Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Wood finishes

APTanner Guest

Default Re: Wood finishes

So I've been reading the various forum threads for weeks now & just came across this one...LOL!!! I'm sure you have seen & heard it all by now Duane! You have an interesting & accurate perspective on the genders. With that said, I will admit that I'm a gatherer for sure. I always try to educate myself and am never impulsive when making decisions. It now seems that I am needing some additional assistance on wood finish, before moving ahead with my final order. I know, I know, I'm overthinking again! I have selected Capri Harness for the Highlands sofa & chair. I realize the legs are somewhat insignificant, but still feel compelled to make the "right" decision! While I LOVE the look & tones of Belgian Chocolate, I want to stay away from the premium finishes. I am considering the default color of MD, Mesa, and Artifacts, but have to base my decision on the e-catalog photos. Do you have an opinion on a darker finish that would go well with the caramel tones of Capri Harness? Is there a standard finish similar to Belgian Chocolate?

For Capri Harness I often use Sandalwood as a suggestion. It's not super-dark, but has a bit of the color of the leather in the wood. If you want rich and dark, perhaps Java.

The Premium Finishes are just not really worth the cost on those pieces that show little exposed wood. But if you gotta have it - you gotta have it!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

The standard mahogany distress wood finish is just fine, especially with just bun feet showing on my Austin High Back Tilt Back chair. I put the extra money towards the best GR 2 leather that I could afford in Atticus Sable.

I agree. Some customers spend FAR too much time fretting over wood sample colors, holding wood samples up to the light and laying them out on the counter with leather swatches atop them, looking for the perfect shade. Truth is, on most pieces, it makes little difference. There are a whole lot of pieces where there is only a small bit of wood showing, its down in the shadows and five feet from your line of sight. That's why its impractical to lay them on the counter or take them up to the window in the best lighting, the feet or legs of the pieces bear no relationship to that kind of scrutiny. If you are in the store looking at wood samples, put them on the floor and push them under a sample sofa a bit, and drape you leather swatch on the seat, then stand up and back up four feet. NOW you have a realistic view, and you'll find that on may pieces its really doesn't matter very much.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.