Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Talk

bubbaonline Guest

Default Re: Car Talk

I just replaced the cooling system in my '06 330Ci. About $1600 through my independent, with me buying aftermarket parts on-line. (some OEM stuff). I have 99K miles, and the only thing I went upgrade on was a Stewart water pump. I think another 100K miles will be good enough. ;-). ($1600 includes the parts).

I think I'll drive it about 3 more years. I've had it for six years already. Six years was the plan, but I like it so well, it's hard to pull the trigger on another one.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Here's the problem with BMW cooling systems. They went to 'environmentally friendly' materials in the late 1990's bragging in their literature that the entire car was very ecologically friendly when used up and scrapped. The trouble then became that the plastics on the water pump, radiator and coolant tanks decided to re-cycle themselves much earlier. They got rock hard with heat and the vibration cracks the plastics and you overheat. It's a known issue on all BMW's and happens around the 100K mark. So what those of us that pull our own wrenches do is replace them with aluminum aftermarket parts - especially the radiator - and that solves the issue. More costly than the plastic OEM parts, but no more crapped out coolant systems.

Did you know that if you join BMWCCA and hold your membership for one year, you get very nice discounts on new and CPO BMW's? Here's the current structure:

https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate

Also there is one for BMW motorcycles as a CCA member, and that one is instant.

The X5 was my wife's, bought new in 2003 and driven to 133K miles. It had its share of issues but wasn't a bad ride. Too big and ponderous now, we don't haul kids around any more - they're grown up. Now my wife has an Audi SQ5 which is SUPER fast with 356 HP and I have a X4 with the 300 HP engine. The Audi is a hoot to drive and has better brakes being an "S" model, but the BMW is nicer on the highway. X3/X4 platform overall is much more fun to drive than the X5/X6 series. X2 should be even more so when it comes out. Then again, if you really want the sports car SUV - it would be the Porsche Macan, hand's down. I almost got the Macan, but since I already have one Porsche didn't need another and it was another $ 15K over the X4.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rides.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	8440
    Last edited by drcollie; 04-14-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

sstarrx2 Guest

What year is your 911?

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.