Thread: Bedding at The Marriott

Default Bedding at The Marriott

We have come to the Marriott Vacation Club resorts many times over the past twenty years and like everything about the place except the bedding. It is is so bad that each time we make the trip I say I'm going to follow in our furniture delivery truck and bring our Royal Pedic from home to replace the lousy king in the master suite. My wife dismisses me with "don't be so dramatic!"

This trip I asked her twice to pack decent sheets so we could get the threadbare ones off the bed that I know will be on it, and at least put our nice Egyptian cotton ones on. She forgot to do it, or ignored my request ( take your pick) and we found ourselves at Target the next morning buying some 600 count cotton sheets after the first night in their bed. Decent sheets made the bed much better, but it was still way too mushy and non-supportive and we both awoke with backaches.

Today I got after the bed, and flipped their no-flip mattress with huge body impressions in it. I think it will be much better to sleep on. If I had a piece of 3/4" plywood to put under the Matt I'd really be good to go.

This begs the question...I how many people regularly sleep on crappy bedding? This is a luxury resort, and I can't imagine that the bulk of guests feel the same way we do as the complaints would be through the roof. I can only ascertain that the bedding is satisfactory to the majority of their guests or they would change it. Personally, I wouldn't buy this quality of bedding for my dog,that's how bad it is. My wife and I may be spoiled by sleeping only on Royal Pedics for the past 20 years and that's probably part of the problem. When you get used to premium bedding it's hard to sleep on junk. However getting a decent nights sleep and awakening with no back pain is pretty significant. I hate to be a complainer but I must dash off a letter to Marriott which of course will generate a canned reply of concern but ultimately will be ignored.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-23-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Bedding at The Marriott

I'm amazed that you can flip the no-flip mattress, and find something more than cambric covering an open frame. The ones I've seen have very little substance beyond the dust cover on the bottom side....

My good friend Scott and his wife Patty drove to Hilton Head to join us end of the week on the beach, and we told them not to expect the Marriott beds to sleep like what they have at home. That got us talking on bedding and Scott (who is not one to spend money whimsically) and Patty told me what big fans they are of their Royal Pedic King size bed that I pretty much arm-twisted them into buying about 5 years ago. Reluctant to lay out that much coin for the bedding, I think they bought it mostly so I'd stop talking about it once they made the mistake of asking me for a recommendation. Now they are huge-on fans of the brand. What I got a kick out of even more though is that their son Kyle - who did local deliveries for my store while in college - told them he wants a Royal Pedic. Kyle delivered his fair share of R-P beds over the years and grunted a fair amount of them upstairs into homes. He was very enthusiastic about his job with TKR and I was sad to lose him as my lead delivery guy on Saturdays when he moved out of state. He used to tell his parents (and anyone else who would listen) "You buy Hancock and Moore for upholstery, Royal Pedic for beds, that's the best. I know, I haul it". I always got a chuckle out of that....

So anyways, Scott says "He's a really hard worker at his job and bought a new small house for him and his bride-to-be. What's one of those cost now? He was asking me the other day." I said "Queen or King?" When he said King size I said "I was afraid you'd say that, they're pricey for a young couple just getting started, over $ 6K for a set, the Queens are less.". Scott said "Yeah, but otherwise they'll go out and buy some cheap junk set for $ 2K and that won't last - maybe I'll help him out on the price. He wants a King. We bought so many lousy beds in our lifetime - I went down that road before too many times. I'm not a believer in buying one that lasts and sleeps good." So I reminded him that even the RP won't last forever and and has to be replaced at the 15 to 20 year mark, tops.

Anyways, to end my Marriott bed story we checked out yesterday morning and the Front Desk manager asked me how we enjoyed the stay - this was our 6th visit to the property. I said "It was great - we always like coming here, you and your staff do an excellent job on the property, its our favorite place on the East Coast to come for a beach vacation." He beamed. Then I added "It would be perfect if the beds were better - they're really soft and unsupportive. Does anyone else complain about them?" He says "Ahhhh yes, the famous Marriott-Mush-Mattress as we call it, you are not the first to comment on it". While I seriously doubt they would ever put bedding in the quality of Royal Pedic, I have to wonder why they don't put a better class of bedding in their units? We got home late last night and sleeping back in our own R.P. felt really good and I woke up without any backache today for the first time in a week.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You are making me curious about Marriott Vacation Club vs. Marriott Hotel bedding. It has been stated by many that Marriott mattresses are exclusively manufactured by Jamison, but they are also said to be "exclusive" to Marriott (i.e., made to their specs). Most major hotel chains for quite a number of years now have seen such consumer demand for their bedding that they all have their own web stores to sell it to the public. It makes me wonder if most peoples home mattresses are so bad that a Marriott stay drives them to want one like they found in their hotel room? Hilton Garden Inns also sell their "Hilton" bedding on their own web store. We have owned a Tempur-Pedic mattress for perhaps five or six years now and had to modify it to keep it from sleeping too hot. Believe it or not we tried a number of things including bamboo sheets to cool things down with little success. Finally we purchased a natural wool fiber cover and placed it under the moisture barrier which reduced to the problem and also added an extra firmness to the bed. Obviously this defeats the purpose of the body conforming foam, but it has made the mattress acceptable. Next time I go to replace it, I am already planning on trying out the Royal Pedic but even then I dread trying to decide how firm or padded of a RP to select. There is no way to go into a store and make a 10-year decision as to which degree of firmness or padding to choose.

Mightydog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    We have come to the Marriott Vacation Club resorts many times over the past twenty years and like everything about the place except the bedding. It is is so bad that each time we make the trip I say I'm going to follow in our furniture delivery truck and bring our Royal Pedic from home to replace the lousy king in the master suite. My wife dismisses me with "don't be so dramatic!"

This trip I asked her twice to pack decent sheets so we could get the threadbare ones off the bed that I know will be on it, and at least put our nice Egyptian cotton ones on. She forgot to do it, or ignored my request ( take your pick) and we found ourselves at Target the next morning buying some 600 count cotton sheets after the first night in their bed. Decent sheets made the bed much better, but it was still way too mushy and non-supportive and we both awoke with backaches.

Today I got after the bed, and flipped their no-flip mattress with huge body impressions in it. I think it will be much better to sleep on. If I had a piece of 3/4" plywood to put under the Matt I'd really be good to go.

This begs the question...I how many people regularly sleep on crappy bedding? This is a luxury resort, and I can't imagine that the bulk of guests feel the same way we do as the complaints would be through the roof. I can only ascertain that the bedding is satisfactory to the majority of their guests or they would change it. Personally, I wouldn't buy this quality of bedding for my dog,that's how bad it is. My wife and I may be spoiled by sleeping only on Royal Pedics for the past 20 years and that's probably part of the problem. When you get used to premium bedding it's hard to sleep on junk. However getting a decent nights sleep and awakening with no back pain is pretty significant. I hate to be a complainer but I must dash off a letter to Marriott which of course will generate a canned reply of concern but ultimately will be ignored.
    We normally stay at the Marriott, Ritz and Marriott Vacations...need to watch out. Some have foam mattresses and the better ones have the coil springs. Have never had a problem sleeping on the coil springs. Hotels do swap out their mattresses anywhere from yearly to every two years. Helped my dad working maintenance one year while going thru school and had to swap out two hundred rooms..this was before anyone heard of bedbugs! Your right about sleeping on premium sheets spoil you when you get the cheap stuff even at a high end resort. I would keep a "go" bag in my car with a set so your wife won't have to remember to take.