Quote Originally Posted by Asomer View Post
I've always loved the look of George Nelson's Case Study beds from the 50s, very hot right now with the MCM crowd!

There's a 1 man show cabinetmaker/wood worker on Etsy who specializes in custom, solid wood beds & he makes an excellent copy of Case Study. He also charges about $3,500 for the bed in a queen size. Is that about the norm for a custom, solid walnut wood queen size bed?

I don't remember his name off the top of my head, or have the link to his shop on Etsy but if you search "George Nelson bed" on Etsy it usually pops up in top search results.

On a side note(but in same realm,) I really like the live edge look that's in now, yet some of these items are crazy expensive! Like, upwards of high 4 figures to low 5 figures!! Is live edge wood case goods(headboards, tables, etc) really that expensive to make? Or is the rarity of the live edge & artistry involved in the making of these items that commands those prices?
Hey Asomer,

is this the kind of solid walnut queen bed your looking for?

If so, this one's about $500 cheaper!

In response to your question about the live edge tables, the reason the prices are so high is a combination of things. Firstly, it's difficult to find a tree big enough to create a live-edge table before it get's cut up at the sawmill. Secondly, there is a lot of skill that goes into creating a live edge table, very few possess the ability to do it well on a consistent basis. Thirdly, slabs of wood that big are difficult to work with, especially if you don't have the right equipment, which is a large expense in itself. In addition, to top it all off, it's very expensive to ship a table that big.

Hope this was helpful,
Riley F