a customer is making a mistake and won't like their choice of frame, mix, cover, etc. Most customers appreciate that. When I REALLY think you are making a mistake I will up the deposit from 20% to 50% and classify it as a full house custom and type up a short disclaimer form for them to sign saying I recommend against their choice and they understand there are absolutely no returns on their order under any circumstances. That usually puts a halt to that choice.

The Cameo series are handsome leathers, but they will be pretty much single-shade uneventful and if you are looking for spark in the cover, likely that not the choice. It will not have any of the drama that the pull-ups do or the more aggressive burnished leathers. It does not tend to change color much as it ages, unless subject to hard and direct sunlight. Safe but not inspiring.

On those purses, did you ever clean and condition them? <g> Probably not! My wife doesn't....I do them for her, usually when she's not even looking, especially her favorite Louis Vuitton with the natural leather. I see ladies carrying those all the time and the natural leather handles and corners are stained and water damaged. When they get unsightly enough then they stick them on EBAY and go get a new one. The handbag sellers never tell you about care of the leather. I use the Leather Solutions Aniline Kit on hers and the barrier product as the last step of the three-part kit resists not only water damage, but the soiling on the handles. Every 6 months it gets a treatment and it looks great - because I'm not buying her another one!
    Duane, I read your post yesterday morning and I had a horribly busy day between work and kid sports afterwards that I could not get on here to reply. I wanted to so badly though... It was like having an itch I couldn't scratch!! Because YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! I have DECISION PARALYSIS... I am moribund!!! I carry my Cameo leather samples with me to work, to the soccer practice, to the kitchen, in the car... Like maybe one of these moments it will just become clear to me by holding them close what color is the right one!! :,( so sad. I'm pathetic and my husband just grumbles at me when he sees me. So please nudge me along so I can figure this out.

I have sent you a quote request for fabric samples. Please read it. It should provide insight to what I'm thinking of doing. Give me guidance when you read it and hopefully I can make a decision with your help. If I am headed down a wrong path, please straighten me out. I'm configuring furniture I've never seen nor sat in. I DEFINITELY need your guidance.

My concern with Cameo Carmel is that it could change colors into darker shades in areas of more usage. Are you saying that if I wipe it down constantly (weekly) with a damp rag and do the 6 month cleaning/ condition treatment it would remain the same color? With age, won't it darken quite a bit overall? It seems to me that darker aniline leather ages more gracefully, if you will, than lighte, unprotected aniline leathers. Simply because the deepen their color vs changing their color. What do you think?

Concerning the purses, I'm guilty of not cleaning and conditioning them. You're right! I also have never owned a LV and don't know if I will ever. The $200-300 Coach purses I have are already too expensive in my husband's eyes! I'm okay with that. I like to change my purse out every couple months and like to try new styles, colors and shapes. So the price point of the Coaches is high enough! But I will do the cleaning and conditioning that you recommend from now on because I do keep them. I don't like to sell them. Anyway, enough on purses

Thanks so much for your input. I truly appreciate it!
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.

I have your solution, though it will be radical. Book a plane ticket to Charlotte NC and grab a rental car to go to the High Point Market April 16th through the 20th. This is trade-show only, but I will arrange for you to get into the Hancock and Moore showroom where you can see, feel and touch hundreds of pieces of furniture and huge samples of every leather in the line. Then you will see everything there is to see and know what you want. Plan to spend the day there, its easy to burn 6 to 7 hours in the showroom. This is not open to the public, and there is no one there to wait on you so its not like going into a retail store. The folks from H&M are there to work with Dealers like me and write their floor orders, so you have to be like a church mouse in the showroom and quietly go about your business, but if you have a few questions here and there they will accommodate. I do this for a few customers from time to time, though its understood it has to be discrete. You may not be able to get into other showrooms, either - all require a trade pass and most will scan and verify. Then take your rental car and go 90 minutes to the factory in Hickory and take a H&M tour with Jimmy Moore the next day at the factory. By the time you get back on the plane you will have a knowledge base almost as good as mine and better than 95% of all dealers.

I will order fabrics for you, but there are thousands of them between all my makers and I don't have a memory for them like I do the leathers, so I won't recognize the names of them to provide guidance on them, sorry.

Cameo will not change color unless deeply, deeply soiled and never cleaned/conditioned. Its very stable in color.
    Duane Collie

ViviV Guest

R-a-d-i-c-a-l indeed!! You're just awesome for inviting me! Thank you so much! However, I can't make it to the Spring Market (I can't believe I'm declining your invitation to SPRING MARKET!!)

We are celebrating a joyous occasion on Sunday, April 17: My 7 yr old son is celebrating his First Holy Communion and we will have family and friends coming in from out of town for the weekend. So it would be impossible to attend.
    I hope you know how much I would L-O-V-E to go and sit on ALL the H&M pieces and touch and see ALL the leathers! My goodness, what a treat that would be. And I am good at being quiet like a church mouse too!!! ;>

However, a tour of the H&M factory MIGHT be doable but not until after kids are out of school for summer which is end of May. I would need to convince my hubby of that. We might even have reached a decision by then.... :~O but still would love to see the factory. I will take you up on that one and let you know if/when hubby agrees.

I thank you so much for the invites ....and for putting up with me. I will look at the fabric samples and try to see if I find a good match with my top leathers and make a choice. I hope to post some pics of what I am looking at next weekend (samples should be here by then) and I can get opinions.

If husband is okay with flying out to Hickory, NC to visit the H & M factory, I will let you know.
    Thanks again Duane.
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-31-2016 at 02:47 PM.

A Jimmy Moore tour of H&M is a real treat, big fun. If you do that, then grab a rental car and go West for a couple hours and see the Biltmore or do the Smokey Mountains afterwards. Western North Carolina and into Tennessee is really spectacular country and kids love Pigeon Forge and all there is to do there (I can't stand the traffic in Pigeon Forge myself during season, but know the shortcuts around there via Motorcycle)
    Duane Collie