Thread: Bradington Young Hamrick 543-25 chair?

Default Bradington Young Hamrick 543-25 chair?

Anyone own one of these, or can comment on its price vrs most other major manufacturers' versions of casterd English roll arm chairs? I think it looks like a great version: modern seat height, casters look quality(unsure if they're actually brass, or just brass colored?) All the major lifestyle, catalog/mall stores carry similar models & charge probably much more for an inferior made product.

I love the look of a slightly distressed leather, or a true aniline pull up that will result in a distressed/aged look over time with a great patina.

I got rid of most of my starter furniture several years ago when moved to NYC for a brief stint & am working with literally just a few quality antique pieces handed down to me by my parents. That's why I've posted recently searching out a sofa & now a chair.

I like the pics of that B&Y 4011(?) recliner done in their 9853-88 leather that Duane said gave it that "Restoration Hardware" look. After just looking on B&Y's website, that's a Grade 6 leather...so, does that mean it'll make the price of this chair comparable to a H&M in a lower graded leather?

Duane, is there an unfinished, unprotected full aniline in the B&Y line-up with a heavy pull up effect in their lower grades similar in color to the 1 you posted pics of? Unfortunately, their website's leather pics & descriptions are leaving much to be desired

Default Re: Bradington Young Hamrick 543-25 chair?

The B-Y 543-25 is a classic English Arm Chair, very easy to work with in more decors.

The casters are cheap Chinese pot-metal, colored brass - and they sometimes do break. That's what everyone uses in the business.

REAL brass casters are out there, but quite expensive. Horton Brass makes real ones, and although B-Y would not do it, Hancock and Moore would allow you to buy these and send them in to be used on one of their pieces. They would mill the legs to fit at time of production. There might be a small custom charge, but it would not be excessive. This is what I would do if I were ordering for my own home.

http://www.horton-brasses.com/cupcastersfor.asp

Hard to beat a real pull-up hide, they're great. Even B-Y's highest price leather is still not in H&M price points in their lowest. I don't know the post you are referring to (and can't take the time to search for it), but B-Y's best pull up anilines are all GR 6, series 9593, 9113, 9066, 9065, 9017.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Those Horton round cup brass casters are really beautiful! So, even H&M is using the cheap pot metal Chinese casters too? Wow, I'd think on a substantial piece of furniture like a solid wood framed sofa, you'd need something heavy to withstand the pressure of sitting, moving the piece, etc & pot metal just ain't gonna cut it!

Interesting to learn & had no idea, because SO many of the other English roll arm sofas & chairs out there are described as having "brass casters." Well, you learn something new every day...especially here

Is there a sticky on B&Y latest specs, leather & cushion descriptions, prices that I'm just not looking in the right place for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The B-Y 543-25 is a classic English Arm Chair, very easy to work with in more decors.

The casters are cheap Chinese pot-metal, colored brass - and they sometimes do break. That's what everyone uses in the business.

REAL brass casters are out there, but quite expensive. Horton Brass makes real ones, and although B-Y would not do it, Hancock and Moore would allow you to buy these and send them in to be used on one of their pieces. They would mill the legs to fit at time of production. There might be a small custom charge, but it would not be excessive. This is what I would do if I were ordering for my own home.

http://www.horton-brasses.com/cupcastersfor.asp

Hard to beat a real pull-up hide, they're great. Even B-Y's highest price leather is still not in H&M price points in their lowest. I don't know the post you are referring to (and can't take the time to search for it), but B-Y's best pull up anilines are all GR 6, series 9593, 9113, 9066, 9065, 9017.
    If I did this correctly, this is the thread where I saw this particular leather:http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...eather-9593-88

It resembles Brompton Coco/Vintage Cigar & really does give that chair the "Restoration Hardware" look. The picture on B&Y's website is so flat, you don't see ANY of the nuances in the leather.

Does B&Y do a MC for the 543-25 chair in any of their leather grades as a way to minimize costs? What kinda savings are we talking about going the MC route: minimal? Or substantial(20+%??)

# 9593 is still a current leather, GR 6 for B-Y. You will never see the shades and textures in leather swatches, that's why I do the photo libraries, which I think are even better than the professional shots on the company's websites.

The 543 series has a married cover in leather series 9896 in two browns, -84 and -88. There are the same hides as the 9131 series, a GR 2 King Street Leather. You would save $ 225 on the Married Cover over a standard GR 2.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.