Thread: Tall Bookcases

Jenny Guest

Default Tall Bookcases

First off, my apologies for asking so many questions over the past month or so - Duane you've been invaluable and I really really appreciate your advice. Here's my most recent project and conundrum:

I live in a loft with 12 ft ceilings, and their height completely dwarfs standard bookcases. I'm hoping to put up a row of bookshelves along a wall, and I'd prefer open shelving rather than traditional bookcases. What height should I be looking at? I have very poor ability to imagine how things will look if not in front of me, life-sized already.

Also, is there any chain store that sells shelving that is easily customizable? I have no idea how to go about looking to have something designed for me (Angie's List??), and would really prefer that as a last resort mostly because of my poor ability to know what I want until I see it and some concern over pricing.

Default Re: Tall Bookcases

Unless you are going to install a ladder with the bookcases, don't make them any higher than you can reach. You won't be able to fill the spatial gap with bookcases (vertically), rather get a a workable size on them and then use shadow box molding or other visual design tricks to bring the ceiling down visually. There is shelving of every price, size and design you can imagine, you'll have to search for what you think will work in your design motif. Don't put too much faith in Angie's List, btw.....I got some of the worst contractors imaginable from their "Recommendations" after using their A+ rated businesses on three occasions. Did you know a Contractor can 'buy' his way out of a poor rating on Angie's List?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe.../#47a4148066aa
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jenny Guest

I suspected so much with respect to Angie's list! I've been looking to get some custom work done (install some lighting, take down a non-load bearing wall) as well as this bookshelf issue, but I have been avoiding it so far because I don't trust those rating websites. I've been asking friends and family, but no one knows any good contractors either.

I have a great guy in Alexandria VA, but don't think he will travel to Minneapolis for a job!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.