Thread: Quality Leather Motion Sectionals - Brands, Opinions, & Advice?

akjoek Guest

Default Quality Leather Motion Sectionals - Brands, Opinions, & Advice?

I know from scouring these forums and doing independent research, Leather Motion Sectionals are not the preferred option for those seeking quality furniture builds. I have come to understand that the motion elements prevent good seating springs and construction. I also get that electronic components and mechanical features break down quicker and create cost concerns at the outset along with long term.

That said, after doing an initial perusal and furniture store visits, it seems that it makes the most sense for our family for our needs/wants and use style. We know that a leather motion sectional will be expensive for a top grain or full grain leather set. At first we were OK with the idea of getting a FlexSteel sectional, knowing that the fit and finish my not be craftsman, but that it would last and suit our needs. I have shifted a bit to being open to H&M as well as B&Y or others. But I'd love to hear some opinions on other brands (wish approximate costs - or recommended DO's and DONT's in terms of features, models, etc...)

Our biggest factor (or why I am asking in this forum) is that in our area we have quite a few local furniture stores that are long time in-state "ICONS" as well as that we live about 20 miles from the world headquarters of a Lazy Furniture brand. So these in-state stores, while they carry some of the other brands, feature this Lazy brand and then other value options that mimic them You can occasionally find decent makes, but they are a few here and a few there. Any of the more top end, or luxury furniture stores are further out and they cater to a much different clientele and I honestly would have the time or knowledge of which to start with. So I am trying to do my research on this beginning end so that when I go into one, I dont get fleeced too badly.

Here is what I am looking for (I think?) and what I think I have learned and what/why we are looking at a leather sectional:

1. Comfort - the main reasons for the sectional are that it is big enough, and will be the main or exclusive seating option for our room. With 3 kids, and often more - we need seating and lounging. We dont have the room for two sofas, and the sofa / love seat set doesn't appeal to my wife - she feels like you end up paying for NOT having the corner of a sectional.
    2. Leather - We plan for this to be a long term buy, are fine spending more to get the quality and longevity, plus we like it.
    3. Cost - We know that we will pay more for motion, leather, and a good build and are willing to pay, but we also want to keep cost within the VALUE range. We dont need/want the top end fit and finish necessarily.
    4. Features - I list this only to say that I like reclining. It doesn't have to be power, but I feel like the cost of power to manual is negligible unless there is a HUGE reason to go manual.
    5. Look/Style: The #1 problem I have found, in my searches, is that leather sectional motion seating is either of the gaudy overstuffed look, or very boxy and minimal. I have seen some nice transitional styled pieces, but only in the lower/mid end stuff that come in less quality makers. I do know that H&M probably has something, but I am thinking it would be too cost prohibitive and the website doesn't really do a good job of explaining their motion units and no cost

So my main question is: If you were helping a friend purchase a leather sectional motion set, who had a budget of the 3-5K range, but would be willing to spend a little more for the right reasons, where/what would you steer them into or advise them about?

Default Re: Quality Leather Motion Sectionals - Brands, Opinions, & Advice?

I tend to find that most failures from hardware on motion pieces are a result of abuse and misuse. If you can keep in mind a few basic rules on motion furniture, you are less likely to damage a mechanism, and these are boundaries you have to set with kids in the house, otherwise stationary pieces can take a lot more abuse if you are not willing to put these restrictions in place for kids (big and small!). 1) No horsing around when the recliner is open. That means jumping into the seat when its extended, or jumping on someone. This can even mean a child launching themselves at Dad when he's watching a game, etc. 2) No jumping up from the recliner when its open. A lot of people do this, and it can and will create a weak point in the pressed rivets that operate the mechanism. When the rivets go, the mechanism must be replaced. 3) If you get a power unit, use a surge protector. People put them on their TV's, their Computers, but not their motion furniture. Get a surge in the line and you can destroy the switch, rectifier, transformer and sometimes even the motor. Those parts rarely fail otherwise. 4) Do not move the pieces or transport them with the mechanism open. Recliners are strong when closed, subject to damage when open. Follow those guidelines and most brands will perform well.

In the $ 3K to $ 5K range for a leather sectionals, you most likely will be looking at an import, to get quality USA-made product will run higher than that, depending on the sections you are looking at and class of leather. Most B-Y motion sectionals will come in $ 6K to $ 8K, most H&M $ 9K to $ 12K.

Your main goal in construction of any sectional is a stiff frame. The mechanical pieces to the frame, so if there is lots of twist in the piece, then the mechanisms will also twist and go out of alignment, and more subject to failure. Frame stiffness comes at a price, however. Most less expensive sectionals are made of plywood, and the strongest are made of solid hardwood. The frame is a large part of the cost of the piece. The leather itself is the single largest component cost however, and on those less costly ones you may be betting bi-cast or bonded leather, which is really more of a plastic product than real leather. Top Grain will be a painted leather and Full Top Grain a pure Aniline, the latter generally the more costly.

If you decide to go with a sectional, you will only get two recliners, on the outboard stations of the piece. If you go with a separate sofa, and say a loveseat, you will get four recliners. Just a data point to consider.

Hope that helps!
    Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

akjoek Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    In the $ 3K to $ 5K range for a leather sectionals, you most likely will be looking at an import, to get quality USA-made product will run higher than that, depending on the sections you are looking at and class of leather. Most B-Y motion sectionals will come in $ 6K to $ 8K, most H&M $ 9K to $ 12K.

Your main goal in construction of any sectional is a stiff frame. The mechanical pieces to the frame, so if there is lots of twist in the piece, then the mechanisms will also twist and go out of alignment, and more subject to failure. Frame stiffness comes at a price, however. Most less expensive sectionals are made of plywood, and the strongest are made of solid hardwood. The frame is a large part of the cost of the piece. The leather itself is the single largest component cost however, and on those less costly ones you may be betting bi-cast or bonded leather, which is really more of a plastic product than real leather. Top Grain will be a painted leather and Full Top Grain a pure Aniline, the latter generally the more costly.

If you decide to go with a sectional, you will only get two recliners, on the outboard stations of the piece. If you go with a separate sofa, and say a loveseat, you will get four recliners. Just a data point to consider.

Hope that helps!
    Duane

We went to a local place that had B&Y and Smith Brothers. I know neither are H&M, but we may go look at those tomorrow. I wanted to get a sense of price and quality. I really liked both, we tended to like the Smith a little more, but I know they dont have the 8way - they have individual coils, but their wood construction is nice.

I have also moved away from reclining and we think that a sectional with a peninsula (not a chaise) is the route we will go. I really wish that we could go into a B&Y or H&M but we are trying to stick around $5k (6 at most) and it seems like BY/HM are just above that price point. Is that generally the case for a stationary sectional?

I would have to have specific models and a cover to do a quote, but am glad to do so if you complete the form here on the forum.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.