Thread: Best B-Y leathers?

mmessbl Guest

Default Best B-Y leathers?

I love H&M's Capri and Quintessence leathers, but am having trouble finding an H&M sofa that works for us. I have, however, found an B-Y sofa that fits us perfectly. I have been searching the forum for a couple of weeks now reading everything I can find to do with B-Y's leathers, but haven't found too much discussion of their offerings.

So, on to my question: are there any B-Y leathers that are comparable to Hancock & Moore's Capri or Quintessence? If there are none that are quite so nice, what are the most appealing in Bradington-Young's lineup? (I am interested in the aniline and semi-anilines.)

Thanks for any and all input!

Default Re: Best B-Y leathers?

The closest B-Y has to a soft luxury hide is the 9055 series leathers. They are very nice, but not Capri or Quintessence!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

mmessbl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The closest B-Y has to a soft luxury hide is the 9055 series leathers. They are very nice, but not Capri or Quintessence!
    Thanks Duane! It's a shame they don't have a nice (not dark) brown in that group. It seems to be much harder to find a nice leather with Bradington-Young. With H&M the difficulty was in narrowing it down.

H&M has 5 to 6 times the number of leathers to choose from. However the good news with B-Y is the hides are rarely out-of-stock, at H&M at the average stock rate is around 60 to 70% of all hides offered at any given time.
    Duane Collie

mmessbl Guest

H&M has 5 to 6 times the number of leathers to choose from. However the good news with B-Y is the hides are rarely out-of-stock, at H&M at the average stock rate is around 60 to 70% of all hides offered at any given time.
    I am trying to understand B-Y's leathers, and I think I'm finally getting somewhere. I'm not sure why, but it's odd how I was able to understand H&M's selection so much easier even though, as you say, they have 5-6 times as many!

I found a post (by Duane) that said: ".... but B-Y's best pull up anilines are all GR 6, series 9593, 9113, 9066, 9065, 9017."

How is the feel (hand?) of the 9017s vs. the 9113s?
    From what I have been able to feel, the 9113 swatches all seemed to have that velvety aniline feel, but the 9017s were sometimes velvety and sometimes slick. I want to avoid a squeaky leather that I slide right out of.

If swatches vary in terms of the feel, does that mean you take a chance with the finished piece? Maybe it's soft and velvety, or maybe you get a lot that's satiny and slick?

As always, thank you for your dedication to this forum and helping us learn!

Is there an update to this answer for 2019? I believe the 9055 is retired by B-Y?

Looking for "Leather Snob" options in a B-Y piece.

Thank you.

These is still one current 9055 series hide, a -65 which will be a burgundy. Here's the most current leather list from Bradington Young:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0419.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	11706
    Duane Collie