Thread: Applying Leather Solutions Intl kit

Default Applying Leather Solutions Intl kit

Duane Can you share your technique for applying the kit to untreated leather?
    I finally got around to using the leather maintenance kit I purchased from you on my furniture. I cleaned, softened and protected my City sofa and chair first, then I tackled my Restoration Hardware sofa. This piece has a unprotected leather cover. The City pieces are Cavalier Henna and applying the 3 steps was easy but the RH sofa was a workout. I found it pretty difficult to avoid making it obvious where I started applying the conditioner. The protector was also a bit of a pain but the conditioner was the hardest. I used the sponge with step 1 and the cloths provided in the kit for steps 2 and 3.
    Thank you

Default Re: Applying Leather Solutions Intl kit

Leather Solutions recommends applying their product with a hair dryer in one hand when used on a pure aniline hide. I don't do that, but I apply it very thinly.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Do you apply step 3 lightly as well? Do you use the same type of cloth as is provided in the kit for steps 2 and 3?
    My leather seemed very thirsty and I am very happy with the finished product but it seems like I should have used even more conditioner than I did. After treating the City pieces I had about 6oz remaining in the bottle and used it all on the 8' sofa. The way the conditioner looked when worked into the leather reminded me of when I would put glove conditioner on a new baseball glove back when I was a kid.

The Conditioner is always the most used product of the three bottles, however I don't apply it all that heavy, I try to keep the coats light. I don't even use the cloths in the kit, they are too small and flimsy. I grab some of my auto detailing microfiber cloths.
    Duane Collie

Thank you, I will try using one of them next time.
    Looking back I think my RH sofa could have benefitted from your treatment kit the day I bought it and I got it new about 3 years ago.

I would guess that 9 out of 10 dealers selling leather furniture - or even 9 out of 10 car dealers selling you a car with leather interior will never tell you that you should keep it cleaned and conditioned. They either don't know, or they don't care once you've paid for it (probably the latter). That's the trick on all leather - keep it clean, conditioned (softened) and control sun fade and it will go a very long time. I've quite fanatical about my auto interiors for example, they have a much harder life on the leather than the inside residential furniture...and when I go to trade in or sell one of my vehicles, people comment how good the leather looks inside - that's because I do the car interiors about every 3 months.
    Duane Collie