Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this Shankss ottoman an H&M ottoman? If so, what leather is made up in?

ViviV Guest

Default Re: Is this Shankss ottoman an H&M ottoman? If so, what leather is made up in?

Savannah -Look at this picture from crunchysue's AMAZING post with leather sample pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeatherComp-Sun-TuscanyS-QuintessenceC.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	8255

Tuscany is rich and elegant! Nice! and so is Quintessence Chestnut but it's one grade up....I wonder how much that adds to the price on a sectional??? :S
    I'm afraid of falling in love with a Capri or Quintessence and then having to have it, so I haven't ordered any samples of those..... if I don't see it, I can't want it right??
    LOL!

Now here's the reason why I am in so "infatuated" with Hyde Tan Park Tan:

Name:	hyde tan park LIGHT burnishing.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	8256

Nice!! right?

Maybe instead of buying a sectional, I should buy a sofa and love seat so that I can have several leathers!! It's murder trying to pick just one! I actually looked into this option by scouring the catalog for a 4 seater sofa but couldn't find one that fit our style. There is one that is huge, the 6096-3 Chauncey Sofa, but it looks like it should be in the lobby of a hotel not in a cozy living room! I do like the Utah sofa and it's big but there's no loveseat to it only chairs. It's weird, I need a longgg side with a very short side set up. Anyhow, now I'm just rambling on... so I'll shut up.
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-07-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Default Re: Is this Shankss ottoman an H&M ottoman? If so, what leather is made up in?

Well it sounds like you are (or were??? LOL) figuring it out and have the right samples on the way! Honestly, nooo I would not even get capri or quintessence samples... Not for a sofa that your family with two boys will be enjoying... You dont want to make everyone crazy and too uncomfortable to even use the sofa for fear of ruining it ;D. The wax on a pull up or the coating on a burnished will help protect it more. Save that luxury hide for your own personal chair down the road . Hyde Park Tan does look nice on there. That wood paneling and the lamp light are making it look more golden, though. I think hyde park Earth looks like that color in natural light.

Oh, and rest assured that the photos I posted are very color accurate . I tweaked them for color and brightness in photoshop until the colors were just like what I was looking at in person. The only one that is just slightly off is the bottom one of the two together... I couldnt get the saddle any brighter without making the earth look too yellow.

As for darker tones- I think I personally prefer richer neutrals as they contrast more. As long as the room is light, the sofa won't look too dark... Depends a lot on your flooring and walls. I just love cream walls, light brown wood floors, a seagrass rug, a dark sofa, and linen or white curtains... But that is MY style . I also really adore that caramelly brown tuscany saddle. It would give a beautiful contrast and warmth with cream walls too.

ViviV Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Oh, and rest assured that the photos I posted are very color accurate . I tweaked them for color and brightness in photoshop until the colors were just like what I was looking at in person. The only one that is just slightly off is the bottom one of the two together... I couldnt get the saddle any brighter without making the earth look too yellow.
    Savannah- you are so nice to fix the pics on photoshop! I am anxiously awaiting the samples for sure.
    I like the look you describe, light airy. The colors in my living room are light -maybe walls could be lighter but overall pretty light. Now what really makes a visual impact in there is the monster entertainment center that we HAD TO HAVE back in the nineties! I think if it was not in there, the living room would feel bigger. But my husband won't hear of moving it/selling it/getting rid of it. Not until it falls apart he says :/

Anyhow, thanks for your input. I think I just saw a post saying your furniture is in upholstery!! Yay!! I can't wait to see it!! Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts and awesome pics!

Viviv

Now what really makes a visual impact in there is the monster entertainment center that we HAD TO HAVE back in the nineties! I think if it was not in there, the living room would feel bigger. But my husband won't hear of moving it/selling it/getting rid of it. Not until it falls apart he says :/

Oh, you should be able to get that old dinosaur out of the room, just promise him this....

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22-...100169172.html

I got rid of ours about 3 months ago. We sold a whole bunch of those entertainment centers in the 90's, and now I get calls from people wanting to know if I will buy them back. I tell them "Give it away on Craigslist or take it to the Landfill, they have no value at all today".

For sofas, have you considered these? They are both stunning in a nice burnished leather. The Natalie needs premium wood, however...then it looks like a work of art.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/New-P...3/Natalie-Sofa

This may be the most handsome tufted sofa in the line right now, and if I were ordering one I'd take those buttons on the front kick border and do them in a contrasting color.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ey-Tufted-Sofa
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ViviV Guest

Duane,
    I'm dying laughing! I will show him your suggestions tonight! LOL!!
    Btw...most of it's racks are filled with VHS tapes...and our last VHS player died 7 years ago :/

Since I have been homebound yesterday and today with my 7 year old who's under the weather, I got caught up w housework and then decided to play with my living room furniture. :O yikes, hubby hates when that happens.... but I think it was a good thing.

It became apparent really quickly that the Lacross sectional nor any L shaped sectional would be a wise choice. I shoved all the furniture to form a sectional and several issues arose:
    1) entry into the room would be small
    2) it would over power the place tremendously

The room is not open nor big enough is what I concluded. A sectional closes the space to walk into the living room BUT we want more seating than we have now!! That's why we started looking at furniture to begin with. So what to do??

So I got busy pushing couches around and I came up with this idea: How about a looooong sofa on the long wall facing the TV and 2 chairs flanking the opening into the living room. Now this was hard to reproduce with the pieces of furniture I own because one is a loveseat, but I shoved it to the corner as much as I could to represent where the 2nd chair would go.

Take a look....I took some panoramic pics....NOTICE difference in the space to enter the space with the sectional (pretend the loveseat and chair are the short part of the L sectional) and with two chairs "flanking" the entrance to the space. Also note tape measure on the floor showing increased length of the new sofa approx. 101-105" and when set up as sectional, you see the space that the sectional is "short" away from the side table (reason for wanting a longer sectional w/ a short return):

VIEW FROM THE HALLWAY FOR BOTH OPTIONS -sectional (made up by pushing loveseat and chair together) vs 2 chairs (separated):

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	8265

Views:	251 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	8266

Space sectional would be "short" vs a long sofa:

Views:	272 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	8267

This is the space left to enter the living room with a sectional 106" on the short side of the L:

Views:	259 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	8268

This the space when using two chairs... Use your imagination a little bit ;b:

Views:	256 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	8269
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.

ViviV Guest

View from inside of living room looking towards the hallway....

With long/ wide sofa (tape measure shows where the sofa would end) and 2 chairs:

Views:	253 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	8270

Views:	240 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	8271

With the sectional:

Views:	267 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	8272

Views:	245 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	8273

With long sofa and chair:

Views:	253 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	8270
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.

ViviV Guest

Duane I'll take all the pictures down in a couple days to not take so much space on server.

I just really wanted to give you a "look" into my dilemma and would appreciate your input.... what say you? sectional or not? Do you see how short the Lacross would be on the window wall? That last picture shows the sofas at 129" x 106". If I move it in, towards the lamp table, then the entrance gets tighter because of the entertainment center and the sofa arm get closer to each other...grrrr.

I would love a tuffed sofa like the one you suggested but none come wide enough to seat four people.

Measurements dictate the largest H&M sofas...

1) The Sundance- it is a close call but I would shove it into the wall and all it's merits are on its back. It's not worth paying premium for it and then hide what makes it so special to begin with! It has the biggest inside width at 95"!

2) The Highlands but I don't think there's a picture of it ANYWHERE but the stock photo on H&Ms website! Is it a bad seller? Have you ever sat on it or seen it? It's not the best looking H&M piece but it could be dressed up. My husband doesn't care for the looks. It has a inside width of 87". Very good....

3)Settlement -its only 80" inside width but huge outside width measurements due to the arms W101". Out of the race!

4)Utah, doesn't look comfy for tv watching and lounging due to the tight back. We have never had a sofa like that one. Also very tall at 39". Outside Width 110" / Inside width 87.5. Not bad at all.

5) Make a sofa out of 2 one arm sectional pieces. Is this weird or ever done? I guess it's a straight sectional. The York is the only one that would give us the most space with the 4 seats and still fits on the wall with a chair next to it. I was thinking maybe of the York pieces NC203LAF and NC203RAF to make a sofa; basically two loveseats together. Also considered the Lacross in same set up -two one arm loveseats put together. But the Lacross would be Outside width 122" which is too long to accommodate the chair next to it.

The two York loveseats would end up being outside width 115", inside width 101 +/-. That fits better and gives us 4 seats. I also used your new retail price spreadsheet and took 50% off msrp as you suggest and we can stay in budget with those 2 pieces plus 2 chairs. I don't really know if to /or how / which chairs to mix it with.

Lastly, do you think that I am trying to shove too much furniture into the space?

I guess the first decision to make is sectional or not? And if not the sectional, which four-seater sofa fits in there with a chair next to it. :S

Please advice. I really do value and need your opinion.

Thanks for your input and ideas and anyone else who want to chime in please send your ideas my way!
    Sorry for such long post...I will remove pics later on.
    Last edited by ViviV; 03-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.

No worries about server space, I bought lots of space from Go Daddy......

I'd not use a sectional in that space, just a sofa and then I'd go with a Chair and a Half (not a loveseat) in the "L position, if you can find a model you like. I like to retain good walk through space.

Sundance its too large for that space(too deep), wrong style. Highlands? I'm with your husband.....Settlement, no...too deep, its a laydown unit, not a sit up sofa. Utah might work....its dramatic when built right. Also look at the Sloane. I'd not worry about a 4-seater unit, they get too large to wedge one in a smaller room.

Yes - too much furniture in too small a space. Keep it open....how many people use the room on regularly?

If you want a long sofa, this one may look good in the space. How about some room photos from all angles?

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...s/Reunion-Sofa
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-08-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.