Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How best to negotiate reasonable prices?

Jenny Guest

Default Re: How best to negotiate reasonable prices?

Hi Asomer,

You'll be amused to know that I'm now experiencing a similar dilemma as you with respect to RH furniture. I wasn't planning to buy anything from RH at all, but I recently found one of these: https://www.restorationhardware.com/...ryId=cat560005 on sale on my local craigslist, only a few months old, for $800.

I had an "oh my god, I'm literally dying" moment, even though I'm hesitant about what to spend. It's not even really my style (I live in a loft, and have been trying for a more industrial look). I was also never planning to buy a chaise, but now I can't stop picturing myself circa Downton Abbey draped glamorously across one of these!.
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hi Asomer,

You'll be amused to know that I'm now experiencing a similar dilemma as you with respect to RH furniture. I wasn't planning to buy anything from RH at all, but I recently found one of these: https://www.restorationhardware.com/...ryId=cat560005 on sale on my local craigslist, only a few months old, for $800.

I had an "oh my god, I'm literally dying" moment, even though I'm hesitant about what to spend. It's not even really my style (I live in a loft, and have been trying for a more industrial look). I was also never planning to buy a chaise, but now I can't stop picturing myself circa Downton Abbey draped glamorously across one of these!.
    Jenny,
    Lol, no need to defend yourself with regards to RH, girl!! I totally get it!!

I am in LOVE with the look they've essentially trademarked: soft industrial. Everything looks like a worn antique, & most of it is upholstered in neutral tones of linen &/or leather. I even love their wood finish options: burnt driftwood anyone? Haha

What's retail at RH on that chaise? If it's way above the $800 mark, I'd jump & get it. That's a steal for THAT look!! Your other options are scouring the antique stores for a similar chaise & having to possibly get it refinished& re-upholstered: NOT cheap. So, it's leg work plus costs of upholstering, refinishing compared to $800 for the convenience & instant gratification of having it now.

Their new RH MODERN line has several pieces specifically commissioned for RH by Thayer Coggin, inc the famous T-back Milo Baughman chairs!

Long story, short: when it comes to analyzing the quality & value of their furniture, I truly believe some of it is just Chinese made, overpriced junk that looks fab brand-new. But, just take a look on Craigslist or eBay at some used RH furniture & you'll see the reality. However, for a reputable U.S. made high-end furniture manufacturer like Thayer Coggin to go in with RH on several pieces, says to me they've either nailed the marketing of their aesthetic. Or, they quite possibly DO have some quality items.

Now, I've read tons & tons of horror stories about their utter lack of customer service AFTER the sale. Frustrated ppl who spent $20,000+ in a single order having numerous difficulties in getting pieces delivered, or replaced due to damages incurred during shipping, etc. THAT has scared me off of ever doing a large order, or an order consisting of several pieces with them!

But, if I find some used RH piece online for a reasonable asking price, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.

Lol, in my particular case: it was a guy in Indianapolis(I'm in Houston, btw) trying to sell a matching pair of 2yr old RH Capri sofas that he paid ~$3,650 each for & he was seriously asking $3,500 for each??!! That's a joke! Those sofas are 2yrs old & didn't even have the slipcovers I wanted: for me to order my desired slipcover from RH would've easily cost me $850-$1,000. So, I'd actually be paying MORE for his used sofa than if I'd just bought a new one!

The chaise is to die for; I say get it!! Oh, & I LOVE Downton Abbey too

Hi Asomer,

Jenny,
    Lol, no need to defend yourself with regards to RH, girl!! I totally get it!!

I am in LOVE with the look they've essentially trademarked: soft industrial. Everything looks like a worn antique, & most of it is upholstered in neutral tones of linen &/or leather. I even love their wood finish options: burnt driftwood anyone? Haha

What's retail at RH on that chaise? If it's way above the $800 mark, I'd jump & get it. That's a steal for THAT look!! Your other options are scouring the antique stores for a similar chaise & having to possibly get it refinished & re-upholstered: NOT cheap. So...it's leg work plus costs of re-upholstering &/or refinishing. Or, $800 for the convenience & instant gratification of having it now. Um yea, that's an easy one! Haha

Their new RH MODERN line has several pieces specifically commissioned for RH by Thayer Coggin, inc Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggin famous T-back chairs. They're outside, stainless steel, or brass framed lounge chairs. And honestly, probably a bit more modern than most ppl reading this forum, or shopping at RH for that matter would typically go for. But, they're classics & an original from the 60s can go well into 5 figures on 1stdibs.

Long story, short: when it comes to analyzing & discussing the quality & value of RH's furniture; I truly believe some of it is just Chinese made, overpriced junk that looks fabulous brand-new. Just look on Craigslist or eBay at some of the used RH furniture ppl are selling & you'll see that's very much the case. However, for a reputable, American made, high-end furniture manufacturer like Thayer Coggin to collaborate with RH on several pieces has to mean something, right? Thayer Coggin wouldn't take the risk to their reputation by partnering with RH to build less than quality pieces? Either Thayer Coggin's bought into RH's marketing of their aesthetic like most everybody else? Or, RH quite possibly does make some quality items? It's prob a little bit of both. They can't make great furniture & lighting & bedding & drapery, etc while being able to create quality in all those aspects. But, they can focus their R&D on 1 specific area, heavily invest in that & produce a quality product in that particular category, while allowing the other categories to ride the coattails of the quality product. That's what I personally think you're getting with RH's furniture.

Now, I've read tons & tons of horror stories about their utter lack of customer service AFTER the sale. Frustrated ppl who spent $20,000+ in a single order having numerous difficulties in getting pieces delivered, or replaced due to damages incurred during shipping, etc. THAT has scared me off of ever doing a large order, or an order consisting of several pieces with them!

But, if I find some used RH piece online for a reasonable asking price, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.

Lol, in my particular case: it was a guy in Indianapolis(I'm in Houston, btw) trying to sell a matching pair of 2yr old RH Capri sofas that he paid ~$3,650 each for & was seriously asking $3,500 each??!! That's a joke! Those sofas are 2yrs old & didn't even have the slipcovers I wanted: for me to order my desired slipcover from RH would've easily cost me $850-$1,000. So, I'd actually be paying MORE for his used sofa than if I'd just bought a new one!

The chaise is to die for; I say get it!! Oh, & I LOVE Downton Abbey too
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Jenny Guest

I think it's $1199 normally, which isn't that far above $800, but I do hope I can get it for a little bit less since it's a completely unplanned purchase and not everyone is in the market for a chaise. I'm not confident about RH, but I know that there are similarly priced pieces from much crappier manufacturers.

The real struggle will be convincing the significant other to rent a truck and pick it up for me. He already thinks I've spent far too much on far too little when it comes to furniture.

I think it's $1199 normally, which isn't that far above $800, but I do hope I can get it for a little bit less since it's a completely unplanned purchase and not everyone is in the market for a chaise. I'm not confident about RH, but I know that there are similarly priced pieces from much crappier manufacturers.

The real struggle will be convincing the significant other to rent a truck and pick it up for me. He already thinks I've spent far too much on far too little when it comes to furniture.
    Ooh well, when you factor in rental of truck costs, depending on how far you're driving it all kinda evens out, ya know?

Those $19.99 Uhaul trucks have NEVER cost me under $100!! And, that was ONLY for local, less than 25 miles put on the truck moves.

Lo, I'm single so have nobody I need to convince to help me move stuff...I usually just end up paying my guy friends $300 to move my stuff. I'd say $100 is a fair price to pay a friend to go fetch the chaise if they have their own pickup truck.

You're in a dilemma for sure! Men(except Duane, of course!) just DON'T understand our obsessions with living amongst beautiful furniture & decor...well, I'd tell your SO, nicely: "if I must be subjected to hours of football every Sunday & Monday for a 1/3 of every year, I'd at least like to be comfortable." Haha

Oh, & you most definitely CAN mix eras & styles in a loft!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid-4.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	8432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51b648c2fb04d67b5d000ef8._w.540_s.fit_.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	8433  

Jenny Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
    Oh, & you most definitely CAN mix eras & styles in a loft!!
    I love that look. I'll post some pictures of my place in a few weeks when the sofa I ordered in February finally arrives.

I started from scratch furniture-wise about 6 months ago. It's been really hard to decide on each piece. I saw that you are in interior design, so I look forward to your advice then

I love that look. I'll post some pictures of my place in a few weeks when the sofa I ordered in February finally arrives.

I started from scratch furniture-wise about 6 months ago. It's been really hard to decide on each piece. I saw that you are in interior design, so I look forward to your advice then
    Wow seriously, from scratch?? Me too!!

I made some really irrational moves in the past few years within VERY short amounts of time(moved in with a bf in Denver & just took my clothes, shoes, TV, movies & books. Then, within a 2 week period back in '11, I decided I wanted to move to NYC: I sold the remaining furniture I had left down here in a storage unit from the time of the Denver move.)

I'd always hung onto my mattress & bed frame, bedding, my very large book & movie collection & small stuff like that. I was traveling with work so much the past 2 years & was only home few days a week. Having an empty living room didn't bother me...until ppl came over to hangout & I realized I'd need to get serious bout replacing the items I'd given away or sold.

I'm older now & my style & tastes have done a complete 180° from when I owned all that low to mid-range furniture I'd bought just cause I liked the way it looked & needed something ASAP.

That's why I'm being diligent & educating myself through this whole journey. It's my money this time(not my parent's.) I also have grown to really appreciate & admire high quality design, construction & materials.

I'm a very "have to have it now" type & originally planned on furnishing my entire place, inc decor within a 6 month time frame. Since joining this forum, I've been able to slow the rush considerably & take Duane's advice of buying 1 or 2 quality pieces per year.

Incidentally, since your style sounds a lot like mine, which sofa & leather did you choose for your loft? I love the high-end, handmade aspect of H&M, but am finding most of their sofas too traditional for me. The Parisian being an exception as it's a pretty faithful copy of Coco Chanel's famous suede sofa from her Paris apartment

Jenny Guest

Similar story: I moved across the country for work last year and ditched all of my furniture (junky IKEA stuff) during the move except for the bare essentials. I'm also a "have to have it now" kind of person, which is difficult because the things I like also change over time (SO will tell you ALL about the few months I was convinced we just HAD to get a hanging egg chair for the loft).

I bought a B&Y Xander sofa. It's one of the few that are still "apartment"-sized. I think my taste is a mix of french country and industrial... so, really, I don't have any clue what I'm doing ha!
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-11-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Similar story: I moved across the country for work last year and ditched all of my furniture (junky IKEA stuff) during the move except for the bare essentials. I'm also a "have to have it now" kind of person, which is difficult because the things I like also change over time (SO will tell you ALL about the few months I was convinced we just HAD to get a hanging egg chair for the loft).

I bought a B&Y Xander sofa. It's one of the few that are still "apartment"-sized. I think my taste is a mix of french country and industrial... so, really, I don't have any clue what I'm doing ha!
    Jenny,

I'll have to check out the Xander. I don't think I've seen it, or if I have, I don't remember. Lol

My mom is a certified French Country addict! Omg, she's got her whole house decked out with custom toile curtains & of course, the kitchen's primary colors are red, yellow & black: lots of checkered patterns & roosters going on in there. My slightly younger sis has taken on that look in her new townhouse as well.

Lol now, on the complete other side of the spectrum is me! I'm obsessed with grey right now & that soft industrial look RH has worked so hard to convince ppl of my age(I'm in my mid 30s,) that we just HAVE to have!! I'm into minimalist, sleek, Scandinavian pieces for wood case goods. And, rough, hewn wood bookshelves with iron shelving supports, live edge tables, etc...the whole industrial look without going full on, ya know?

However, I absolutely adore authentic French antiques!! Especially anything from the Louis XV, Louis XVI & Directoire(Napoleon) eras. Sometimes, I'll just flip through 1stdibs looking at a $75,000 French bergere with its original upholstery all tattered & thinking how great that chair would look next to Barcelona chair...

I don't think I could personally live day in & day out with my place looking like a photo shoot from Architectural Digest tho. Comfort & being able to maximize my chill time is VERY important: so, I'm compromising