Thread: Review of Ceva Logistics

Jenny Guest

Default Review of Ceva Logistics

I received my new B-Y today. I did not, unfortunately, order from Duane - instead I did an impulse purchase when I was visiting a friend out of state. The store used a delivery service company called Ceva Logistics. I ordered it with white glove delivery. Cost was ~$300.

Two movers handled the delivery to my apartment building. They arrived on-time and called 10 minutes ahead. My sofa is one of the smaller sofas out there - 83” W and 39" H&D, 230 pounds. When they were moving out of the truck and into the building, there were some cringe worthy dings and they seemed to struggle with the weight.

One corner ended up dinged a little bit (half-inch scratches, past the finished leather surface), and the back has a dent with some ripples in it. I don't know what to say - I'm really happy with the sofa, disappointed with the damage, but I didn't feel like complaining to the moving guys. One of them didn't speak any English, and they were tired because it was later in the day. I noted the damage, and they didn't say anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	8469Click image for larger version. 

Views:	381 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	8470
    Last edited by Jenny; 04-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Review of Ceva Logistics

Hi, Jenny.

From what I've read in the forum, it might be possible for you to do the touch-up on that scratch. Also, I seem to recall reading something about using a hair dryer to coax that loose area into tightening.

TXCajun

I have a lot of empathy for you. I have also had bad experiences with CEVA Logistics.

Prior to ordering furniture from The Keeping Room, I ordered some H&M furniture from a big box store that has a national account with CEVA for their deliveries. First two chairs I purchased were dinged up as they were brought though the front door. The deliver guys then broke the frame of the sofa as they removed it from the packing box. I rejected delivery of the sofa but kept the chairs.

I purchased another two chairs and those survived the delivery but the sofa was damaged a second time. This time it was compression damage to the top of the sofa's wood frame (the damage appeared to be about the width of a fork from a powered industrial truck and about 1/4 inch deep). Once again, I rejected the soda delivery and after 4 weeks I was given a refund.

The third time was the charm. I ordered another sofa but this time I ordered it from Duane. He recommended that I use the H&M Guaranteed Delivery program. This program delivers the furniture to a local moving and storage company of your choice (you must make arrangements ahead of time, there must be a receiving dock, and I had to pay a dock receiving fee and pay for an hourly rate for two delivery men's time.).

The local moving guys inspected the sofa after it came off the truck with a fine tooth comb, blanket wrapped it for transport to my house (about 10 miles), unloaded it, and moved it into my home. They used clip-on door frame pads to minimize the potential for damage as the sofa was moved through the door. They didn't need it because the sofa never touched the door frame. The delivery was so quick and professional that I did not even have time to take pictures of the sofa outside. There was zero damage to the leather or to the upgraded finish during delivery.

The lesson I learned was not only does Duane have aggressive pricing but he also explains your delivery options, provides delivery costs, and explains the potential for damage with each delivery method. This level of customer service is why I continue to purchase furniture from The Keeping Room.

Jenny Guest

I think so too. I called the store to ask if they could send me whatever to touch it up (a pen? a little paint thing?), but instead they wanted to schedule a repair person to come look at it. I think I'd rather go with a kit because it's a pain to miss work. I've been researching what I can order online to do it myself.

Hair dryer? I'll have to look into that :O

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I have a lot of empathy for you. I have also had bad experiences with CEVA Logistics.

Prior to ordering furniture from The Keeping Room, I ordered some H&M furniture from a big box store that has a national account with CEVA for their deliveries. First two chairs I purchased were dinged up as they were brought though the front door. The deliver guys then broke the frame of the sofa as they removed it from the packing box. I rejected delivery of the sofa but kept the chairs.

I purchased another two chairs and those survived the delivery but the sofa was damaged a second time. This time it was compression damage to the top of the sofa's wood frame (the damage appeared to be about the width of a fork from a powered industrial truck and about 1/4 inch deep). Once again, I rejected the soda delivery and after 4 weeks I was given a refund.

The third time was the charm. I ordered another sofa but this time I ordered it from Duane. He recommended that I use the H&M Guaranteed Delivery program. This program delivers the furniture to a local moving and storage company of your choice (you must make arrangements ahead of time, there must be a receiving dock, and I had to pay a dock receiving fee and pay for an hourly rate for two delivery men's time.).

The local moving guys inspected the sofa after it came off the truck with a fine tooth comb, blanket wrapped it for transport to my house (about 10 miles), unloaded it, and moved it into my home. They used clip-on door frame pads to minimize the potential for damage as the sofa was moved through the door. They didn't need it because the sofa never touched the door frame. The delivery was so quick and professional that I did not even have time to take pictures of the sofa outside. There was zero damage to the leather or to the upgraded finish during delivery.

The lesson I learned was not only does Duane have aggressive pricing but he also explains your delivery options, provides delivery costs, and explains the potential for damage with each delivery method. This level of customer service is why I continue to purchase furniture from The Keeping Room.
    Thanks for your post, Kevin. Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the forum, but yours is the first account I've read from someone using that delivery option. It's good to hear from someone who has been there, done that. As appreciative as I am for your detailed accounting, I am so very sorry you went through all the bad to get to the good.

TXCajun

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I received my new B-Y today. I did not, unfortunately, order from Duane - instead I did an impulse purchase when I was visiting a friend out of state. The store used a delivery service company called Ceva Logistics. I ordered it with white glove delivery. Cost was ~$300.

Two movers handled the delivery to my apartment building. They arrived on-time and called 10 minutes ahead. My sofa is one of the smaller sofas out there - 83” W and 39" H&D, 230 pounds. When they were moving out of the truck and into the building, there were some cringe worthy dings and they seemed to struggle with the weight.

One corner ended up dinged a little bit (half-inch scratches, past the finished leather surface), and the back has a dent with some ripples in it. I don't know what to say - I'm really happy with the sofa, disappointed with the damage, but I didn't feel like complaining to the moving guys. One of them didn't speak any English, and they were tired because it was later in the day. I noted the damage, and they didn't say anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	379 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	8469Click image for larger version. 

Views:	381 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	8470
    Jenny,
    Did they scratch the sofa only? Or, did they scratch the sofa coming thru a doorway or bumping into a wall, thus scratching that location too? That ripple in the back would bother the hell outta me floating a sofa in the middle of the room like that!

Deff try the hairdryer trick. But, I think Duane posted pics of a sofa he unloaded himself that looked similar on the back as yours: but, the difference was, it was only 30° outside/in the truck & the low temps caused the leather to do that temporarily.

Have you called CEVA themselves, to report the damage & lack of acknowledgment of it by the drivers? I know you feel bad for them, cause it's the end of the day, it was heavy, yada, yada...but, THIS is their job. They're not friends of yours, doing you a favor delivering the sofa to you: you paid roughly $300 for supposedly 2 "professional" movers to deliver your sofa. You have every right to pursue a remedy thru CEVA &/or even request a partial refund on the delivery charges.

Lol, I'm not saying go stir up a hornet's nest of outrage over a scratch. But, I'd deff explain, nicely that you watched in an obviously anxious state of mind as the 2 movers bumped & banged the sofa up to your aptmt & after you verbally stated you were aware damage had been caused to your new sofa, they just kinda stood there not offering any follow-up contact info, etc & for $300 that's a joke. Lol, I'd also causally throw it in that you have already posted this entire joke of an experience including photographs, on a furniture forum read by mainly B&Y current & future customers that's ran by one of the most reputable B&Y dealers in the country!

If that doesn't get their attention, then I dunno what would!!

Jenny Guest

The ripple looks like something was pressed against the sofa during transport. There's nothing behind that leather at that particular spot, so I think the leather got a little stretched. It was certainly not cold out yesterday, and the spot's still there.

I did note the damage on the delivery papers, and the store is going to send me someone to try to repair the damage on some Saturday in mid-May.

I think it just makes me sad to see such a beautiful piece damaged by rough handling, when it was created with such care and good material from the manufacturer's side.

I don't know if those delivery people were well-paid employees or illegal workers paid pennies on the dollar under the table. I just felt guilty complaining to them - like, serious first world problems or something. Which is probably racist and terrible, because you bet I would have said something if they were two average Joe American guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The ripple looks like something was pressed against the sofa during transport. There's nothing behind that leather at that particular spot, so I think the leather got a little stretched. It was certainly not cold out yesterday, and the spot's still there.

I did note the damage on the delivery papers, and the store is going to send me someone to try to repair the damage on some Saturday in mid-May.

I think it just makes me sad to see such a beautiful piece damaged by rough handling, when it was created with such care and good material from the manufacturer's side.

I don't know if those delivery people were well-paid employees or illegal workers paid pennies on the dollar under the table. I just felt guilty complaining to them - like, serious first world problems or something. Which is probably racist and terrible, because you bet I would have said something if they were two average Joe American guys.
    Shut the front door!! "Some Saturday, around mid May?!"

Um, excuse me?? Hell no!! That's not good enough. Not even close!

$300 for "professional, White Glove Delivery," means exactly that!

It doesn't mean, sending out delivery personnel unable to understand or communicate directly with you, or completely botching a job they're trained to do: delivering an item I presume they deliver on a daily basis! To top it all off: any damages incurred during their "professional delivery" service caused by them is just gonna have to wait, since they're only offering to send someone out to evaluate & then repair the already documented damage..at their convenience, NOT yours?!

I'd call them up 1st thing tom morning, requesting someone be sent out immediately. If that just absolutely isn't an option; I'd then request that someone be sent out no later than 5-7 business days from delivery date of the sofa.

If it were me in this situation; I'd also request a written summary & approval of whatever their proposed repair &/or replacement options are.

I'd make a real effort of speaking to the point, only focusing on the facts. I'd try my best to leave the emotions outta it(believe me: that's more easily said than done,)...it's really the ONLY tried & true way of ensuring their support & willingness to help.

Oh, & if the delivery guys were indeed illegal aliens, they'd have been more than just careful with your sofa: they'd have gingerly handled it, as though it were a baby. Customer complaints & dissatisfaction are too much of a risk for them.

I live in Houston, Texas where we have a HUGE illegal alien population: ALL of them, are as nice & sweet as can be. They're also willing to do just about any job & with a smile. I don't agree with they're being here illegally, but I'll give them props for being very hard workers!
    Last edited by Asomer; 04-20-2016 at 01:15 AM.

The 'ripple' in the back panel as nothing to do with delivery or damage, all large panels from every maker do that, some more than others. That's very much average, I would say half the sofas that come into my store have a back panel like that. You can put the piece out in the sunlight on a warm day for a couple of hours and it will tighten up some or use a hair dryer on it for 15 to 20 minutes, but it's not really something I would consider a defect or delivery damage.

The corner rubs are from transit, if a finished leather that's an easy touch=up with a little paint color coded to the leather. B-Y will send you a bottle free of charge, just contact your selling dealer for it. If a pure aniline, rub some Vaseline Intensive Care hand lotion into it and you'll be good to go.

None of these companies use illegal workers, they are driving Commercial Trucks which require a CDL license, insurance and being on the payroll.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The 'ripple' in the back panel as nothing to do with delivery or damage, all large panels from every maker do that, some more than others. That's very much average, I would say half the sofas that come into my store have a back panel like that. You can put the piece out in the sunlight on a warm day for a couple of hours and it will tighten up some or use a hair dryer on it for 15 to 20 minutes, but it's not really something I would consider a defect or delivery damage.

The corner rubs are from transit, if a finished leather that's an easy touch=up with a little paint color coded to the leather. B-Y will send you a bottle free of charge, just contact your selling dealer for it. If a pure aniline, rub some Vaseline Intensive Care hand lotion into it and you'll be good to go.

None of these companies use illegal workers, they are driving Commercial Trucks which require a CDL license, insurance and being on the payroll.
    Oh ok, see Jenny...your concerns, that turned into my concerns(LOL, jk) are mostly non-issues & easily fixable

Lol oops, hope you didn't make that "1st thing tom morning..." call I suggested? Do the hairdryer thing on the back panel & your leather is a finished leather. So, call up the place you bought your sofa when you were visiting your friend & ask them to send you B&Y's complimentary touch up kit/paint for your leather color.

Please post pics of the after shots so we can all see