Shopping for our first "Real" sofa has been an experience. I started wanting a leather motion sofa, and we are now looking at leather sectionals. Duane had me sold on H&M or B&Y and after going and looking at them we just can't afford what we want/need in a leather sectional. I totally get it, I really do, and now that I am sold on it, we just can't do it... so now we are wondering what the best (in a value proposition sense) move to make is?

How do you take a step down from those companies and still get value and quality? Obviously we won't get the SAME quality, but what sorts of features, leathers, etc... how do you choose - based on whats in that next tier in a new sofa sectional?

We looked at Smith Bros. but I feel like there isn't THAT much of a savings, and the quality is a big step down. We have been to 5 stores, everything from big box, to state chains, to single family owned boutiques and I know more than all 7 of the sales people I have talked to, and have only been researching this for 2 weeks.

So now what? Is it insane to think that we can get a decent mid-level quality leather sectional in the $5-6K range? I feel like after seeing a H&M sofa today for $4K we should be able to take one step down and purchase something at that range, that is still a good value and decent build.

Anyone have a similar experience with positive results?