Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
All wide-board furniture made of solids will seasonally move. It will shrink in the winter and expand in the summer. In addition to movement, the wood wants to cup, or return to its natural state as a round tree. The art of the cabinetmaker is controlling that movement through joinery techniques. When building using plywood, veneers or narrow strip boards this is not an issue. On that headboard, there is nothing to control that movement and curl unless the cabinetmaker has put in hidden battens (strips of wood running 90 degrees to the grain) which are complex in and of themselves to do. That's the only way you can control movement in a live edge piece. The vertical attachment points on that headboard do nothing to control edge movement. Here's something you can read into if interested, this only touches the surface and becomes much more detailed in fine woodworking.

A sure sign of a novice or inexperienced woodworker is someone that uses hardware store lumber and has no clue as to how to control movement. Their projects will blow up, guaranteed.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...rstanding.html
Oh God, that's scary!! And, most likely why I don't see myself in the garage one of these weekends building anything, let alone a bed! Lol, I'm as far from a DIY 'er as they come! If I can pay someone to do it, I will.