Thread: New Hancock and Moore Occaisional Line

Ci2Eye Guest

Default New Hancock and Moore Occaisional Line

What do we know about the new line of case goods being launched under the Hancock and Moore brand? Will the products be American made and produced by Jimmy Moore and the folks currently building the frames for their leather line, or American made by Century, or will they be imported products just branded with the H&M name? I hope not the later.

http://www.furnituretoday.com/articl...ccasional-line

Judyg951 Guest

Default Re: New Hancock and Moore Occaisional Line

It sounds interesting to me. I hope they are going to be good pieces. I still am looking for end tables and have not found anything just right. I will be following this post.

imported products just branded with the H&M name < This. Remember that Century owns them now, these are through the Century vendors.

I probably will go to Market in 12 days, and I will look at them as well.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ci2Eye View Post
    What do we know about the new line of case goods being launched under the Hancock and Moore brand? Will the products be American made and produced by Jimmy Moore and the folks currently building the frames for their leather line, or American made by Century, or will they be imported products just branded with the H&M name? I hope not the later.

http://www.furnituretoday.com/articl...ccasional-line
    I read that article & liked the cpl designs they featured. Very modern looking & was surprised to learn that the pieces are scaled more for city dwellers since some of H&M's sofas are on quite the grand scale.

If they're imported pieces branded with the H&M name, I'd hope they still meet the build quality expected of H&M. Otherwise, it might end up being one of those good on paper ideas that just never translated well in the real world.

I'd also be curious to see the pricing on these pieces as they won't be American made. Will Century try to go off the prestige of the H&M brand & price these in line with H&M's usual, American made pieces? I'm leaning towards that's most likely how they'll be priced.

Wouldn't make sense for Century to have H&M create a case goods line, tho it only be imported products branded with the H&M name, only to price them at a much lower price point than H&M's American made line...that's as much a recipe for this becoming a failed venture as would be the quality being suspect when compared to H&M's American made line as I mentioned above.

I will assess on Sunday when I am at Market - not going to speculate until I have seen the product.
    Duane Collie

Duane, did you have a chance to assess the quality of H&M occasional pieces? I have my eye on the HM1331L Atticus Lamp Table. I love the contrast in the walnut graining but wonder if the drawer is dovetailed and if the veneer is of good quality. Also, I wonder about the brass on the legs. Poor quality there could result in tarnishing quickly and would really ruin that piece. Brass on the legs seems to be a trend now, but I remember that being a classic design element used in fine quality furniture decades ago.

The H&M Occasional line is something set up almost entirely by Century Furniture (Rock House Brands - who owns Hancock and Moore) and is all imported. China / Vietnam / Malaysia. I do have pieces in the store from both H&M and Century in these groups and the quality is high on all, its not junk.

Most brass these days comes out of India, there are no USA brass foundries that I know of except for a few highly specialized ones like Ball and Ball in PA or Horton Brasses in CT. Some of their brass is imported as well (mostly from England). Like most commodities you can do them well or do them cheaply. Colonial Williamsburg brass items for example, were done for decades by Virginia Metalcrafters in Waynesboro VA. They went out of business in the late 90's and then Sedgefield Lamps took over the contract, using brass pieces made in India. When I compared them, the Indian brass was actually better with less flaws in it and finished nicer. So much for everything from the USA being the best. Sedgefield too, went out of business about eight years ago and no one makes that category now.
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-01-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Duane Collie

Good morning, Duane. Again, thank you so much for your prompt reply! You’ve been so very helpful.